• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IMR 4064/IMR 4895 for 6.5 Creedmoor Inexperienced Reloader

Stucklatch

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2021
Irving, TX
By way of background, I used to do a bit of reloading but it's been a while. I would say I know enough to follow instructions. But I don't know enough to get anywhere close to max loads or do any kind of experimentation. I recently bought a Bergara HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 22" barrel. My timing's about as bad as possible for it but I'd still like to get started reloading for this rifle. I bought some Starline brass and 140 grain Barnes Match Burners just because Midway had them in stock. Powder and primers are obviously a problem, though.

Based on what I can learn from google searches I would ideally be buying H4350 for 6.5 Creedmoor and if not that then Reloader 16 or IMR 4350. But if I'm waiting for those I may have to wait a long time. I really don't mind waiting but I'd prefer not to.

I may have an opportunity to get some IMR 4064 or IMR 4895. I found load data for these powders for 6.5 Creedmoor but it also seems like not many folks use these powders for it.

So here's my question: Based on the fact that I'm pretty inexperienced if not technically a complete beginner, would I be better off waiting for a more appropriate powder or am I good to go getting started with one of these? And if I'm good to go which one should I go for?

Cheers,

IMR 4064 has a slightly faster burn rate than 4350. I found it works well with lighter bullets, not so well with heavier bullets. It certainly will work and if that's all you can find, you can come up with a suitable load.

With how hard it is to get primers and how easy it is to get powder (relatively) I would recommend you look at powder valley often and wait for 4350 or RL16. You will find it.

Reactions: Stucklatch
IMR 4064 has a slightly faster burn rate than 4350. I found it works well with lighter bullets, not so well with heavier bullets. It certainly will work and if that's all you can find, you can come up with a suitable load.
Thanks for that advice. I think I'm going to follow MK20's advice and hold off. The guy's asking $90 for the 1 lb. of the stuff. If it were exactly what I wanted I think it would be worth it to me. But since it's not and I don't have primers anyway I think I'll hold off.

With how hard it is to get primers and how easy it is to get powder (relatively) I would recommend you look at powder valley often and wait for 4350 or RL16. You will find it.
That seems like sound advice. I think that's what I'll do. Appreciate it!

Holy shit. Definitely don’t pay 90 for a pound whatever you do. F that guy. Remember who it is and never do business with them again. I just got 8 lbs of RL 16 a month ago from powder valley for about 220 bucks.

Ha! I'm really glad I asked then. I must not have enough perspective yet to know when it's worth dropping the money and when I should wait. If it had been H4350 I probably would have just bought it. Thanks for helping out.

Yeah. People are trying to gouge for powder and stuff. The hard part for you is going to be primers. Look out for estate sales. That is probably going to be the best bet right now. You can’t even find musket caps for sale nationwide right now.

Holy shit. Definitely don’t pay 90 for a pound whatever you do. F that guy. Remember who it is and never do business with them again. I just got 8 lbs of RL 16 a month ago from powder valley for about 220 bucks.
Powder valley and midsouthshooters have both been good for me.

due to the powder shortage, i've just been using what i have on hand. I've used Varget for my 6.5x47L loads with good results in the past and i've settled with this current load for 6.5CM.

-S&B Brass
-39.5gr Varget
-JLK 130gr
-loaded .02 off of the lands which is pretty close to AI mag length for my rifle.

shooting out of my AIAT with Gradous 26" barrel, i'm pushing the 130jlk 2905 fps +- 5fps.

I'm not sure about the heavier rounds as i'm only shooting 130's at the moment but that should give you a decent baseline to start with

due to the powder shortage, i've just been using what i have on hand. I've used Varget for my 6.5x47L loads with good results in the past and i've settled with this current load for 6.5CM.

-S&B Brass
-39.5gr Varget
-JLK 130gr
-loaded .02 off of the lands which is pretty close to AI mag length for my rifle.

shooting out of my AIAT with Gradous 26" barrel, i'm pushing the 130jlk 2905 fps +- 5fps.

I'm not sure about the heavier rounds as i'm only shooting 130's at the moment but that should give you a decent baseline to start with
How do you like the S&B brass?

Its not bad. I bought a case of 500 pre pandemic and have just been reloading as i shoot up the factory ammo with good results

I am getting AMAZING accuracy using 35.0 gr IMR 4064 pushing a Berger 140gr VLD Target. It is a bit slow but is very accurate. I shoot a 24" Tikka CTR
20200314_121401.jpg

See if you can find some Winchester 6.5 Staball powder. It meters like water from a powder measure and produces excellent accuracy.