• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

imr 4064 in 308

fmsniper

1st Sergeant
Minuteman
So I ran out of varget and have 4064 which I use for 6.5x55, I am shooting 168 Amax coal is 2.800

so here is my question
in the 308 case I am using 43.5 grains of IMR 4064 and the powder comes almost to the top of the case, when I tap the cartridge it drops some but not much, I seat the bullet and the powder is compressed, is this ok? it seems to be a lot of powder in the case; or is it because its a slower burning powder, that this is not over pressure. I see max load is 45 grains, can't see it fitting in the cartridge.

Re: imr 4064 in 308

Compressed charges are fine. My Varget load goes 'crunch' when I seat the bullet. 4064 is good powder for .308: if your rifle doesn't shoot well with 4064 you have a gun problem. But all load data is speculative: watch for pressure signs in YOUR rifle.

If you got it before November 30th make sure to check the TC website and print out your $150 rebate coupon.

Better check your scales, one of my pet loads for 4064 is 43.6 and it just fills the brass to the shoulder/neck junction.

DSCI0002-9.jpg

DSCI0001-6.jpg

Terry

i just loaded 60 175 SMKs over 4064 to compare to varget. 41.5 to 43 grs in a 20" gas gun. does anyone load less than 41.5 grs pushing 175s?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REELDOC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Better check your scales, one of my pet loads for 4064 is 43.6 and it just fills the brass to the shoulder/neck junction. </div></div>

1+. I load my gas gun with 43.8 grains and has not yet crunch the powder. For my AIAW load I even use 44.2 grains and still no crunch. Definitely you want to check your scale.

Here is a pic of a Remington case filled with 43.5 gr of 4064, it's almost mid point in the shoulder. I know some surplus and LC brass have thicker walls which could cause you to lose capacity, but i find it hard to believe that much. I would deffinatly do a scale comparison with a buddy if you can.
DSCN0480.jpg

The short answer to your question is YES,its ok.My favorite load is 46.0gr with a 150 gr bullet for deer.This is too hot for some rifles,but is safe in mine.Comes up on the neck about 3/4 of the way on my LC-match cases.You can get more in the case with a longer drop tube on your funnel,or by trickling it in more slowly.IMR-4064 has always been one of the favorites for a 308,its still a good choice. Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REELDOC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Better check your scales, one of my pet loads for 4064 is 43.6 and it just fills the brass to the shoulder/neck junction. </div></div>

I load the same and it is not compressed, might hear one crunch in LC brass but not winchester.

The fill level in your case looks about right.If the check weight is right,and the 168 bullet checked out ok,I'd run with it.It takes a little getting used to seeing a case that full,but its ok. Pete

Vintage 4064!!!

It hasn't been DuPont for years.

If the stabilizers are depleted, you may have only 5-15 more years left in that powder. All I know is that it can be analyzed, have no ability to do it myself. There's some arcane military article of something like 20 pages that discusses all sorts of stuff on propellants, like deflagration risks and testing protocols for large stocks. I think it came from the Navy side of life.

You might consider a 10" drop tube. It will allow you to load more volume without crushing the kernals.
RTH