• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IMR 4350 for .338 LM...

Spectre1

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2013
New Mexico
Hello everyone.

Need some help with load data for IMR 4350 for the .338 LM.

Will be loading 300 gr Nosler AB and Berger 300 gr elite hunter.

I would really perfer to use Retumbo, but it is unobtainium currently.

I have IMR 4350 and WLRM primers on hand.

Any info would be appreceiated!

Hello everyone.

Need some help with load data for IMR-4350 for the .338 LM.

Will be loading 300 gr Nosler AB and Berger 300 gr elite hunter.

I would really perfer to use Retumbo, but it is unobtainium currently.

I have IMR 4350 and WLRM primers on hand.

Any info would be appreceiated!

I was going to post that IMR-4350 probably isn't the best choice for the 300s because it's perhaps a bit too fast.

I went and looked in my Sierra V manual and IMR-4350 is actually listed as their 'accuracy' load (78.2grs.)

300gr SMK and IMR-4350:

Start: 72.9grs @ 2500 fps

Max: 78.2grs @ 2650 fps

It is a bit fast and so velocity is a bit less than the slower powders, but there you go.

The AccuBond shouldn't be all that much different, but always start low and work up.

Chris

Last edited:
That's interesting - give it a try and see what you get. If Sierra published a load, then they've tried it.
RL19 is considered a fast powder for 338LM. RL17 is considered as approximately same burn rate as 4350, and I don't see any recipes for it (more correctly, haven't looked).
Have you seen relative burn rate comparison charts?

That's interesting - give it a try and see what you get. If Sierra published a load, then they've tried it.
RL19 is considered a fast powder for 338LM. RL17 is considered as approximately same burn rate as 4350, and I don't see any recipes for it (more correctly, haven't looked).
Have you seen relative burn rate comparison charts?

I have not seen any burn charts, but I have different loads listed in manuals for IMR 4350 for the .338 LM, but only up to 200 or 225 gr weight projos. I figured it could be safely used for the bigger bullets, too, just not sure that the accuracy or velocity will be where I want them to be. Chris' post indicating that the IMR 4350 loads were the most accurate tested is encouraging. I use this powder for all my rifle loads for stuff bigger than the .308, so I'm not shocked by those results. This is just a stop gap as my rifle should arrive this week and I currently dont have any ammo for it. I gotta at least put a couple fouling shots down the tube to function fire it, right? ;-)

I realize that these will not be ideal loads for this round, but until I can source some Retumbo,they will have to do...

Very happy with todays results. Sierra Game King 215 gr over 81.0 gr 4350 with WLRM primer. After the first five rounds to get a rough zero, I was able to put the next 5 into one hole. Not ideal for long range, nor did I bother to chrono the loads, but these would certainly put a hurtin on an elk...

Forgot to mention that I called Nosler today and they didn't have any data for IMR 4350 with the 300 gr AB's. Still looking for Retumbo, and any other data I can get for the 4350 I have...