• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IMR 7828 t° sensitivity ?

Atanasius

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2011
Wisconsin
Anyone familiar with IMR 7828 t°sensitivity? How does it compare to Retumbo or H 1000 (Extreme powders) ? Thanks!

Not as good as either of the Hodgdon Extreme Powders mentioned. It is temperature sensitive and my experience with it in 300 Win Mag and 7mm Rem Mag was it burns dirty compared to either of the Hodgdon powders mentioned. I like Retumbo better than H 1000.

Not as good as either of the Hodgdon Extreme Powders mentioned. It is temperature sensitive and my experience with it in 300 Win Mag and 7mm Rem Mag was it burns dirty compared to either of the Hodgdon powders mentioned. I like Retumbo better than H 1000.

What was the velocity swing in your experience and at what temps?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I live in upstate NY. We get high 90's in the summer and really cold in the winter. Most of my load development is in the colder times of year. I gave up on 7828, not because of accuracy issues, but loads that I developed in the late fall were over-pressure loads in the summer. Same reason I gave up on Win 748, created over-pressure situation in warmer months.

I switched to the Hodgdon Extreme powders for all my rifle loads. The only exception is my 221 Fireball. Reloader #7 is the only way to go.

To further this discussion. What about the 7828 in SC?... I am just starting to work up some loads for the Lazzeroni Warbird with 7828 SC and I use this round to hunt in all types of weather conditions.... extremely cold weather to summer time heat in the 90's. Any recommendations?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

What's a good temp to develop these loads? 0-50 degrees and then 50 plus ?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

If you don't want multiple loads for multiple conditions, then do your load work up in the high of summer. Then TAKE NOTES as you shoot in different temperatures. It is a great powder. I have my old notes from when I did all the chronographing in Hot as balls, warmish, cool, and holy fuck it's cold. I'll dig them up and post the temperature swing, but IIRC it wasn't enough to really bother me for hunting and or shooting steel.

What many fail to realize is a rifle shoots best at certain velocities or "barrel nodes". So the best thing to do with temp sensitive powder is find a node and add or take away from the charge according to the temps you'll be shooting in.

For instance when I used to use R-17 I had 3 loads, summer, spring/fall and winter. Your only talking about .4 grains difference from the heat of summer to the cold of winter for a medium capacity case but the velocity was the same and in the node. Kind of a PITA but it works and solves the problem.

What many fail to realize is a rifle shoots best at certain velocities or "barrel nodes". So the best thing to do with temp sensitive powder is find a node and add or take away from the charge according to the temps you'll be shooting in.

For instance when I used to use R-17 I had 3 loads, summer, spring/fall and winter. Your only talking about .4 grains difference from the heat of summer to the cold of winter for a medium capacity case but the velocity was the same and in the node. Kind of a PITA but it works and solves the problem.

That's what I wanted to say but I hate typing

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The thing we all REALLY want to know is....how do make that cool little circle "degree" thingy, Atanasius?