• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IMR VS HOD

gumball

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2008
wv
GUYS
what is the main difference between imr and hodg powder like 4350 or 4895 ive heard that one is just military grade what the deal

Re: IMR VS HOD

Where it's made, the coatings applied, burn rate (close, but not the same), kernel dimensions (Hodgdon variants are often shorter than the IMR powders that they emulate).

thanks guys
just trying to clesr that up do to a debate that i was in

+2 to Kevins post

I found from my experience with IMR and Hods. In my 6BR IMR was around 122FPS slower then Hods. Vel can also vary from diff lots of powder also.

Just my experience
Kc

DO NOT THINK THAT IMR AND HODGEN'S POWDERS USE THE SAME LOAD DATA.
THEY ARE DIFFERENT POWDERS AND MUST BE TREATED ACCORDINGLY!!

I've often wondered why the 2 of them have the same numbers on them. Wouldn't you think it unwise for a company (since it seems that IMR,Hodgdon and Winchester powders are coming from the same company ) to have powders with the same numbers? Even though most of us know to treat every powder individually, there is always going to be some people that will use the same chargerate from one to the other. In an industry where safety is so important you would think that they would go out of their way to make sure you could not mistake one for the other. I just think it's dangerous.

Originally H4895 was surplus IMR4895 that Hodgdon bought and resold. Then IMR decided that it would sell directly to the public and so Hodgdon couldn't get it anymore. So they developed their own powder to compete in the same market segment (burn rate.) Then they added coatings to make it less temp sensitive. The two powders are interchangeable in that if one is appropriate for a particular cart then the other generally is too because that's the general burn rate and powder density Hodgdon was shooting for when developing a replacement for their now defunct IMR 4895 supply, but they are NOT the same powder and have independent loading data.

Later Hodgdon bought IMR so now it's all sold by the same company.

Well said Rat, I was just in a crappola mood and din't feel like typing but wanted to point out that they weren't the same.

I was under the impression that Hodgdon bought Varget and H4895 from the Aussies as surplus ADI powders than labeled them as domestic products.
Both Varget and H4895 have a coating to make them less susceptible to temperature change.

IMR is made to the same specs as it was when manufactured by DuPont.