• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Improvise Adapt Overcome Fuck'em up.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    U.S.US Marines sailed through the Strait of Hormuz with an armored vehicle on the flattop's flight deck, ready to fight off Iranian gunboats
    Business Insider Ryan Pickrell,Business Insider 6 hours ago

An AH-1Z Viper attached to Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron (VMM) 163 (Reinforced), 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) takes off during a strait transit aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Boxer (LHD 4)
    U.S. Marine Corps photo by Lance Cpl. Dalton S. Swanbeck
    • Photos from a recent Strait of Hormuz transit by the US Navy amphibious assault ship USS Boxer showed an 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit light armored vehicle parked on the flight deck, a sign that this warship was expecting trouble in the hostile waterway.
    • The Boxer was harassed by Iranian drones in the Strait of Hormuz last month, and the US says the warship downed one, if not two, of them. Another potential threat in this region is Iranian gunboats, which have targeted commercial shipping in recent months.
    • Last fall, Marines with the 31st MEU embarked aboard the USS Wasp for an exercise with an LAV on the flight deck for the first time in the South China Sea, experimenting with options to boost the combat capability of the large amphibious ships against threats such as fast gunboats.
    • Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
    US Marines aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Boxer recently sailed through the Strait of Hormuz with an armored vehicle strapped to the flight deck, ready to fight off drones and Iranian gunboats.
    A light armored vehicle belonging to the 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit can be seen on the flight deck as an AH-1Z Viper lifts off in a recently released Marine Corps photo, NPR's Phil Ewing first noted.
    An AH-1Z Viper attached to Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron (VMM) 163 (Reinforced), 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) takes off during a strait transit aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Boxer (LHD 4)
    U.S. Marine Corps photo by Lance Cpl. Dalton S. Swanbeck
    The Marine Corps LAV-25 has a high-end targeting system that directs its 25 mm chain guns and M240 7.62 mm machine gun. The Boxer is armed with counter-air missiles, as well as various close-in weapon systems, among other weapons. The Vipers carry two air-to-air missiles, rocket pods, a handful of air-to-surface missiles, and a 20 mm Gatling cannon.
    The Marine Corps began experimenting last year with strapping LAVs to the decks of the amphibs — flattops capable of carrying helicopters and vertical take-off and landing jets, as well as transporting Marines — to make the ships more lethal.
    In September, the 31st MEU embarked aboard the USS Wasp, another amphibious assault ship, for an exercise in the South China Sea with a LAV parked on the flight deck, training to fend off the types of threats Marines might face in hostile waterways.
    Read more: The Marine Corps is strapping armored vehicles to the top of Navy ships to fend off small boats and other threats
    Marines with Weapons Company, Battalion Landing Team, 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines, sit on a Light Armored Vehicle atop the flight deck aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Wasp (LHD 1) during a defense of the amphibious task force drill, underway in the South China Sea, Sept. 27, 2018.
    U.S. Marine Corps photo by Gunnery Sgt. E. V. Hagewood
    "This was the first time," Capt. George McArthur, a 31st MEU spokesman, told Military Times, "that an LAV-25 platoon with the 31st MEU performed this level of integrated targeting and live-fire from the flight deck of a ship such as the Wasp with combined arms."
    He added: "Weapons Company assets improved the integrated defensive posture aboard the Wasp."
    The Boxer was harassed by Iranian unmanned aerial assets in the Strait of Hormuz last month, and the US says the warship downed one, if not two, of the drones with a new electronic jamming system. Another potential threat in this region is Iranian gunboats, which have targeted commercial shipping in recent months.
    Commenting on why the Marines experimented with using armored vehicles on the flight decks of the amphibs, Marine Maj. Gen. David Coffman, the director of expeditionary warfare for the chief of naval operations, said in November that he "watched a MEU commander strap an LAV to the front of a flight deck because it had better sensors than the ship did to find small boats."
    That the Boxer was sailing through the Strait of Hormuz with an LAV out on the flight deck suggests that the ship was ready for a confrontation.

Heckalopters are expensive to operate, and can run out of fuel.

The LAV just needs to hang in there, running on idle, if at all. No climb to altitude, it's already there; and they're not drawing fire from MANPADs, either. If more are needed, they just unchain them below, run 'em up the ramp, and sit 'em up on the flight deck where they can do the most good. Crew are enlisted, a good use of assets, a good way to hold more expensive, and crucial assets in reserve.

I think the idea is F'n brilliant.

I got a really good look at a lot of the USS Iwo Jima LHD-7 the day she was commissioned. Eye opening, and I was just seeing what they're willing to show us civvies.

The idea about the AH-1Z being the baddest ass on the deck is great; but why go after a mosquito with a sledgehammer?

Can you just F'n imagine a bunch of LAV's with several Iranian Gunboats painted on the turret? Just WoW!

Greg

PS, after reading Redmanss's post, I hadn't considered the intervening gear that needed to be restaged, but; The asset is worth using, and some forward thinking could probably have dealt with the belowdecks equipment stowage in advance. My red LHD-7 baseball cap says "Plankowner". Probably inaccurate, still a hoot, and I rarely wear it anyway; too much of a historical artifact.

Last edited:
    Third world gunboats serve the same only purpose as third world tyrants... Terrorizing unarmed civilians. They would be nothing but target practice for first world, high tech professional military forces... Iran is next level stupid if they think they can take on a Marine expeditionary force even with their very "best"...

Reactions: Slash0311
    They have AH-Zs vipers on board one of the most badass killing machines ever designed....wtf do you need a pos lav chained to deck to take out a fast moving pontoon boat lol?
    As well as the ship's own 25mm Mk 38 (navy modified M242) gunnery positions...

Running "The Ditch" (Suez Canal) back in '01/'02, we assisted on the flight deck of the Bataan with our heavy guns and TOWs on tripods, along with LAAD and their Stingers which at the time worked better on interdicting low and slow moving aircraft than the ship's organic defenses. This is nothing new, just a typical military press release that some zero just got a NMCCM and a bullet on their FITREP for making their troops do something else asinine.

The real bitch is how many vehicles they had to move to get the LAV up from the well deck, being as they're all pre-boats staged on the LCACs with an entire upper-v of shit spaced 18" apart in the way, then having to hang the 180° turn up the ramp to the hangar bay. I would be beyond fucking pissed.

Reactions: jasewhitehead08
    Shouldn't they at least park it backwards so you might be able to depress the muzzle more or get a better view without having the long end of the LAV blocking your view.........?

Feel good BS.

Heading down Cape Cod this week.

Thought about renting a Whaler to run the family around Pleasat Bay in Chatham.

Even more ambitious to do this now knowing how formidable Whalers are that the Navy mounts aluminum trucks on a flight deck of a prime assault vessel for protection from them.

I'll be badass, the sharks won't even fuck with me, I'm definitely going to be wearing my USMC PMI helmet while playing PT109 skipper.

Oh, well; looks like I'm just another ignorant old Jarhead....

Sigh...

Greg

Not at all.

Just if Iran wants to make a deke at that ship with their mosquito boats and the DOD wants to send a clear message we dont open up with a single chain gun.

Sheets of fire from hell should be unleashed and if any small boat makes it through the wall of solid lead and flame than call in something from whatever carrier happens to be nearby to glass the yacht club the boats departed from.

It should be an on sea version of what Mattis did to Russia's mercenaries in Syria.

The message will be so strong Iran won't dare put a row boat in fresh water.

I think its pretty clear that Iran's goal is to pick on anyone BUT the USA.

I do agree that we should unleash some hell for them to get a taste of what will happen if the continue play games. We Marines earned the title "Devil Dog" for a reason. Time to familiarize Iran with why...

I think its pretty clear that Iran's goal is to pick on anyone BUT the USA.

I do agree that we should unleash some hell for them to get a taste of what will happen if the continue play games. We Marines earned the title "Devil Dog" for a reason. Time to familiarize Iran with why...

I like the video of the Russian ship that was approached by Somali pirates.

Guys we're running up from the engine deck to get some gun time on the already over killed SS Omar.

Get whatever battalion is on board to line the rails with their issue weapon and they can join in with whatever wing and on board weaponry can be brought to bear.

The guys on the Lee side of the fray shouldn't have to miss out.

Have the ship do a 360 around the Incoming boats so the off side gets some trigger time.

Reactions: Slash0311
    Heading down Cape Cod this week.

Thought about renting a Whaler to run the family around Pleasat Bay in Chatham.

Even more ambitious to do this now knowing how formidable Whalers are that the Navy mounts aluminum trucks on a flight deck of a prime assault vessel for protection from them.

I'll be badass, the sharks won't even fuck with me, I'm definitely going to be wearing my USMC PMI helmet while playing PT109 skipper.

Mclaine's Navy

Screenshot_20190815-184157_Chrome.jpg

Loved that show..............thought PT boats had the greatest hull silhouette and were bad ass. Down in Fall River they have a couple PTs on display in a Quonset Hut next to the USS Massachusetts, shame they dont have them on water so peeps could hear the Packards run.

These days these hulls make my heart beat....

Money to run one is insane though.

Loved that show..............thought PT boats had the greatest hull silhouette and were bad ass. Down in Fall River they have a couple PTs on display in a Quonset Hut next to the USS Massachusetts, shame they dont have them on water so peeps could hear the Packards run.

These days these hulls make my heart beat....

Money to run one is insane though.

So, this would be more appropriate?

Or maybe this?

Love the look of the old PT boats.

For us regular folks, I like the old classic Mako hulls.

Screenshot_20190816-064755_Chrome.jpg

The Elco and Higgins designs were cool the Huckins not so much.

So, this would be more appropriate?

Or maybe this?

Love the look of the old PT boats.

For us regular folks, I like the old classic Mako hulls.

View attachment 7130977

Outside the barrier you need power and truth be told Id rather be the master of the seas rather than at the mercy of the wind.

Those Areys Pond Cats though just have a beautiful hull, Wide beam, minimal draft super clean look to them.....

My main thing to do while sitting on the beach is to bino the sea. I could do it for hours and I see some beautiful boats out there

The problem with beach sitting and trying to look seaward is, no matter where you place yourself, some dumbass will plant themselves directly in front of you.

It happens every time.
    I can set up with no-one near me. 5 minutes later, some cottage cheese looking bitch will camp out on the water's edge right in my line of sight.

Miles and miles of nearly empty beach and they always pick that spot

and whats up w the jet skis?
    millions of acres of water to have fun on but you choose where i have already set up to fish...
    one of my friends puts 1/2 oz weights on the pole and trys to hit the jetski

Back when I was in my later teens, the Verrazano Narrows bridge was being built. There was a daily party boat (fishing parties) departing from Newark NJ on the Passaic River.

The boat was a retired PT boat hull.

Once she got out on the bay and through the Narrows, she opened up and flew; getting up on the plane and running on down to the Atlantic Highlands in a matter of minutes.

Awesome!

Best days of my life, out on the ocean. Day fishing, Flounder and Fluke; night fishing, Blues.

Greg

We went off Sandy Hook for flounder. No PT boat but we could see the old coast watch stations.

Reactions: ArmyJerry
    As Scouts, we took a few w/e camping trips down to Sandy Hook.

The bunkers were coastal gun emplacements, and although they were fenced with hurricane fence, the fence was old and breached, and we got to explore inside.

It was fun, and I miss it.

Greg

Earl Naval Base, sit tons of nuke warheads passed that long ass dock, best fishing right there unti they send a patrol after you,,, just marines so no biggie

As Scouts, we took a few w/e camping trips down to Sandy Hook.

The bunkers were coastal gun emplacements, and although they were fenced with hurricane fence, the fence was old and breached, and we got to explore inside.

It was fun, and I miss it.

Greg
    Took the family for a day at the beach there last Sunday . The approach to NY Harbor between NY and Sandy Hook is an immense , awesome view . The have an elevated deck that allows one to look out on the area . The clouds were at an incredibly high ceiling punctuating the magnifiicent view .

The problem with beach sitting and trying to look seaward is, no matter where you place yourself, some dumbass will plant themselves directly in front of you.

It happens every time.
    I can set up with no-one near me. 5 minutes later, some cottage cheese looking bitch will camp out on the water's edge right in my line of sight.

Miles and miles of nearly empty beach and they always pick that spot

The trick is to setup 5x more stuff than you actually need as a buffer. On the outer shell post up a shovel with some baby wipes layed out. If someone still looks like they are going to encroach: face them, waive, drop your pants and piss in their direction.

• Haha
    Reactions: wh20crazy
    The trick is to setup 5x more stuff than you actually need as a buffer. On the outer shell post up a shovel with some baby wipes layed out. If someone still looks like they are going to encroach: face them, waive, drop your pants and piss in their direction.

I hate going to the beach. We usually take the dog and use the boat to go to a small island and goof off there.
    We can have a drink without issue and the dog gets to swim and crap in the water.

20190408_111330.jpg

Been chased off Earl Naval Weapons Depot... The current/wind would blow you in and north toward the pier, and you had to bail before the Marine police would get out to you.

One trip with the my Senior Scouts, a boat blew up close to shore; and we took off to investigate. Soon enough we overtook the Marine Police, and they waved us by (27ft Sea Ray with a pair of 200+hp outboards, my Eldest Brother's Boat). Arriving on scene, we circled in, looking for survivors, none found.

Largest piece of debris was a small hatch cover, burning orange and black smoky. This was about 200yd offshore the beach. The consensus was that everyone onboard swam in.

The Police released us from the scene, and we went home..., lots of flounder, though.

Greg

Last edited: