• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Improving the Savage FV

planalpha

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2010
PNW
Hey experts, I have a Savage FV that does pretty well at the 50 but I want to start shooting it at the 200/300 yard range. I know there's room for improvement so I wanted to know what you guys do to improve your Savages.
The obvious choice is to trash the POS stock. I just ordered the Tacticool and plan on bedding it. I also ordered an EGW 20 MOA base so I'll have enough elevation.
Other than that, what would you guys do to get the most out of a FV?

Thanks!

Re: Improving the Savage FV

riflebasix trigger., bed the new stock, and some are recrowning the barrel.

And, find the ammo it likes best.

2guard-
Thanks for the info and how did I miss your FVT build up? That thing is nice!

Stupid question though, why are people recrowning them? Damage? Factory doing a poor job? A better type of crown?

Thanks again!!

I just recently did some accurizing to my FV as well and shot the best groups I've ever had.

1. I noticed there was some tooling chatter on my crown, it wasn't cut as cleanly as it could have been, so I went back over it and smoothed it out a bit by hand.

2. I also took a look at my action screws, which I had never thought to do, and found that the rear screw was so loose I could turn it with my fingers. I torqued both action screws down to 16 inch/pounds.

3. I disassembled the trigger and worked on getting a smother/cleaner break as well as a slightly lighter pull. It breaks at 2#, and while I think I could get a little more out of it, I think I'll leave it as is.

4. I made sure that the barrel was free floating. Surprisingly it was already floated from the factory, so I didn't have to do anything here.

And that's been it so far. After doing all of that I shot a group at 50yd that was .153" center to center, with the rest of my groups all under .5" respectably. For now I'm going to focus on ammo selection and sorting to see if I can get it to shrink a little bit more.

Merlin-
WOW! Nice shooting!

Sorry to be dense here, but how did you smooth out your crown and trigger by hand?

My barrel did touch a little but I fixed that with a socket and sandpaper when I got it. Moot point now that I'm waiting for the new stock now.

Thanks for the info!

For the crown I just touched it up a bit with a dremel and some jewelers compound. For the trigger I disassembled it, stoned and polished the connecting parts, then clipped the trigger spring by about half a coil and reassembled.