• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IMR 8208 XBR test

LARMIKE

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2009
SE USA
OK I bought an 8lb keg of the powder and went to the range to see how it does. Well it was at least 100 degrees when I was testing. I am using an Ar-15 A4 service rifle. Krieger 1-7.7 long throat 20in barrel. I started off at 23.0 gr. with the 77smk and mag. length OAL. The groups started off quite good but quickly tapered down to under 1/2in. @ 100yds. I moved to the 80gr. SMK for my 600yd.load. I loaded them to 2.500 COAL. and did not fair too well. I then moved to 300yds. and moved the projo back to 2.350. Well that is the cat's meow right there. @ 300 they just fell right in to a nice 1/4 in group. I had 2 rds in just about the same hole. I think I have found the powder for my rifle. I ended up with 24.0gr. with the 77SMK and 24.2gr. with the 80gr.SMK. Also used the Wolf SR Mag. primers. I would load a bit less and work up. Next comes my Dual Ogive .30 cal and the Badger M2008 !!

Re: IMR 8208 XBR test

I just started working up loads with this powder and my Krieger barrel AR as well. So far, the groups are better than with Varget but I have a lot more load testing to do. I have a 1 in 8 twist and I was shooting the 69gr Nosler CC. 23.4gr of powder at mag length was giving me a 5rd group in .4" at 100. At 24.4gr I didn't have any pressure signs but groups were opening. Hopefully I can find another accuracy node over 24.4 gr. I'm planning to do ladder testing the next time I go out to see where the next node might be.

Keep us updated on your recipes as I'm hoping to find my best load with this powder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LARMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I ended up with 24.0gr. with the 77SMK and 24.2gr. with the 80gr.SMK. </div></div>

What Velocities are you getting with the 77SMK load?

Yep we have having the same oustanding results with the .223 amd .308 loads. People have been switching to it and these are hard core accuracy types who were married to Varget, RL15 and several other powders. Not only width OCW of accuracy node, very little change POI, but easy on cases and primer pockets. Have shot it close to 100F no change fractor for heat effecting load, with RL15 about .7 fps per degree ( Not speaking air density )

Note: At some point if you here a strange BARK report don't get unraveled.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flyinrl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hows that stuff meter? Never had a chance to see it. </div></div>

I've been using it in a 270 Winchester. I generally weigh all charges including with powders such as Varget and RL-15. I found IMR 8208 XBR to meter so well, that I don't weigh individual charges when using it.

I got mine from Chattanooga Shooting Supplies. Dealer only sales.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vlcruz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LARMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I ended up with 24.0gr. with the 77SMK and 24.2gr. with the 80gr.SMK. </div></div>

What Velocities are you getting with the 77SMK load? </div></div>

I will have to look at my notes to be exact, but the 80gr. was in the 2850 FPS area.

I have a connection at Chattanooga Shooters Supply as well. They have stuff that you can't find anywhere else..lol.

IMR 8208 XBR test is working well in my 308 with bullets up to 168gr, above that weight it seems to sacrifice velocity.

Hi Vman it is made here by ADI but i have it on good advice that it is unlikley to be released here it would be perfect for 223 f Class loads and i know of 2 people who tested it and with a 30" barrel and 80gr matchKings they could easily get over 3000fps but unfortunatly it wont hit the market here.

It is an amasing powder with the newest technology and made at the same plant as Varget but it has a granule size similar to Benchmark2 or Benchmark in the Us.