• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IMR4166 suitable varget substitute?

briang7511

steel smasher
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2013
Michigan
With the varget shortage and having many mouths to feed i am finding the need to look elsewhere. Anyone that has substituted varget for imr4166 in 6GT, 6.5x47, 308, 223, 224 Valkyrie and 22-250 i am interested in your experience?

Last edited:
I wouldn't call it as good as VARGET. It's acceptable. I used it in 308, speed change with temperature is more than VARGET, I am getting good accuracy from it. I want to load up some 6.5x47 and 6x47 with it.

I've heard (heard--as in don't trust this) people refer to both 4166 and N140 as 'Varget Substitute'

Test shows that Temp Sensitivity is close--however, there is some secret sauce that Varget is used everywhere. I don't get it, cause even before the 'crisis' I couldn't find varget, Whether its hype or real or a combo, its the thing to buy.

Also fuck Varget--I'll find Bigfoot, aliens, and the CIA tapes on the JFK assassination before I find that crap. (And mind you I did find other unobtanium during this panic like H4350, H1000, primers, etc)

My 308 Goto is IMR4064, 6.5 is H4350 or IMR4451.

shooters world precision is the closest thing to varget as far as accuracy goes but like varget good luck finding any.

Reactions: simonp
great feed back so far. if anyone has any comparison load data to share please show both your load with varget and 4166. brass bullet and primer to please.

running N150 in my 6GT and it is doing great, it seems to sit right between varget and 4350.