• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IMR4895 H4895 Alternative

scottneh

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2023
New Mexico
Hi all, I've used 4895 for most of my AR10 reloading in the past but now it seems impossible to find. Has anyone out there identified good alternatives to H4895 or IMR4895 forages guns? Also lookingbfor a good powder for my M1 Garand.

AR Comp has been a good alternative in 5.56 and 7.62x51 loads.

I haven't tried it in my M1s yet. Sticking with H4895 until I run out.

Reactions: bobke
I have really good luck in .308 and .223 with Accurate 2460. It’s surprised me to see it’s not to bad in temp stability, plus it meters well. I just drop charge everything.

AA2520 has the same burn rate as 4895, it was developed to be a ball equivalent of 4895.

Accurate 2495 can be found, It's often overlooked and is in the burn speed of 4895. It's now made in the same General Dynamics powder facility as the IMR powders in Valleyfield Canada. Accurate 4064 is another alternative that's made at the same plant. I used up a bunch of the older Accurate 4064 that was imported from the Czech Republic. It was very good powder. It is actually the same powder sold now under the "Shooters World" brand as "Precision". It is Lovex Explosia S062 canister powder.

I bought a newer Lb. of the new Acccurate 4064 from Canada, but I haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of trying Varget again, Vit 133-135, 8208, or Stabal Match.

Really hate using super temp sensitive powders, the worst of which for me was 2520.

Sure wish Hodgdon would make multiple batches of H4895 so it wouldn't sell out within hours because its been my go-to for many years. But of course then they couldn't sell it for the inflated prices we have to pay = Supply and demand.

Reactions: simonp
Accurate 2495 can be found, It's often overlooked and is in the burn speed of 4895. It's now made in the same General Dynamics powder facility as the IMR powders in Valleyfield Canada. Accurate 4064 is another alternative that's made at the same plant. I used up a bunch of the older Accurate 4064 that was imported from the Czech Republic. It was very good powder. It is actually the same powder sold now under the "Shooters World" brand as "Precision". It is Lovex Explosia S062 canister powder.

I bought a newer Lb. of the new Acccurate 4064 from Canada, but I haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

Last year when I was working up loads for my m1 with 168gr SMK's AA2495 grouped the best for me when compared to imr4895 and varget. At the time it was half the price of the other two, not sure about now.

Reactions: simonp