• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Imr 4350 pressure fluctuation

Tikkaguy

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2020
Anyone have any pressure issues with Imr4350 in 260 rem ? Kinda scratching my head. I have a trg 22 with a new bartlien barrel. Got about 150 rounds through it. During ladder tests I would find a good mild node to load up around 41.9 gr, lapua brass federal primers . 139 lapua bullets .
Maybe 35 degrees out. Cleaned barrel before the test and put maybe 25-30 rounds at that point. Go to range a few weeks later maybe 40 degrees out. Shoot some groups same load. Didn’t clean barrel. By group 2 I would have a sticky bolt and extractor marks. Not the first time this has happened either, same with 140 elds. My previous barrel would do this too. Kinda weird. Never had any pressure signs during my load testing up near 42.8 grs. Might be time to just move to h4350. Just curious is anyone else has seen this with this powder. Speeds were kinda slowish around 2600 and some change

not sure if 5 degrees is the difference, but IMR 4350 is known to be more temperature sensitive than not

not sure if 5 degrees is the difference, but IMR 4350 is known to be more temperature sensitive than not
Yeah I would hope 5 degrees wouldn’t throw it off that far haha. My load development was shot with a clean clean barrel and without a suppressor then I shot mine with a suppressor the second trip so maybe just fouling causing pressure I’m not sure. Seems weird to me. Kinda the only gun that’s I’ve had be so pressure sensitive. Not going to do a full clean my barrel every 50 rounds to stay in pressure check haha maybe I will have to ladder test with a dirty barrel i dont know

I developed some of the worst carbon fouling I've ever seen in 150 rounds with a new barrel. The barrel had been cleaned at 50 rounds and at 200 I had flat primers and heavy bolt lift. Bore scope the barrel, you may need to use some abrasives.

I developed some of the worst carbon fouling I've ever seen in 150 rounds with a new barrel. The barrel had been cleaned at 50 rounds and at 200 I had flat primers and heavy bolt lift. Bore scope the barrel, you may need to use some abrasives.
Maybe, I might have to spend a little on a bore scope take a look at it a little closer. Being bartlien I didn’t figure it would be that rough.

Try it again without the suppressor.

JFR

Then I'd say dirty bore/chamber or something changed inadvertantly in your reloading.

Reactions: Tikkaguy
Sierra manual doesn't list a 139 gr bullet for the 260. However, they do show a 140 gr bullet and the maximum load shown is 40.8 gr of IMR 4350. Now this data was with Remington brass so maybe your combination of components is actually over pressure.

Reactions: secondofangle2
Sierra manual doesn't list a 139 gr bullet for the 260. However, they do show a 140 gr bullet and the maximum load shown is 40.8 gr of IMR 4350. Now this data was with Remington brass so maybe your combination of components is actually over pressure.
I don’t tend to use hornaday or sierra data as they are usually terrible low in Their data for legality reasons . Hodgdon list their max load for 140s at 43 grs. I may well end up re testing lower powder loads with a dirty barrel and try and see a node down low or change to h4350

Maybe, I might have to spend a little on a bore scope take a look at it a little closer. Being bartlien I didn’t figure it would be that rough.

Mine is a Bartlien as well. The barrel looks exactly like you'd expect inside, it just carbon fouled more than I've seen. I'm using H4350 but IMR4350 behaves similarly.

Sierra Ed 6 lists 41.6 as max in Winchester brass so the 41.9 is slightly over that max. Two things come to mind. First is did you shoot any other rounds with different powder in the rifle without cleaning? I have seen some ball/spherical powders not play well with single based extruded powders and foul quickly. The second thing is it possible you are seating near the lands and possible getting jammed on some rounds?

Sierra Ed 6 lists 41.6 as max in Winchester brass so the 41.9 is slightly over that max. Two things come to mind. First is did you shoot any other rounds with different powder in the rifle without cleaning? I have seen some ball/spherical powders not play well with single based extruded powders and foul quickly. The second thing is it possible you are seating near the lands and possible getting jammed on some rounds?
I did ladder test some barnes lrx the frist session before the lapuas with the same powder. Im about .020 tho off the lands there about. So not out of the question I guess

I don’t tend to use hornaday or sierra data as they are usually terrible low in Their data for legality reasons . Hodgdon list their max load for 140s at 43 grs. I may well end up re testing lower powder loads with a dirty barrel and try and see a node down low or change to h4350
You don't believe them because you think they are low ? Yet you are having over pressure issues and don't know why ? That and the fact you don't want to clean your barrel tells the tale . Good luck with that .

You don't believe them because you think they are low ? Yet you are having over pressure issues and don't know why ? That and the fact you don't want to clean your barrel tells the tale . Good luck with that .
It’s very common knowledge that their book data is heavy conservative. I use hodgdon as they make the powder and have a wider range of load data. I’m not going to do a full Benchrest copper solvent flush every 25 rounds down the pipe lol. I’m not a moron I’ve been reloading over 10 years. First I’ve come across this issues. My load is not hot and my load is not compressed. Ordered a bore scope today and I’m waiting on that and double checking my bullet jump after that shows up. If I had to guess I have little roughness in the end of the throat yet and I’m getting a lot of copper yet…

It’s very common knowledge that their book data is heavy conservative. I use hodgdon as they make the powder and have a wider range of load data. I’m not going to do a full Benchrest copper solvent flush every 25 rounds down the pipe lol. I’m not a moron I’ve been reloading over 10 years. First I’ve come across this issues. My load is not hot and my load is not compressed. Ordered a bore scope today and I’m waiting on that and double checking my bullet jump after that shows up. If I had to guess I have little roughness in the end of the throat yet and I’m getting a lot of copper yet…
Actually, Hodgdon is about the only published data that actually publishes pressure AND charge data. As such what they publish is most probably actual test data. You will also note that the published loads may or may not be at SAAMI maximum, but will not exceed it. While it may appear that the data is conservative, that is actually the usual case since the data is obtained in SAAMI specified test equipment that uses a mimimum chamber dimension. This minimum chamber is usually smaller than actual commercial (off the shelf) rifle chambers. This is by design to insure that the pressure will not be exceeded in any commercial firearm.

Hornady fully describes their method of presenting data in their manual and often takes much heat over their "conservative" data. In this case they test most loads to SAAMI and determine the maximum load for given cartridge based on pressure. They then fire the loads in an actual rifle to obtain the velocity data and then publish the data as velocity versus charge. As a result their data will always (or at least almost always) yield lower velocities as compared to Hodgdon or Sierra.

Sierra 6th Edition appears to be predominately based SAAMI method testing with velocity data obtained the SAAMI test barrel and chamber. Earlier editions were based on data from actual rifles.

Based on info provided to me by Berger, their data is derived from Quickload. I was surprised by this but that is what they said when providing me a page from the manual.

Some early reloading data in published manuals was based on determination of loads using the traditional signs for pressure and setting the loads based on that data.

The end result is that the published data in everyone's manuals should be at or below maximum pressure when fired in commercial rifles with SAAMI minimum sized or larger chambers. Those loads should typically not result in pressure signs. However, specifically related to brass and primers it is possible to see indications of pressure due to those specific items, such as case head expansion on soft brass or use of a Rem 6-1/2 primer in 223. Obviously the data collected was with specific lots of powder and components so some variation can be expected due those differences. Chambers that are not standard (custom) are a different animal. When the data presented is by velocity the maximum charge is likely less than the actual maximum charge since the data works in specific increments ( ie max velocity in table is 2700 but actual max pressure data was 2740 and the table increment is 50 or more).

When you load and begin to see pressure pressure signs it is almost a certainnty that you are above the SAAMI maximum pressure and you are at the pressure limit for the component that is showing pressure.

Maximum load is a term often used in load manuals and in most cases it is the Maximum load that the specific manufacturer determines to be a safe load. It may or may not be at maximum SAAMI pressure.

QL does say roughly 62kPSI. Probably not exceeding max right up until you develop some carbon fouling and then well over it very quickly. Probably safe at low temps, add heat and carbon and you aren't safe any longer. I'm making some assumptions though because I don't know the cartridge length, barrel length, or velocity.

GRT spit out about 57 KSI with 41.9 gr. I'm not familiar enough with brass for the 260 to know if the 56 grain capacity is representative. That is what my 308 Lapua brass runs. I would suspect 260 would be slightly less.

Getting to stiff bolt is getting up towards 70KSI. I'm wondering about things like case lube or moisture on the case.

GRT spit out about 57 KSI with 41.9 gr. I'm not familiar enough with brass for the 260 to know if the 56 grain capacity is representative. That is what my 308 Lapua brass runs. I would suspect 260 would be slightly less.

Getting to stiff bolt is getting up towards 70KSI. I'm wondering about things like case lube or moisture on the case.

You're right, I thought it was 6.5CM. QL says 260 Rem is close to what you have but with a generic case capacity. I still think this is a carbon issue.

64EAF4AE-7F3F-4177-B947-75139D091195.jpeg
BB45ACFE-877A-47DF-808D-62BB7A187D08.jpeg
A13F093D-12E7-4AB0-A508-09AD5911B5D4.jpeg

Well first set of pics is the rifle dirty second is with one pass of a bore snake. No serious cleaning. The three pics go in order throat middle and muzzle end of barrel. Throat is a bit rough yet and I’m picking up copper there and the muzzle. I also used a hornaday length gauge and I hit the rifling at 2.910 and I’m loaded at 28940. I guess I will do another loader test back at .040 tho jump and run down my powder about down another grain to see if I can find a node down low and see what happens.

Are there other pressure signs other than bolt lift? how much did you bump your shoulders with resizing? What's the case head look like? How close to the lands are you?

At minimum setting on my die. .020 off the lands. Flat primers. Light extractor marks. Definetly not safe conditions. Orginal testing never showed anything like that. Just going to have to load it down for copper atm
31EB7125-0D8E-4B16-BDF5-B196BE954E35.jpeg
041A8536-BC7E-46C5-A29E-D68D05A4B819.jpeg

At minimum setting on my die. .020 off the lands. Flat primers. Light extractor marks. Definetly not safe conditions. Orginal testing never showed anything like that. Just going to have to load it down for copper atm
View attachment 8113561View attachment 8113564
I used to think the guys on here were pointlessly beholden to the Hodgkin extreme powders. I used a lot of Alliant bc…that’s what I had. Now I finally see the point. Temp sensitive powders will drive you mad in the long run. You can make a good load with them, but eventually they cause problems

Last edited:
I used to think the guys on here were pointlessly beholden to the Hodgkin extreme powders. I used a lot of Alliant bc…that’s what I had. Now I finally see the point. Temp sensitive powders will drive you mad in the long run. You can make a good load with them, but eventually they cause problems
Yeah I’m starting to see that. I have 8lbs of h4350 just trying to use up this Imr. May have to use it in another rifle

I’d try a different powder and if it still dies it, measure the chamber. Maybe your brass is a little too long?
Does a bullet fit snug into a fired case? Maybe the neck is tight.?

I’d try a different powder and if it still dies it, measure the chamber. Maybe your brass is a little too long?
Does a bullet fit snug into a fired case? Maybe the neck is tight.?
Yeah I may abandon Imr in this gun, my smith told me he would chamber it on the tight side as it’s mostly a target rifle. Just got in a case gauge for headspace. May play with bump. I’m pretty religious about trimming my brass. Be loading number 3 on this lapua brass. It could be getting work hardened. I want to try annealing soon. This barrel has shown that it’s pretty capable of great accuracy. But I’ve grown to hate load development haha takes forever it seems.

Reactions: Gohring65
Yeah I may abandon Imr in this gun, my smith told me he would chamber it on the tight side as it’s mostly a target rifle. Just got in a case gauge for headspace. May play with bump. I’m pretty religious about trimming my brass. Be loading number 3 on this lapua brass. It could be getting work hardened. I want to try annealing soon. This barrel has shown that it’s pretty capable of great accuracy. But I’ve grown to hate load development haha takes forever it seems.
Whenever I can’t explain pressure issues after trying everything I always look at
Carbon ring
Tight neck
Brass too long.
Good luck, looking forward to what you find.
A reamer that already a tight match reamer getting worn out from over use can cause some problems with chamber dimensions.

The carbon ring has been right at the start of the neck, the reamer he used is has only chambered 2 barrels. Was a Manson i belive. His chamber jobs are pretty rough tho. Saw that in the bore scope. Just in the shoulder area. The rest are smooth
AD853638-D3D1-4EB9-9C3E-88EE4A394B6E.png

Reactions: Gohring65
you could try to back down the load a little maybe 41.5gr besides imr gets a little faster in warm weather and a little slower in cold while not drastic it's different . or if you like the speeds 41.9 give you maybe 41.7gr no idea how it would run in your gun in mine for creedmore using a 140gr projectile 41.9 imr 4350 max 2737 min 2708 avg 2718 sd of 11.1 best of luck to you getting the a load that works for you .

Ended up going to h4350. Shrieked most of my groups. Ended up at a mild 40.8 gr of h4350 at 2625 fps. Sub .4-.5 inch groups most of the time at 100. About 15 fps spread for 10 rounds

IMR 4350 is less temp sensitive than 2/3 of the powders out there. It’s all relative and I have used IMR 4350 for decades. First can I bought was literally a can, and I used it to reload for my 30-06. Kicked like a mule. LoL

If you know the degree of sensitivity (and you should as all powders exhibit some degree or other) then it is a simple thing to adjust. If you are going to load up a thousand rounds then do 4 or so different temp range groups and mark them. Use them appropriately, the key is maintaining your target speed. Once you know your speed then everything else is easy.

Personally I only load up thousands for handguns. My rifles I tend to want to load for the circumstances.

Your velocity's seem to be a bit on the slow side for a 260. The neck area on the chamber looks rough,
how does the rest of the chamber look? That can cause hard extraction.

The IMR4350 is not the problem.

Reactions: Bbracken667
Here in AZ I did my load development with IMR4350 at 85-95’ so I knew what the hottest load would be as I don’t shoot in weather much warmer then that. In Michigan it’s 20-50’ when I go back to hunt and I know it slows down. My .243 with IMR 4350 I see a very high ES but the groups are fine so I don’t worry about it. I am at 41.5 grains. I tested H4350 and it was pretty close to the same charge if I remember correctly.

If you are developing a load at 35-40’ with IMR4350 and are close to max load and then shoot at 80-90’ you are going to be way hot in my opinion.

Reactions: Bbracken667
Exactly. Knowing that is as important as adjusting for that. I don’t get just throwing up hands and cursing the fact.
IMR 4350 is not as temp sensitive as 2/3 of all the powders out there.
BTW I live in Dallas and never go shooting above 95° either lol. That sun is just too close.

Reactions: mullmann
View attachment 8113561View attachment 8113564
Is "copper ATM" a solid bullet. Did you by chance work up a load with a lead core bullet, then try that load with a solid bullet?

Is there any chance your cases have grown a bit longer than they should? I really hate asking that question since knowing and trimming is a very basic reloading process. However there are times when we may overlook the basic in search of something more complicated. Often the simplest answer is the correct one.
All else being the same coming into pressure indications after a period of time can only mean a few things. Are you annealing? If not how many firings on that brass?
Something has changed. Either in the barrel or with your ammo.