• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Improving bolt lift DIY

Captain Kirk

Roberts Tactical Precison
Banned !
Here is a how to on smoothing out the bolt lift of a Remington, many rifles have similar cocking systems so the concept will carry over. This process does little to lighten the bolt lift, but it will greatly improve the feel and smoothness giving the impression of a lighter bolt lift. First, here is a pic of the bolt where the cocking piece "cams", this is one of the main areas you need to focus on, and as you can see, the machine work is pretty rough, and there is galling from the rough surfaces.

P7210526_zps0dcde612.jpg

here is a pic of the firing pin assembly, you also want to polish the marked area that makes contact with the bolt, these two surfaces make contact under heavy spring tension to reset the firing pin.

P7210527_zps1c7a3336.jpg

To polish these surfaces, it will require bolt disassembly. first, I use 1000-1200 wet/dry sandpaper with some light oil to clean up the machined surfaces, you can even move up to emery cloth or a finer grit. Here is a pic after a few minutes of 1000 grit and oil, doesn't take much.

P7210530_zps7fd4c55f.jpg

If you don't have the tools to disassemble the bolt, you can also get similar results using a very fine lapping compound, this will also "cut" the surfaces in relation to each other since it is assembled and under tension. With the lapping process, you need to thoroughly clean the surfaces and lube to ensure all the grit is removed.

If you want to take it a step further, you can smooth out the threaded surfaces in the bolt and on the bolt shroud. I do this by using a fine lapping compound and reassembling the two. Remember, when the bolt is assembled, the threads are rotating and making contact under a great deal of tension from the firing pin spring, the smoother these surfaces are the better the feel of the bolt.

A look at the threading

P7210529_zpsbf12ee0c.jpg

This is a process that is fairly easy, and can greatly improve the feel of the bolt, good luck!

Would you consider a photo, that is back about 6"? Us nuggets need more info (ie. the big picture). I've got Dremel!!! and some 1200 grit paste, I think I can manage this.

Thanks for the tip, looks like its something Ill have to try.

Just curious about corrosion on the raw metal faces ? is it likely to be an issue ?

Looks good. I think I will try it. I've always only greased these parts, a mirror finish with grease will be even better!

Thanks for sharing!

Has anyone else tried this and can give an AAR? sounds perfectly feasible, but id like another report on ease/effectiveness of this little tune-up

I've done the same to a couple Remington's. It helps ALOT! You also only need to polish the ramp and break over point. In the above photos the surface parallel to the center line was also polished but has no effect and therefor not needed. Hell my AIAX had a little imperfection from lack of lube and I polished it too.

Tag. Thanks dude! What are you using for a polishing compound, would valve lapping compound work well?

Valve lapping compound is a bit course. I used it on a savage with OK results. I think you can buy it in different grits online vs the one you buy over the counter at the parts store.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Not sure about the contents of the embedded video is for bolt disassembly (don't have my VPN on) but you can use the bridge of your shoe laces. Easiest/cheapest way to do it. Use it on assembly as well.

herofish: What bolt sections have you polished?
Is there any "how to" guide I should look for?
Thanks!

Last edited:
This idea was AMAZING.. Before, my bolt lift was very heavy, I had to use my thumb to lever against the tang to lift the bolt.. After some sanding and polishing, its slick as owl-shit now.. Thanks for the idea CAPTAIN KIRK!!

To work the threads are you just screwing it on and of multpile times OR are you doing it once then clean the bolt and reassemble?

Did this to three of my savages along with the bolt lift fix (5/32 ball bearing epoxied into a .38 case on the back of the firing pin assembly) made a huge difference!

Finally did this to my 06. Man what a difference! Thanks for the great info

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I put some mild abrasive on mine and just worked the hell out of it daily for a week. At the very least it improved my muscle memory working the bolt fast. Then I would take it apart again and re apply. Work the bolt a bunch again. then break it down and burnish with moly. Once that was done a lot of CLP and Rem. Spay(has Teflon) and moly greased the threads. Then sent in to the gun smith because it was GOOD TO GO. Heard of people letting the lugs mildly lap its self with JP I think. Anyway, your idea is good. I'm glad to see others are doing similar things as I. I had a sucky bolt in the service on my M24 that I did this to. They had done sent it in to the Remington Custom shop, but they didn't make it worth a flip. It always takes the shooter though to finalize his precision rig (Baby.) BullyDog
Here is a how to on smoothing out the bolt lift of a Remington, many rifles have similar cocking systems so the concept will carry over. This process does little to lighten the bolt lift, but it will greatly improve the feel and smoothness giving the impression of a lighter bolt lift. First, here is a pic of the bolt where the cocking piece "cams", this is one of the main areas you need to focus on, and as you can see, the machine work is pretty rough, and there is galling from the rough surfaces.

P7210526_zps0dcde612.jpg

here is a pic of the firing pin assembly, you also want to polish the marked area that makes contact with the bolt, these two surfaces make contact under heavy spring tension to reset the firing pin.

P7210527_zps1c7a3336.jpg

To polish these surfaces, it will require bolt disassembly. first, I use 1000-1200 wet/dry sandpaper with some light oil to clean up the machined surfaces, you can even move up to emery cloth or a finer grit. Here is a pic after a few minutes of 1000 grit and oil, doesn't take much.

P7210530_zps7fd4c55f.jpg

If you don't have the tools to disassemble the bolt, you can also get similar results using a very fine lapping compound, this will also "cut" the surfaces in relation to each other since it is assembled and under tension. With the lapping process, you need to thoroughly clean the surfaces and lube to ensure all the grit is removed.

If you want to take it a step further, you can smooth out the threaded surfaces in the bolt and on the bolt shroud. I do this by using a fine lapping compound and reassembling the two. Remember, when the bolt is assembled, the threads are rotating and making contact under a great deal of tension from the firing pin spring, the smoother these surfaces are the better the feel of the bolt.

A look at the threading

P7210529_zpsbf12ee0c.jpg

This is a process that is fairly easy, and can greatly improve the feel of the bolt, good luck!

Also, if you will work the bolt out to its open position, and watch were the cocking piece rubs against the cam. Noticing this, lube it up with abrasive, and lube, and work the bolt back down all the way. With the bolt down all the way pick up and lower it over and over as slow as possible. It will fight back but you will notice a spot where it seems to have the most tension and fight to role over. Then you work the bolt up and down on this spot as slow as possible muscling it to smooth out what I call the cam roll over spot. It will work that role over spot and smooth it down. My Stiller Tac 30 is baby smoth now. Hope you can understand what I'm trying to explain. Thanks

Cut a coil and a half off the firing pin spring and then grind it flat like the original one. Will make your bolt lift a TON easier. Done it to every rifle I have including my Defiance actions. Functionally it will be the same and it's never caused me a light strike.