• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IMR 8208XBR IN .308 GAS GUNS?

sticshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2010
evansville,in u.s.a
ok,here's my question.i've been running imr 8208 xbr under 175smk's in my .308 r5 bolt gun.i notice that when you look at the specs it's a high pressure powder,about 61,800 cups i think.is this too high of pressure powder to run in a .308 gas gun?

Re: IMR 8208XBR IN .308 GAS GUNS?

Hmmm, that's probably an accurate obervation. I've not tried 8208X in a 308 yet but have in my 223 Ar-15. I found a load of 25.0 gr shooting 50 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips at about 0.6 MOA at 100 yards. Not the best accuracy for my rifle, but more than enough for a coyote load. I did not observe any obvious signs of excessive pressures during load development but I would not want to risk shooting at the pressures you show.

It is actually 61,800 PSI, not CUP, but yes, it is higher than the next highest 59,100 PSI listed for IMR 3031. However, ARs are manufactured in 300RSAUM and those loads go as high as 63,600 PSI. Can the AR platform handle the pressures? Sure. Would I load the XBR at the MAX without checking with the rifle manufacturer? Probably not.

The powder itself is fine but you'll probably have to do some load development to find the right load. If your bolt load is on the higher end of the load data I am not sure I would try it in your AR. Might be overpressure for your specific rifle.

My 22-250 loves it with a 50 and 52 grain Nosler bullet. I have yet to try it in a gasser. Eventually I will get around to it.

Comparisons on the Hornaday load data web site can be deceiving, as some loads are listed in CUP and others in PSI.
Why not just drop off a little and work back up?

Not trying to Jack the thread, but I'm trying to work a load up for my 5r. Tried varget and my rifle hates it. 4064 is money but I hate how it meters. How is 8208xbr running in your 5r? If it is good what charge and bullet weight?