• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Improving eyesight through changes in diet or supplements

WT1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
I wear glasses in some cases and often that can be problematic when switching weapons or in other circumstances because either they fog up or the focus from glasses to scope is off. I've noticed that a change in diet has improved my vision using iron sights. For one meal of the day, I will eat a meal of mixed vegetables only, nuked for six minutes (cup and half of veggies) then lightly salted and some butter or margarine for flavor. That seems to have helped somewhat. At least I think it is a noticeable difference.

I also located some information about an herbal supplement called "Eyebright" or "Eufrasia" that is supposed to improve your eyesight. Anyone use it? I'm hesitant to use any supplements even if deemed 'natural' because a lot of natural stuff can kill you. But I thought I'd just put a note out there to see if anyone has any experience with it?

I also heard eating lots of food high in vitamin A such as liver and so forth is good for you. But that's a flagrant foul for those of us who live in close quarters. Better to eat liver sausage, I guess. Orange colored foods, also.

My optometrist recently told me to eat green vegetables daily and fish vs red meat. I asked about fish oil vs actual fish, and he replied that fish oil is a waste of money.
He also said to cut down on phone/tv/computer use as much as possible.

Yes, a restaurant near me has an excellent salmon salad with all kinds of veggies in it. I usually get that. Mixed veggies can be a good meal actually if you season it right. I like steaks and burgers. Don't think I'll ever stop eating them but that is a good point, increase your green veggies. Thanks.

Reactions: 338dude
Following this. I have noticed since I have become busier that my eyesight gets worse through out the day. I know diet is the key to so many things but I guess just being complacent I never thought about diet affecting eyes.

Following as well. I have the typical mid-40s eyesight going to shit, interested in anything that will help.

Reactions: Ruger1300
Lutein....I've been taking it daily for two years now. I'll be 61 later this year and still have 20-15 distance vision. My up close vision of course has been poor since my late 40's. Eye doc says there's nothing we can do about that.

My diet is healthy...no processed food, carbonated drinks, and the only red meat I eat is lean wild game, maybe twice a week.

What many on this thread are describing is "Presbyopia" - often referred to as the aging eye condition, going to get all of us at some point, chances are most of us here have some degree of it now. For me, in the last 6 months, it's gone from being able to read my iPhone in the morning, to needing to wait for an hour or so after I get up. Vision improves throughout the day, getting best in the evening.

Presbyopia results in the inability to focus up close, a problem associated with refraction in the eye. Usually starts in the mid 40s for men, and gets continually worse. I made it to 55, and my eye doc has been trying bifocal contacts, but there really is little that can be done. It's not a lens issue as much as the muscles that focus the lens harden, as does the lens itself. I've done a ton of reading on how to correct this, either by nutrition or surgical intervention, and the answer is that little can be done.

More on this link - https://nei.nih.gov/healthyeyes/presbyopia

Attachments

• Presbyopia.gif
    Presbyopia.gif
    50.7 KB · Views: 49
Look for supplements that have the AREDS or AREDS2 protocol. These are some the above supplements and more that when taken together can decrease age related macular degeneration

Snake oil bud.

AREDS is not a terrible protocol, but I've been told a decent adult multivitamin and maybe some lutein is about all you can do.

Get regular refractions and make any needed corrections early and OFTEN, get pressures checked every year, keep your damn blood pressure down, and if it is available, go for the retinal photography even if it costs you out-of-pocket. The retinal photographic record achieved can be extremely helpful in later diagnoses and treatments.

This is the word of me, but me is informed by an uncle with pushing 50 years as an OD, and my primary OD who has about 40 years and is an accomplished shooter in his own right.

Snake oil bud.

AREDS is not a terrible protocol, but I've been told a decent adult multivitamin and maybe some lutein is about all you can do.

Get regular refractions and make any needed corrections early and OFTEN, get pressures checked every year, keep your damn blood pressure down, and if it is available, go for the retinal photography even if it costs you out-of-pocket. The retinal photographic record achieved can be extremely helpful in later diagnoses and treatments.

This is the word of me, but me is informed by an uncle with pushing 50 years as an OD, and my primary OD who has about 40 years and is an accomplished shooter in his own right.
its all snake oil. you cant defy genetics or mother nature.

Reactions: JMil72
I have a 65-year old carpenter working for me who doesn't need glasses, which shocks me. He's kind of a hippie and does yoga, has a nasty ass ponytail but he's never short of female company (18 wives or so)... Anyway he says he has been doing eye exercises since his 40s, squinting and squeezing like he's Arnold on a Nautilus.

My official eye doctor claims it's BS but I can't argue, the guy is measuring to 1/16th" and reading without glasses.

I suppose it's genetics but that's racist, we're all equal.

Reactions: shipereyes445
Kale
Spinach
Carrot
Broccoli
Eggs
Garlics
These are what I added to my diet to improve my eyesight. I been wearing glasses for years but when I have dieting a try and from my personal experience, this works really well.

A very interesting topic, the first time I come across this, I need to think about it. I know of course what dietary supplements can help to improve vision, I know that carrots contain a vitamin that improves vision. Maybe if you find food additives that contain carrots, it can help. I have in my memory there are many such steroid SARM for example like these on this site ceasar-boston.org. In addition to helping you with your vision, they will also help you build muscle. I used this for a month and I saw the result in a week, but I need to consult a doctor so that there are no side effects.

Visivite with Lutein daily here, RP runs in my family. My youngest son has it and takes beta kerotene and Visivite areds2 eye vitamins.

Also Juice plus vitamins, I take the red, green, orange and purple ones every day.

Had my eyes checked the other day. My contact prescription for the last 10 years has been -2.50. I’m 41. I’ve had not real positive gains health wise but my eyes have gotten measurably better -1.75. We ran the test twice 20’min apart. No real reason for it but it’s significant.

Staying tuned for all the education I'm receiving.

My optometrist recently told me to eat green vegetables daily and fish vs red meat. I asked about fish oil vs actual fish, and he replied that fish oil is a waste of money.
He also said to cut down on phone/tv/computer use as much as possible.
Cut out the white sugar.

It's truly poison, not just to your vision but your whole system. Cancer just loves white sugar.

I use honey or maple syrup instead, but its tough cause they put sugar in damn near all processed foods.

Read the ingredients on a box of kids cereal. Get them hooked early and keep them hooked for life.

As eyesight declines with age, will you have more trouble shooting a scoped precision rifle, or does it not matter because you adjust the scope to your eyesight?

All chronic disease is a side effect of metabolic dysfunction. Removing seed oils, refined carbs, & refined sugar from your diet will start the process of being insulin sensitive again, which will start the healing process. Oh, and you’ll most likely start losing weight as well

Reactions: oneshot86
I also heard eating lots of food high in vitamin A such as liver and so forth is good for you. But that's a flagrant foul for those of us who live in close quarters. Better to eat liver sausage, I guess. Orange colored foods, also.
Do be careful of taking supplemental vitamin A; it probably has the most significant consequences when too much is taken. A, D, E & K are stored in fat unlike othr vitamins that are water soluble. In high enough doses, Vitamn A can cause liver damage and even birth defects.

You are wrong.

I'll keep listening to my optometrists and physicians.

-Nate

My training is allopathic medicine; my own trials with rare life-threatening iatrogenic auto-immmune problems led to my search into holistic and naturopathic options. IMHO the best treatment combines both.

Hey guys, first off I want to say thanks for the great info on improving eyesight! I recently got glasses, and they can be a real drag sometimes. I'm excited to learn of alternative solutions to improve my vision. The mixed veggie diet sounds pretty awesome. I'm guessing that really helps with vision but also with overall nutrition. Is there any particular type of veggies you'd recommend? I've heard of Eyebright and was interested in trying it. Has anyone here tried it? I'm trying to get a good idea of what to expect before I go ahead and invest in it. I'm also a fan of vitamin A packed food like liver, but it always results in funny looks from family and friends. Turkey sausage would be a great alternative that still gets some vitamin A in. And lastly, does anyone here have info on protein powder bulk? I've recently started taking it, so I'd like to know what experience you have with it. Thanks again, everyone! Happy to be part of this forum.

Hey guys, first off I want to say thanks for the great info on improving eyesight! I recently got glasses, and they can be a real drag sometimes. I'm excited to learn of alternative solutions to improve my vision. The mixed veggie diet sounds pretty awesome. I'm guessing that really helps with vision but also with overall nutrition. Is there any particular type of veggies you'd recommend? I've heard of Eyebright and was interested in trying it. Has anyone here tried it? I'm trying to get a good idea of what to expect before I go ahead and invest in it. I'm also a fan of vitamin A packed food like liver, but it always results in funny looks from family and friends. Turkey sausage would be a great alternative that still gets some vitamin A in. And lastly, does anyone here have info on protein powder bulk? I've recently started taking it, so I'd like to know what experience you have with it. Thanks again, everyone! Happy to be part of this forum.
The ribeye veggies are the best

When I’m driving around for work I listen to this guy’s podcasts, he has one on vision (including health and improving it) that might be worth a listen. I’m sure some of you are familiar with him as he’s been on a lot of other podcasts. He tends to get into the scientific weeds but there’s usually a lot of valuable info.

As eyesight declines with age, will you have more trouble shooting a scoped precision rifle, or does it not matter because you adjust the scope to your eyesight?
Deserves a thread of its own if not answered here. I’m about at that age too…

That's my issue. Scope view is fine. Seeing hash marks on the turrets is not happening! :LOL: Been talking to my eye doc about Ortho-K which is contacts you wear at night and they reshape the cornea. Kinda like braces for your eyes. It's not a one an done so it's an every night deal but it if it can improve things I'm game! Not a fan of having my eyes cut on.

I have a 65-year old carpenter working for me who doesn't need glasses, which shocks me. He's kind of a hippie and does yoga, has a nasty ass ponytail but he's never short of female company (18 wives or so)... Anyway he says he has been doing eye exercises since his 40s, squinting and squeezing like he's Arnold on a Nautilus.

My official eye doctor claims it's BS but I can't argue, the guy is measuring to 1/16th" and reading without glasses.

I suppose it's genetics but that's racist, we're all equal.
Being 'nearsighted' could easily explain this. Or, just being in the bright sun will cause pupil constriction, which can enable near focus. Only was to stop presbyopia is stop/reverse the ageing process. Sorry.