• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

In-Ear Electronic Protection questions

BlkZ06

Gas guzzlin' V-8's, and proud of it.
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2013
SC
I researched the forum here and didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so....

I'm looking for opinions and thoughts on in-ear electronic protection for hunting scenarios only. Meaning, I'd like to have directional hearing and attenuation while the plugs are in, but be comfortable and protect my hearing for 1 or 2 shots with a rifle out of a stand or on the ground.

Some of my rifles are braked with Vais brakes, which to be honest I have not noticed a significant difference in noise from my standard rifle at the range with regular muffs on. But I am dealing with braked rife issues too.

I did stop in at a Cabela's and met with their in house audiologist, who offered to make me a set of custom ear plugs that would do what I wanted. She said the 25DB rating was good enough for a braked rifle as long as I was not shooting indoors, or in a concrete covering.

Good news is my hearing loss is minimal at 49 years of age, mostly in the lower frequencies (from being on construction sites is my guess)- bad news is the custom plugs were right at 3K.

Now, the money isn't truly the issue...its more the fact that I see electronic hearing devices out there from 400 bucks to 3000 bucks, but they all have the same 25DB noise rating. I know you get more gizmos such as volume control, noise cancellation etc for the bigger money....but...is it worth an extra 2500 bucks for volume control or some noise cancellation??

Any thoughts or opinions, I'd love to hear. No pun intended.

I use the Shooting Ear Protection | Digital Hearing Protection from Jack Homa, the electronic Stealth Model.

Red1-380x380.png

Mine are done in black.

I tell you, they are awesome to be on the range all day and not even know they are there. (Beside the obvious advantages in hearing) they do enhance your hearing while at the same time protecting you. Now prior to getting them, I had already damaged my hearing living on a range. But these are the most comfortable option out there, having something fitted to your ears.

For a casual shooter or hunter I am not sure i can tell you $2100 is worth it... that is up to you. But for me, being on the range every single week, absolutely I love them. I don't always turn them on, especially if I am by myself, but I never go anywhere without them.

I figure in 10 years they will be my old age hearing aids, so I look at them as a long term investment.

Once they were fitted, I was sold.

I have to concur with Lowlight. It seems there is a huge spread on in ear noise cancelling hearing protection when it comes to price. I cannot say if one really is better or worth the higher cost. The decent ones tend to start in the several hundred dollar range and I was skeptical of their worth until I got a pair. I use Nitro Ear's and they have a 37db rating ( Nitro Elite w/Passguard ) and am very happy with them. I'm a fan of the Sure fire earplugs but if I wear them for a full day my ear canals feel like they have been raped by a gorilla. With the Nitro Ears they were custom molded and I can wear them all day (6+) hours and my ear canals feel fine. They also stay put in my ear during physical movement/activity to the point that I forget about them entirely.

I don't think you can really put a value on hearing and eyesight and if you spend a good deal of time on the range custom molded in ear noise cancelling ear pro is the way to go IMO. The good part is that they also serve as a hearing aid when not shooting much like Peltors do, so situational awareness is increased when in the woods.

image.jpg

I have to concur with Lowlight. It seems there is a huge spread on in ear noise cancelling hearing protection when it comes to price. I cannot say if one really is better or worth the higher cost. The decent ones tend to start in the several hundred dollar range and I was skeptical of their worth until I got a pair. I use Nitro Ear's and they have a 37db rating ( Nitro Elite w/Passguard ) and am very happy with them. I'm a fan of the Sure fire earplugs but if I wear them for a full day my ear canals feel like they have been raped by a gorilla. With the Nitro Ears they were custom molded and I can wear them all day (6+) hours and my ear canals feel fine. They also stay put in my ear during physical movement/activity to the point that I forget about them entirely.

I don't think you can really put a value on hearing and eyesight and if you spend a good deal of time on the range custom molded in ear noise cancelling ear pro is the way to go IMO. The good part is that they also serve as a hearing aid when not shooting much like Peltors do, so situational awareness is increased when in the woods.

View attachment 25515

Good info in this thread so far, and I appreciate the responses.

37 DB is incredible out of those Nitro plugs!

I have seen the Surefires, but I believe the full rating is only achieved with the little "plug" in, correct?

Last edited:
I have a pair of SoundGear in ear electronic plugs and use them combined with muffs at the range. They work but aren't particularly comfortable when wearing for an extended period of time. I have experienced a fair amount of hearing loss and have constant tinnitus which gets worse each year from both shooting and working around machinery when I was younger. Believe I will take a hard look at the ESP models. My mother experienced total hearing loss in middle age and don't want to wind up in the same situation.

Another highly recommend on the ESP's been wearing for almost 3 years now virtually every day and by far the best in protection on the market!!
I use the Stealths!!

I've been using a set of ESP analog custom fits since 2003 w/o issue for hunting, shooting and as cheaper, albeit adequate for me hearing aid. I have been thoroughly pleased with them and with the custom molding, they are comfortable for all day, everyday use. I did briefly try out one of the behind the ear digital products and the digital sounds were so much cleaner. If I was to purchase a set today, I would definitely be looking at a digital set.

I just wear my Electronic muffs while hunting. Works pretty good. Obvious issues with wearing muffs for hours on end. But, i do that at the range anyway.

I have a pair of SoundGear in ear electronic plugs and use them combined with muffs at the range. They work but aren't particularly comfortable when wearing for an extended period of time. I have experienced a fair amount of hearing loss and have constant tinnitus which gets worse each year from both shooting and working around machinery when I was younger. Believe I will take a hard look at the ESP models. My mother experienced total hearing loss in middle age and don't want to wind up in the same situation.

I have seen the Soundgears as low as 378.00 which I don't think is all that bad of a deal.

These are what I use: AMP37 | HEAR-PRO

I initially bought them just to use while I shot F-Class, but now I wear them when I hunt as well. The only regret I have is that I didn't find them sooner. They are half as much as the ESP earplugs, have a NRA discount and support the shooting sports.

I've been using ESP electronic plugs since 1998. I wear them nearly daily on shotgun ranges( thats where I make my living), but I also use them weekly on rifle and pistol ranges. The protection is excellent, and I find them comfortable enough to wear all day. The protection level is sufficient for rifle and handgun fire, and I believe that because the are so comfortable, you end up wearing them more( instead of constantly taking plugs in and out), therefore you get more protection.

Jack Homa is the man at ESP, but I see you are in SC. Mike and Granny Sherman at PMS Firearms are Jacks largest dealer, and they are based here in the southeast. Google PMS Firearms, and you can find their schedule( they are mobile gunsmithing and accessories). Granny does the BEST molds in the biz( Jack get her to make his personal use molds!), and give great overall personal customer service.

If I can help with anything regarding ESP, contact me here via PM.

Best regards,

Will Fennell
Will Fennell - Home

These are what I use: AMP37 | HEAR-PRO

I initially bought them just to use while I shot F-Class, but now I wear them when I hunt as well. The only regret I have is that I didn't find them sooner. They are half as much as the ESP earplugs, have a NRA discount and support the shooting sports.

Yes, the Amp 37's look really nice. Thanks!

So I have seen a bunch of people mention they have the stealth in the past but why not the dynamic. If your already spending that kind of money what is an extra $300?

What is the difference between the two?

Difference is in the internals. Their site breaks it down in the descriptions of each. Shooting Ear Protection | Digital Hearing Protection Give Jack a call and I am sure he will help you out. He is a great guy to talk to.

I have a set of the Stealths. They do everything I need them to. Comfortable and allow for excellent hearing which helps at matches. I am not a hunter but I can see where being able to hear better than normal would be a plus.

My .02

I have a set of Sport Ear 412's I picked up at SHOT in 2012. I wasn't really in tune with ESP at the time and decided to drop the hammer on the Sport Ear Brand. At nearly $2,000 retail for what I purchased (SHOT deal was considerably better) I have been very pleased with the exception of battery life.

At SHOT this year I plan on visiting ESP and seeing what they offer. Maybe I can get hooked up with a set to give a side by side evaluation. From what I know, they are very comparable. I don't expect to pick a winner based on sound, but comfort may be a factor and maybe just maybe battery life.

FWIW, I am very satisfied with Sport Ear all around. After a 6 hour session (pulling them out every hour or so for a little fresh air) they are comfortable, easy to forget they are there, and have no issue shooting anything I put my trigger finger on.

***I have had several sets of Pro Ears (Various models) along with many other higher end brands and the Sport Ear get's my vote every time over electronic full coverage muffs.

I've been considering trying one of the in ear plugs from Etymotic. They are generally an in ear headphone company that is well known for good headphones. Custom molded stuff for musicians, and headphones for audio enthusiasts. Their electronic plugs seem to be getting good reviews. I doubt they are as good as the ESP's, but they may be a viable alternative for those that can't / don't want to spend the money on the ESP's. The Etymotic's are $350. The model name is GSP15 or EB15 (as far as I can tell these two models are the exact same, just marketed to different markets).

Tag. I would really like to get a set of electronic in ear plugs but just can't see spending 2-3000 on them.

This is Jack Homa from ESP. Let me try and answer some of your questions.

Etymotic - One size that fits all fits no one! Small battery - limited battery life. Microphone exposed to wind noise. Push button volume - You only get the volume levels they pre program.

ESP Stealth vs Dynamic - Dynamic has incrementally better sound. Also adds Auto Environmental Controls - the circuit senses the type of noise environment it is in and auto-tunes the circuit accordingly.

Nitro Ear - After 18 years in the business I have never seen an earplug get a 37 db NRR. I fear that they are quoting the max attenuation at 6000-8000 herts. This is not the same as a Noise Reduction Rating - NRR.

SHOT Show - We do not exhibit at SHOT but I usually attend. However, this year due to scheduling conflicts with the Dallas Safari Club Convention next week I will not be there this year. We will also be exhibiting at the SCI Convention - Ultimate Hunters Marketplace in Las Vegas February 5-8

If anyone every has any questions you can call me at 303-659-8844 for email [email protected]

Jack answered my email very quickly. Since they will not be at SHOT, I have an appointment to get new molds taken locally prior to and shipped this week.

This is Jack Homa from ESP. Let me try and answer some of your questions.

Etymotic - One size that fits all fits no one! Small battery - limited battery life. Microphone exposed to wind noise. Push button volume - You only get the volume levels they pre program.

ESP Stealth vs Dynamic - Dynamic has incrementally better sound. Also adds Auto Environmental Controls - the circuit senses the type of noise environment it is in and auto-tunes the circuit accordingly.

Nitro Ear - After 18 years in the business I have never seen an earplug get a 37 db NRR. I fear that they are quoting the max attenuation at 6000-8000 herts. This is not the same as a Noise Reduction Rating - NRR.

SHOT Show - We do not exhibit at SHOT but I usually attend. However, this year due to scheduling conflicts with the Dallas Safari Club Convention next week I will not be there this year. We will also be exhibiting at the SCI Convention - Ultimate Hunters Marketplace in Las Vegas February 5-8

If anyone every has any questions you can call me at 303-659-8844 for email [email protected]

Thanks for chiming in, Jack. I will be giving you a call later in the week.

I researched the forum here and didn't find exactly what I was looking for, so....

I'm looking for opinions and thoughts on in-ear electronic protection for hunting scenarios only. Meaning, I'd like to have directional hearing and attenuation while the plugs are in, but be comfortable and protect my hearing for 1 or 2 shots with a rifle out of a stand or on the ground.

Some of my rifles are braked with Vais brakes, which to be honest I have not noticed a significant difference in noise from my standard rifle at the range with regular muffs on. But I am dealing with braked rife issues too.

I did stop in at a Cabela's and met with their in house audiologist, who offered to make me a set of custom ear plugs that would do what I wanted. She said the 25DB rating was good enough for a braked rifle as long as I was not shooting indoors, or in a concrete covering.

Good news is my hearing loss is minimal at 49 years of age, mostly in the lower frequencies (from being on construction sites is my guess)- bad news is the custom plugs were right at 3K.

Now, the money isn't truly the issue...its more the fact that I see electronic hearing devices out there from 400 bucks to 3000 bucks, but they all have the same 25DB noise rating. I know you get more gizmos such as volume control, noise cancellation etc for the bigger money....but...is it worth an extra 2500 bucks for volume control or some noise cancellation??

Here is another option hear-pro HEAR-PRO | Custom Sound Management makes an active pair (amp-37) and passive pair (pro-37). Both offer 37db noise reduction and are significantly cheaper than than ESPs. I have been using them for several years and they are great. PM me if you want a better price.

Here is another option hear-pro HEAR-PRO | Custom Sound Management makes an active pair (amp-37) and passive pair (pro-37). Both offer 37db noise reduction and are significantly cheaper than than ESPs. I have been using them for several years and they are great. PM me if you want a better price.

At what frequencies do the Hear-Pro reduce noise by 37db? Are these rated at 37NRR?

Check out Sport Ear. Love mine. They are owned by a hearing aide company.