• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Improved Outer Tactical Vest (IOTV) ESAPI/ESBI

Ryansdaddy

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2009
Fernley
Folks I have a question. I was auctioning an IOTV with all the plates on Ebay and I received an email telling me I needed to pull the auction because it was illeagle to sell thew? I have tryed to contact my local National Guard but they are gone for the 4th of July weekend. Does anyone have information on this? I can't find anything online that gives me the info. thank you

Re: Improved Outer Tactical Vest (IOTV) ESAPI/ESBI

As far as I know some states its illegal for Civilians to buy body armor. Quite a few people will not sell to civilians, most actually wont, but a few will in some states. Here in PA its only illegal to wear body armor in the commission of a crime... Go figure. But it's not illegal to purchase.

LOL that is funny how laws work. I got some offers on this IOTV before But now I am a little gun shy over selling them. I dont need 30 F.B.I. guys at my door in the morning.

Thank you for the heads up though I did not know there were states that do not allow body armor. Here in Nevada you can have everything but fireworks. BUt i can shoot off all the tracer ammo I want as long as it is 100 yards off the road way of course.

Again thank you

Pretty much the same here in PA. Fireworks are considered Destructive Devices anything that goes bang. (Yes even those really little ones. We only get sparklers and smoke bombs.) Plenty of fireworks factories here but you cant even walk in the store unless you have the proper license and paperwork if you live in PA. But out of staters can buy whatever they want.
confused.gif

I would just do some research on the state that the buyer is in before you sell it to them just to make sure your OK.

Alot of stolen IOTV/IBAs/NVG/PEQs on ebay, probably just someone who thinks they are doing you a favor... Sounds like youres was paid for out of your own pocket and you've hopefully got recipets/paper trail to proove it, definetely include that information in the auction and keep some copies after the sale.

Otherwise...

A local gun store here sells body armor. Some wear it at the gun range. I go to Knob Creek every year. You will see shooters wear it to protect them from an accidents. Nothing illegal about it.

Most places that i have come across wont sell to civilians, they want a valid mil or Le id to prove that you can buy it. That being said, the reason that you probably got told on EGay that you couldnt sell is because many stolen military issue items end up on there. Just make sure you have a good paper trail to prove that you purchased it

Last time I checked egay, only Level IV plates were banned.

If your plates are less than that, e.g. III++, then it may be another issue re IOTV and its accessories. Maybe they saw a "US" print on the plates thinking it's USGI issue.

Hello:

I just wanted to know if you had sold the IOTV as of yet. I am in the process of looking for a complete setup. Please let me know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xtreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello:

I just wanted to know if you had sold the IOTV as of yet. I am in the process of looking for a complete setup. Please let me know.

</div></div>
What size do you need? Will large work? I can get you an IOTV and a plate carrier with the ESAPI front, back, and both side plates..... FREE!!!!! Come by tent 4 to claim said items!!!

oh yeah, I will need your return airline ticket in exchange!

Tent 4 is the one just to the left and down from tent 3 right? should I see you before or after I see my LNO?

IOTV's (and OTV's and plates) are a 100% accountable item. If you lose or have yours stolen, you are financially responsible for it. But here's the b!tch of it all, just because you pay the bill for lost stuff does not make it yours. If you find it or it's recovered, it must be returned. Thank all the idiots who in the beginning claimed to have crap stolen or lost, paid the percentage of the value, then sold their gear for profit.

If it was issued, it is government property until the DRMO says otherwise. To date, no SAPI, ESAPI, IOTV, or OTV manufactured under contract for the US Government is legal to own or sell. It doesn't matter if you have a bill of sale, receipt or a letter from your Senetor...by law it belongs to Uncle Sam.

There are some civilian versions, but if you buy those you'd better be sure of the source. Tags, markings and features are different. Just because someone on eGay says they bought it for "contract" work doesn't make it so. More often than not, it's some jackhole who stole it and is now trying to pass it off as personal property. Some may think, "Hey I'm a private citizen (not military) so if I buy it what's the government gonna do about it?" Well, the FBI and Military LEO (CID & OSI) can seize questionable gear pending investigation (good luck trying to get it back). Just visit any pawn or surplus shop near a military base and ask if they have an IOTV. The reputable ones won't touch the stuff and will tell it to you straight.

I've seen piles of questionable gear for sale on eGay. Sellers skirt the rules by not showing labels or in the case of plates, only the front side (U.S. is on the back). Be safe and avoid them. For those who read this and still want to buy? Be aware that eGay WILL readily hand over your info to the authorities upon request. So why don't they ban the sale of such items entirely? Simple, they're a business that gets their cut from the sale no matter what. And it's up to the sellers/buyers to comply with the law (read user agreement). eGay has a department of legal geeks who know the law and remain in compliance just be providing infomation whenever requested. Okay, I know some are thinking "Dude you're full of it! I've never heard of anyone getting busted from eGay." Well believe what you want, but know that: 1) eBay is not going to advertise that they turn people in. 2) Sellers and buyers are not going to comment on pending investigations.

Be smart and save yourself the troubles. If you want an IOTV, buy a replica or wait until they become a surplus sale item. And don't think you're safe in buying the real deal and stripping the labels...there is nothing more questionable than something that's unmarked and can still be seized. How is all this legal? It's covered under a B.S. National Security addendum to Title 18 of the United States Code.

ETA: Damn, I kinda come off sounding like a d!ckless boy scout on the matter. But I had to buy all my own armor 8 years ago when they were in short supply and to see people selling servicable gear that can be reissued just pisses me off. Rather than being that "NO" guy...if anyone needs to replace gear to clear CIF, feel free to contact me directly. There are not for profit groups out there that put together gear from remnants and civilian market items to help soldiers/airmen meet their turn in requirements. So olease no gear whores.

i received an email about ebay banning sales of certain IBA, OTVS, etc.
im pretty sure they just pick and choose who they tell to stop selling or who they end the auctions for as i continually see things cancelled and the same thing in another auction go to completion. there reasoning is because of the stolen .mil property, etc.

for what its worth... i havent yet found a supplier of NEW body armor that will sell outright to a civilian. from my understanding there is no actual law forbidding the sale to civilians of new body armor, its just some way the mil contracts are set up. however once an LE or .mil person has the body armor they can then sell to whoever they want. most states dont forbid possession of body armor. i've seen full otv's with level 4 plates at guns all the time.

speaking about ebay rules... they also recently banned the same of various gun parts.

i recently received an email from them saying that selling certain uniforms, bdu's, etc overseas may be a violation of the international arms treaty of 07. they wont let you list an item made from bdu's or a surplus bdu uniform if you offer over seas shipping.

easiest thing to do is put your vest for sale on the for sale section of this board. egay is what it is. lots of rules and regs. its very un 'gun' friendly'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bugg25</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Xtreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello:

</div></div>
What size do you need? Will large work? I can get you an IOTV and a plate carrier with the ESAPI front, back, and both side plates..... FREE!!!!! Come by tent 4 to claim said items!!!

oh yeah, I will need your return airline ticket in exchange! </div></div>

Thats some funny shit !!! LMAO ..............

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i recently received an email from them saying that selling certain uniforms, bdu's, etc overseas may be a violation of the international arms treaty of 07. they wont let you list an item made from bdu's or a surplus bdu uniform if you offer over seas shipping. </div></div>
That's great! I'm glad they are enforcing it!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brutus1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
easiest thing to do is put your vest for sale on the for sale section of this board. egay is what it is. lots of rules and regs. its very un 'gun' friendly' </div></div>
The RIGHT thing to do is not offer it to ANYONE overseas! Soldiers get everything they need as far as uniforms and armor (now) if they use their chain of command properly.
With ROE the way it is now, it is hard enough being justified in your actions against suspected threats..... imagine if they are wearing the same uniform as you! Just recently, a "well known" base was attacked by Taliban wearing ACUs. Without disclosing the details, they could have probably been more effective if they had any sense! That's the one thing we have going for us, most of them "aint that bright"!!!

i dont know man... seems like if the federal govt cant keep drugs out of maximum security prisons, stopping ebay sellers from selling 20 year old bdu uniforms to people outside of the US isnt going to be to effective in dealing with the problem you are talking about. im sure if the taliban wants ACU uniforms they can either call a 1 800 number and get them or get them from the same place their get their AK's.

not to mention it hurts the 'good guys' that often post on this board who live in spain, germany, sweden, switzerland, italy, the UK, etc. i have sold ghillie suits to guys from all of these countries. some were airsofters, some where precision shooters. it is now illegal for me to ship a ghillie suit outside the US now. the only thing that might be effective against foreigners in US uniforms is to stop selling surplus uniforms period and then send in the marines to confiscate all surplus uniforms in existence. do we really want that? and we know it wouldnt be effective at all.. not to mention violating everyones rights in the process.