• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IMR 4895 Metering

Swiftsilentdeadly

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2009
South Carolina
Greetings/Salutations,

Using the Dillon 550b any issues metering IMR 4895 for handloading 308? My concern is the powder is extruded and was wondering if and what you guys are doing to resolve the issue if there is one.

Thanks in advance

Re: IMR 4895 Metering

You'll have to try and see but I'll bet you'll find you have half a grain of variance. You can live with that if you stay well under max or you can throw, weigh and trickle every charge and return it back to the press.

Some guys polish the funnel and take a taper reamer to the powder drop tube to avoid powder bridging tendencies.

Me, I have a 550 and I gave up with stick powders on the dillon. I'll just go through my preps on the single stage for my "good" ammo. For my plinking loads I'll use the dillon and ball powder like BLC2, W748, or WC844 and the consistency is very good. (I polished my measure interior with a dremel but never touched the dillon powder drop tube)

For IMR 4895 I use the uniflow and toss a couple tenths light and trickle up.

ETA Bridging is a serious issue. if you get a bridge in the drop tube, you will drop a light load which is no big deal. The next one is the whammo load, it'll have all the extra that was stuck which may leave you with god knows how much over loaded....5 grains, 10 grains, 20 grains. Scary stuff!

You could load that powder for plinking loads, but you won't get exact charges. I'd guess .3 grain variance, maybe more. The powder is extruded, and is not the best for progressive. I would get a charge master and a pour through die and pour your powder charge in the case on the up stroke.

If you want match ammo, you need to weigh every charge. If you want bulk blasting ammo, use a spherical powder.

Thanks for the confirmation guys! Appreciate your expertise and advice. Win 748 for blasting and IMR 4895 for match.

Avoid "bridging" @ all costs, roger that!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">weigh and trickle each round.

good luck

Jerry </div></div>

+1

I do the same for my .300 win mag.

I don't shoot competitions but I've had pretty good luck with IMR4895 through my RCBS uniflow powder measure.

Its off right when you first refill the hopper for about 3 or 4 throws of the handle and then it settles down again.

Using reloads with IMR4895, CCI primers, commercial cases and pulled 147 grain FMJBTs the old Garand makes head shots on GI pop ups at 400 yds.

When its right I see most loads at the weight set and it'll vary as much as 0.3 grains but is usually no more than 0.1 on the light side. It usually doesn't go heavy.

The old lyman 55A's have been oiled up and put back in the box in the cabinet.