• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IMR 4350: burn rate too slow for 308?

AZ.noob

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
I stumbled onto a real good deal on a few pounds of IMR 4350, so I grabbed them obviously;)
That propellant seems to be more popular for the larger capacity & magnum cases, but I do see 4350 listings for the heavies (190 and up) for 308 Winchester.

Considering I live in the flippin desert (high ambient temps), what's y'alls opinion on this propellant for this cartridge? FWIW I've developed some quite accurate loads using Varget pushing 155, 168, and 190 grain SMKs through a 1:10 Savage.

Or do I need to go out and buy a boomer?:p

This powder is a little slow but that doesn't mean it can't be used, the lack of data just means the velocity might be on the low side so IMR isn't going to publish it. Velocity sells. I'm using a much slower powder in the 308 for some lower velocity loads. Here is some data from reloaders nest.
http://www.reloadersnest.com/query_p...owder=IMR 4350

4350 works good in the 243 and 25-06

yeah, it looks like I'll save it for 30-06.
Sierra lists 47.8 grains as maximum charge pushing 190 SMKs (in 308 Winchester, that is)
I measured out 46.3 (max -3%) just to gauge case fill, and that short little 308 case was about completely filled with extruded granules.
I sort of figured that would happen... my 'pet' load pushing 190s is 40.8 grains Varget. Even with that much less powder displacing case volume, I still get just a little crunching on the seating stroke with those relatively long 190s.
Lapua brass, so I might try Winchester and/or Hornaday, as those are of course thinner walled and thus higher capacity than the fatty Lapua cases. I'm not sure it'll make much difference however, that 4350 is really bulky and according to the data I've found I'll need at least 45 grains to push 190s. I've not found any data for 4350 and 168s, so apparently it's too slow for those. At least for the stubby little 308 case, that is

I could use a good explaining too...

I see posts like this all the time but I am trying to get my head around the reason you would want to load .308's with 190 grain pills... IMHO I think .308's should not be loaded with anything more than 175's. When I calculate the ballistics a 175 consistently has better energy delivered to 1000 yards and a much lower drop.

Please explain why you would want to load a bullet in a 308 that delivers poorer performance across the board compared to a 175??? I must have missed that class.

Sometimes its all about the B.C.. Sometimes not. Also all .308s are not the same. Reloading is kind of like a math formula. There are many, many independent variables. With experience, those variables become meaningful. I know of very few cooks who follow the cook book like its LAW. Reloading for long range could be thought of as an advanced course in reloading - Graduate School. It requires experience and some considerable study. And by the way, the internet is NOT always a reliable source of useful data. This is not the place for shortcuts. Read everything you can. Then read it again. A 175 is a good bullet under many conditions. But not all conditions. Let the Rifle tell you what it wants. Don't argue with it. It cannot read. Your question regarding a 190 in a 308 is a good question though. Today, bullet design has progressed much. Lighter newer designed bullets match even the 175s B.C.. But often there is no free lunch. Bullet weight also matters. Select the right bullet for the job considering all of the variables. Learning all of those variables is the key. No brain - no gain.

Last edited:
Reloading manual's are but a starting point for the beginning re-loader. Understanding the difference between max pressure vs max pressure time, is the key. Re-loading books are but a starting point, lawyers have approved for publication.

No disrespect but what does that have to do with loading 190's in a 308? There is only so much powder you can get in a case with a 190 damn near sitting on the primer it is so long... Obviously I am being facetious with that statement but I am sure you see the point I am trying to make. You kill the case volume with a heavy bullet and with that you kill the energy potential you can pack in the case. Physics are physics, you can use fast powder, slow powder, but you still have physical laws that restrict how fast you can push that bullet and manage pressure- Preassure that can seriously test the limits of primers, weld cases to a chamber (again facetious), or pressure form brass into the extractor...

I am hoping someone can educate me as to the benefit to putting a 190 grain pill into a 308 when the performance from a 175 is far superior for the simple fact it has velocity on it side and it is only 15 grains lighter and delivers a lot more energy on target with a lot less drop over distance....

I am sire you can see my delema here and I sincerely hope someone can explain the benefit to loading a 190 in a 308. I see the benefit in a 30-06, you have 25% more case volume, but a 308?? It just does not make any sense.

So, the F/TR guys winning matches shooting 230s with a 308 don't have a clue what they are doing? It depends on the rifle and the application.

I know of some state sniper rifles that shoot 110s at 3400 fps in a 16 twist. Again, it's ideal for the application.

The 230s in the F/TR rifles have about 1/2 the wind as 175s and heavier bullets are better than lighter bullets, all things being equal, in switching winds anyway.

So, the F/TR guys winning matches shooting 230s with a 308 don't have a clue what they are doing? It depends on the rifle and the application.

What??????

Brad Sauve won a 2004 U.S. National F-Class Target Rifle Class championship using 175's and to my knowledge he never used anything over 180. Also, I don't know anyone shooting 230 grain bullets in F-TR matches, the heaviest I know of that are used are 185's and that is pushing it on the heavy weight side for F-TR loads. Ok there may be some odd ball that wants to shoot a 208 or 215 but that is sooo rare and not a good argument for all the reasons I cite.

What you would gain in wind drift you loose in drop so where is the benefit? Gage the wind wrong and you are screwed. Most chambers will not handle a 230 grain bullet in the first place. You wont have enough free bore to allow proper seating in a gun chambered for the 175 range.

I bet 90% of F-TR shooters are using 175's and 10% are using 185's on windy days. Those rifles will not be capable of shooting 230 grain weights accurately... not enough freebore and a rifle built to shoot a 230 will be worthless for anything under 200... Totally not practical. And that is my point, once you get over the 175 pill weight performance drops drastically and anything over 175 simply is not practical.

Last edited:
I was not referring to any book loads, hell some of the book loads recommend more powder than you can get in the case and still get adequate seating depth. Pretty useless load info so for the most part- I gave up book loading long ago.

190's and heavier weights simply are not a good choice for a .308. If you want to shoot these weights buy a gun that shoots a round with more case capacity so you can get the performance the bullet was designed for.

230's in a .308?

I've done 208's and gotten 2500 out of them with quite a cruuunchhhh while seating. I assume a 230gr in a .308 won't run much faster than 2400?

What??????

Brad Sauve won a 2004 U.S. National F-Class Target Rifle Class championship using 175's and to my knowledge he never used anything over 180. Also, I don't know anyone shooting 230 grain bullets in F-TR matches, the heaviest I know of that are used are 185's and that is pushing it on the heavy weight side for F-TR loads. Ok there may be some odd ball that wants to shoot a 208 or 215 but that is sooo rare and not a good argument for all the reasons I cite.

What you would gain in wind drift you loose in drop so where is the benefit? Gage the wind wrong and you are screwed. Most chambers will not handle a 230 grain bullet in the first place. You wont have enough free bore to allow proper seating in a gun chambered for the 175 range.

I bet 90% of F-TR shooters are using 175's and 10% are using 185's on windy days. Those rifles will not be capable of shooting 230 grain weights accurately... not enough freebore and a rifle built to shoot a 230 will be worthless for anything under 200... Totally not practical. And that is my point, once you get over the 175 pill weight performance drops drastically and anything over 175 simply is not practical.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most FTR shooters are NOT using 175s. Last i heard Brad Sauve is not using 175s anymore, he moved up. Especially in 1000 yard matches. Most are using 185s and heavier, apparantly you don't compete in FTR. Some still use 155s and run them like they are on fire but the majority are using 185 hybrids or juggernauts and 200 hybrids with several shooters using 215 hybrids and a few using 230 hybrids. The winner of the Nationals and World championships this year was using 200 hybrids if im not mistaken. And yes, your gun has to be specifically chambered to shoot these monsters. My FTR rig is a switch barrel, i have one barrel chambered for the 230s and the other is chambered for the 185s and 200s. Different twist rates and freebore. As for powder, most use Varget but for the ultra heavies (215s and 230s) most are using H4350 with a long drop tube and lighter brass (winchester etc) for case capacity. I still use Lapua brass for all my bullets including 230s but im not running them as hot as some are.

To the original poster, 4350 will work with 190s IF you seat them long and single feed your rounds. That also depends on how much freebore your chamber has. A long drop tube is needed and pour it slow. Thin wall brass is better for case capacity. If you are mag feeding forget about 4350. Stick with Varget or other similar powders.

Last edited:
apparantly you don't compete in FTR

Nope,never said I did. My eyes are bad. What I know about FTR is what FTR shooters have told me and what I read about in press coverages of matches. I still have not heard of the wide spread bullet weight increase you talk about but like I said, I convey what I have been told. If "Most" are not using 175's then I stand corrected.

the majority are using 185 hybrids or juggernauts and 200 hybrids with several shooters using 215 hybrids and a few using 230 hybrids.

What he is not telling you is the INSANE drop a 215 and 230 has and how that drop at 1000 yards is usually past the functional limits of a typical scope with only 45-60 MOA of adjustment

And yes, your gun has to be specifically chambered to shoot these monsters. My FTR rig is a switch barrel, i have one barrel chambered for the 230s and the other is chambered for the 185s and 200s. Different twist rates and freebore.

I believe I said that in my previous post. No argument here. I don't even consider these guns a 308 anymore because they are so far from SAMMI spec guns sold at Wall Mart that you cross the line into a different gun discussion totally. Lets talk about the OP's Savage.

To the original poster, 4350 will work with 190s IF you seat them long and single feed your rounds. That also depends on how much freebore your chamber has. A long drop tube is needed and pour it slow. Thin wall brass is better for case capacity. If you are mag feeding forget about 4350. Stick with Varget or other similar powders.

How practical is this for the average shooter shooting the average off the shelf gun? OP has a Savage. That is the question I really would like an FTR shooter to answer. 90% of shooters do not know what freebore is. What you are doing is giving advice to a person who may/may not understand everything about reloading or some future reader that has no clue and ends up making a round that could be a potential safety problem.

Most barrels are too short, what is the point of shooting a 190 out of a 20" bolt gun or a 16" AR 10? Velocity will suck anyway and it will drop like a rock.

My whole point is you should not be shooting 190's and above in a gun that was not designed for them as most off the shelf guns are not. If you do not have the mag length and/or the freebore length, your only option if you want to shoot these "monsters" is to seat them deep. Then you loose case capacity so the round you end up with will be rather useless. You are better off shooting a 175 because you will get better ballistic performance from that than a 190 in an off the shelf rifle.

My whole question was (for the OP's benefit) if someone could explain to me the practicality of shooting 190's out of a 308. It got turned into a FTR discussion where rifles that are not chambered the same as off the shelf .308's are for the sake of who can be most right and totally ignoring the fact that most people out there are shooting store bought guns and this is the advice we should be giving them. 190's and above are not practical because you loose case capacity seating them too deep and loose performance. You are better off shooting 175's in a store bought gun because that round will have better ballistic and terminal performance to 1000 yards.

OP, you will be able to use your 4350 to get that performance- 43 to 45 grains should get you around 2600 fps in your Savage. There are better powder choices, 4350 is a little slow but it will work just fine if you decide to give the 175's a try. (don't use Lake City Brass, too thick and you loose powder capacity and may not be able to get 43 or more grains in it with a 175 or larger.) You can use the powder for lighter bullets, it will go bang. Problem is, you will not get decent velocity out of the lighter pills.

Best thing about a 175 and 4350,the powder and bullet will fit in the case seated at 2.80 which is what your Savage was designed for.

230's in a .308?

I've done 208's and gotten 2500 out of them with quite a cruuunchhhh while seating. I assume a 230gr in a .308 won't run much faster than 2400?

Most FTR guys are running the 230s right around 2500 ftps. Some faster some slower. Run the numbers at 1000 yards on that bullet at that speed with a .743 BC. If you trim and point its higher. Its impressive.

Nope,never said I did. My eyes are bad. What I know about FTR is what FTR shooters have told me and what I read about in press coverages of matches. I still have not heard of the wide spread bullet weight increase you talk about but like I said, I convey what I have been told. If "Most" are not using 175's then I stand corrected.

What he is not telling you is the INSANE drop a 215 and 230 has and how that drop at 1000 yards is usually past the functional limits of a typical scope with only 45-60 MOA of adjustment

I believe I said that in my previous post. No argument here. I don't even consider these guns a 308 anymore because they are so far from SAMMI spec guns sold at Wall Mart that you cross the line into a different gun discussion totally. Lets talk about the OP's Savage.

How practical is this for the average shooter shooting the average off the shelf gun? OP has a Savage. That is the question I really would like an FTR shooter to answer. 90% of shooters do not know what freebore is. What you are doing is giving advice to a person who may/may not understand everything about reloading or some future reader that has no clue and ends up making a round that could be a potential safety problem.

Most barrels are too short, what is the point of shooting a 190 out of a 20" bolt gun or a 16" AR 10? Velocity will suck anyway and it will drop like a rock.

My whole point is you should not be shooting 190's and above in a gun that was not designed for them as most off the shelf guns are not. If you do not have the mag length and/or the freebore length, your only option if you want to shoot these "monsters" is to seat them deep. Then you loose case capacity so the round you end up with will be rather useless. You are better off shooting a 175 because you will get better ballistic performance from that than a 190 in an off the shelf rifle.

My whole question was (for the OP's benefit) if someone could explain to me the practicality of shooting 190's out of a 308. It got turned into a FTR discussion where rifles that are not chambered the same as off the shelf .308's are for the sake of who can be most right and totally ignoring the fact that most people out there are shooting store bought guns and this is the advice we should be giving them. 190's and above are not practical because you loose case capacity seating them too deep and loose performance. You are better off shooting 175's in a store bought gun because that round will have better ballistic and terminal performance to 1000 yards.

OP, you will be able to use your 4350 to get that performance- 43 to 45 grains should get you around 2600 fps in your Savage. There are better powder choices, 4350 is a little slow but it will work just fine if you decide to give the 175's a try. (don't use Lake City Brass, too thick and you loose powder capacity and may not be able to get 43 or more grains in it with a 175 or larger.) You can use the powder for lighter bullets, it will go bang. Problem is, you will not get decent velocity out of the lighter pills.

Best thing about a 175 and 4350,the powder and bullet will fit in the case seated at 2.80 which is what your Savage was designed for.

RHunter, i was simply responding to your post about how the 175 SMK was the best thing for 308s since sliced bread for FTR matches. Bigger bullets are dominating the sport (especially at 1000), i see it at the matches. CJ Britt holds the record at our club (600 yard range). He shot a 599/600 (can't remember the X count but it was high) but it wasn't shot with 175s. He was shooting 190 VLDs.

What i do agree with you about is that most shooters are running factory guns and have no interest in competing. They are better off shooting 175s mag loading than trying to run the heavier bullets. The 175s do shoot well, fit in the mag, and are much cheaper than the Bergers, Lapuas, or JLKs etc.

I've been running 175 OTMs in my 24" 11.25 twist 308 barrel. 175 SMKs work well too. I played with 155 Scenars for a while, but they were not as consistent as the 175. Now Berger has a 168 Hybrid with a higher BC than the 175 OTMs. I'm going to try it and see how well it shoots. It should be about .5 mil less at 1K. Will know more after tomorrow.

I've been running 175 OTMs in my 24" 11.25 twist 308 barrel. 175 SMKs work well too. I played with 155 Scenars for a while, but they were not as consistent as the 175. Now Berger has a 168 Hybrid with a higher BC than the 175 OTMs. I'm going to try it and see how well it shoots. It should be about .5 mil less at 1K. Will know more after tomorrow.

Its a good bullet, a buddy of mine shoots them in matches and does really well.

RHunter, i was simply responding to your post about how the 175 SMK was the best thing for 308s since sliced bread for FTR matches.

WOAH! Lets not over embellish what I said in my earlier post on the matter. My statement was based on information provided to me through various sources and it appears, according to you, to be somewhat dated. I am not a FTR shooter and I admit that. Obviously there was a time when the 175's and 185's ruled the day. Things have progressed. Great!

What 175's are you referring to that are cheaper? Berger 175 OTM's are virtually the same price as the 190 VLD's. I assume you are talking about Sierra's and Nosler's?

I think we do need to be careful when we talk about what can be done with a 308 because so much between the lines is left out. To make a generic statement that 190's are good to use in 308's for accuracy to 1000 yards is very misleading. You get an inexperienced shooter/reloader that does not know what needs to be read between the lines forming an opinion that a particular heavy bullet will be good for reloading ammo for his store bought 308 when that is definitely not the case.

Virtually any .308 rifle that will be used with 190's and above needs to be a custom built rig because you are exceeding the functional parameters of a standard 308. When 190's and above are used in a standard 308 chamber, in order to make them fit, you are going to be sacrificing performance and lighter bullets seated to a standard 2.80 depth will out-perform their heavier counterparts.

WOAH! Lets not over embellish what I said in my earlier post on the matter. My statement was based on information provided to me through various sources and it appears, according to you, to be somewhat dated. I am not a FTR shooter and I admit that. Obviously there was a time when the 175's and 185's ruled the day. Things have progressed. Great!

What 175's are you referring to that are cheaper? Berger 175 OTM's are virtually the same price as the 190 VLD's. I assume you are talking about Sierra's and Nosler's?

I think we do need to be careful when we talk about what can be done with a 308 because so much between the lines is left out. To make a generic statement that 190's are good to use in 308's for accuracy to 1000 yards is very misleading. You get an inexperienced shooter/reloader that does not know what needs to be read between the lines forming an opinion that a particular heavy bullet will be good for reloading ammo for his store bought 308 when that is definitely not the case.

Virtually any .308 rifle that will be used with 190's and above needs to be a custom built rig because you are exceeding the functional parameters of a standard 308. When 190's and above are used in a standard 308 chamber, in order to make them fit, you are going to be sacrificing performance and lighter bullets seated to a standard 2.80 depth will out-perform their heavier counterparts.

RHunter, the 175 MKs are still used by shooters in FTR but they are not the dominating bullet that they were a few years ago. The Berger 185 juggernaut is probably the most widely used bullet at the moment from what im seeing and for good reason, it a very accurate bullet that holds good vertical and the recoil isn't terrible, its also fairly easy to find a load for. The 200 hybrid is also a very popular bullet because of its very high BC and known for its accuracy. As for the 215s and 230s more and more guys are trying them to get a wind drift advantage but they are harder to shoot on the bipod because of the recoil factor. Your form has to be really good. I know you aren't in the FTR loop thats why im writing this, things changed quickly just in the last year from what ive seen. FTR is growing leaps and bounds. More and more folks are getting in and its a very competitive game and thats why the bigger bullets are being used/tried to try and get any advantage possible.

As for price, yes, i was talking about 175 MKs as the Bergers etc. definately aint cheap.

I totally understand your point about a 308 not being designed to shoot bullets that heavy/long and i agree. FTR is a specialized game we play that pushes the limits of the 308 that it was never designed for but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Ok, guys! there is big difference between "most shooters",.... and most winners! It is a fact that the trend is going to the higher b.c. longer and heavier bullets. When I started using the 185 juggernaut my moa dropped from 33 down to 29 @ 1k. So heavier does not necessarily mean more drop. It's all about the B.C.! and how far out you can seat the bullet. I can't remember when I've used a 175gr. bullet. If my throat would allow it I would be using the 200 hyb.

and how far out you can seat the bullet

That's right and that is a big performance wall between a match rifle designed specifically to use heavy bullets and an off the shelf .308. There is only so much BC you can design into a bullet and if we are not at the limit already we soon will be.