• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IMR 7977 Powder Vs H1000 Vs Retumbo

waveslayer

Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2012
    CA
    Okay guys, I have a good dilemma on my hands. I have a Lazzeroni Warbird that I have messed around with for a few years. I love that round, it's a screamer.

I have 3 really good loads, I wanted to ask the question to you guys to see what your thoughts are on my situation. I am running a Proof Barrel, and using the 212 Gr. ELD-X bullet.
    Using 93 Grains of H1000 I am getting a sub MOA with 3124 FPS. Using Retumbo with 94.6 grains I am getting 3124 FPS which is sub MOA. Using 92.5 Grains of 7977 I am getting sub MOA with 3084 fps.

What load should or would you go with? All three shoot really well, the bullet is set .035" off the lands. I was leaning towards the 7977 because of the temp stability and how clean it burns. Retumbo is dirty. This is strictly a Hunting rig, so it will see all sorts of temperature swings. That's my personal reasoning for leaning towards the 7977. I had a Warbird built for my old man and he likes the H1000 because of the higher velocity.

I think you're looking for verification rather than asking, you know what you want to run, all 3 loads look in order to me, grab your favorite and have fun.

If you have three totally different powders that give optimum hunting performance then you are lucky. I would take advantage of which ever powder was locally available and least expensive.

Based on what you have posted I would say it is only between the 7977 and H1000. I would lean towards the H1000 due to velocity and cost. H1000 is also part of the Extreme line so it should be just as temp stable as the 7977? Just my $.01 worth.

A friend of mine has theory that once you find the velocity that works for your rifle the powder you use is irrelevant. If you can get a load with any powder that hits the velocity you are good to go. Same seating depth and all. Temp sensitivities are part of the equation. Constant velocity is what matters. Of course this is with the same bullet as BC will also have an effect. It seems to work for me as well. Chase the speed and don't worry about how much of what got it there.
    Happy shooting folks...

I'd just run the H1000, I know that H1000 is temp stable, but it is a bit dirty, very forgiving though.

Deano

A friend of mine has theory that once you find the velocity that works for your rifle the powder you use is irrelevant. If you can get a load with any powder that hits the velocity you are good to go. Same seating depth and all. Temp sensitivities are part of the equation. Constant velocity is what matters. Of course this is with the same bullet as BC will also have an effect. It seems to work for me as well. Chase the speed and don't worry about how much of what got it there.
    Happy shooting folks...

I am working up a load using the Scott Satterlee method right now. I am running it with H1000 first and will do RL26 next. Hearing him explain it, it sounds logical I guess, logical enough anyway that I am giving it a go.