• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

In-ear hearing aids for shooters

freedom71

Lawprof
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2017
Raleigh NC
Turned 69 this year and I need to get hearing aids for my day-to-day activities. I also do competitive and recreational shooting with pistols, AR-15s, and bolt action rifles (6.5 Creed). Typically double up with soft foam ear plugs and MSA Sordins for competition and range work.

Are there any really good dual purpose hearing aids that I could use for both everyday and shooting activities? Still would use the Sordins for shooting, but looking for in-ear aids that would give me everyday amplification/adjustment along with noise cancellation for shooting.

Thanks!

Reactions: 338dude
I use in ear hearing aids while not shooting but if I am shooting center fire riles I still wear the orange ear plugs and Sordins, and turn the Sordins up enough to hear conversation. I can wear my in ear hearing aids under the Sordins, but don't have a need to.

I have been using Starkey mfg Livio 1600 model for past two years.

Functions controlled with small button on device or iPhone bluetooth controls. Very small profile. Lots of
functionalities for user customization, even updated software for "mask mode" to better decifer those wearing masks AND speaking from
behind plexiglass barriers. Use them with my Sordins too. Nice feature is their "Find my Hearing Aids" (just like find my iphone); used it more than once. Automatically will connect with your iPhone incoming calls and can stream any iPhone content. A little over $5K for the pair.

IMG_4333.jpg
IMG_4334.jpg
IMG_4329.PNG
IMG_4330.PNG
IMG_4331 1.PNG
IMG_4332 1.PNG

I recently purchased a pair of ESP, Inc (electronic shooter protection) Apex model. Apex is their top of the line but they also offer more affordable models.

These are custom molded in ear protection w 13 channels that they’ll program (for free) w your audiogram from your normal hearing aids.

They amplify quite loudly if turned up all the way, have a fast attack attenuation upon gunshot, and have an auto-wind mode which I find important as others I have tried are just white noise generators in the wind.

They are a full custom molded shell so you need to either provide a set of Insta-mold plugs that fit or get a full ear impression made by your audiologist. These are not tiny in ear things but are a full shell (look at their website) which IMO is needed to seal the ear and prevent acoustic pressure from getting around them.

I have used E.A.R. Shot Hunt which use memory foam plug to fit your ear and for hunting I always felt they were ready to fall out, weee useless in the wind, and did not offer custom equalization.

Now, EAR also offers models very much like ESP. I suspect the electronic module is made by the same company in China. Their top of the line only offers 8 channels, you have to push some tiny button to invoke wind mode, and cost more.

If you call ESP, you get Jack Homa on the line. He’s the owner and and a hell off a nice guy. 30 day money back for any reason and a one year fit and function guarantee.

Best of luck

I have significant hearing loss, going on 4 months getting adjusted to hearing aids. Due to my loss, I was prescribed a pair that cost $7,000, they are rechargeable, controlled with my phone, bluetooth etc. My dr advised either turning them off or removing them to shoot even with muffs. They will amplify whatever noise they hear, they do have some protection for loud noises but they are not adequate. There is a hearing protection that fits inside the ear that is used by law enforcement for practice shooting that cost around $1300.

Some of the cheaper models advertise some noise protection but they don't have the hearing amplification of pitches that I need. I had some issues getting used to all the noise that I could hear after I started using them. High pitches still cause some discomfort. They have done wonders for masking the tinnitus that I have had for a very long time.

I’ve got total hearing loss in my left ear- zero. Profound loss in my right ear, like 70%. I wear one hearing aid that’s Bluetooth and I can control via my iPhone like the one above.
For shooting I use the Sound Gear Platinum:

https://soundgear.com/products/custom-product

Because I only need one, it was half price.
My audiologist made an impression and three weeks later I had it. Fit is perfect and best of all it has a mute button so I can shut it off when someone is yammering behind me on the firing line.

Reactions: GUNNER75
In-ear hearing aids can be a good option for shooters who need to protect their hearing while also being able to hear sounds in their environment. These types of hearing aids are designed to fit snugly in the ear canal and provide a high level of noise reduction, while also amplifying speech and other important sounds.

There are several factors to consider when choosing in-ear hearing aids for shooting, including:

1. Noise reduction: Look for hearing aids with a high level of noise reduction, as this will help protect your hearing from loud gunshots and other loud sounds.
2. Amplification: The hearing aids should also be able to amplify speech and other important sounds, so you can still communicate with others and be aware of your surroundings.
3. Comfort and fit: In-ear hearing aids should fit comfortably in your ear and not cause any irritation or discomfort, especially if you will be wearing them for long periods of time.
4. Durability: Hearing aids for shooting should be durable and able to withstand the rigors of outdoor activities
5. Cost: In-ear hearing aids can be expensive, so consider your budget when choosing a pair.

It's important to work with a hearing healthcare professional to choose the right hearing aids for your needs and to ensure they are properly fitted and adjusted. Additionally, it's important to always wear hearing protection when shooting, even if you are also using hearing aids.

Several years ago at SHOT I took advantage of a deal and picked up a pair of Sport Ear Custom (360's but older) in ear units. Still running them today. Love them. Hands down if I were to buy something today I'd go Sound Gear Phantom. (I actually got fit for a set of Sound Gear a few years ago as I thought my Sport Ears were not going to last however I got the issue fixed, I became friends with the audiologist since and had tried a set out they had made undersized) https://www.soundgear.com/custom-fit/?campaign_activity=SoundGear Custom Fit Paid Search Webform&Search_IDA=Custom&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3a2iBhCFARIsAD4jQB2Y2cyl54ja0T2T7UFdfIJvDRHSogJtFTC2NmQcN9CMsC7AJrOow_caAmW-EALw_wcB

My sport ears use #10 batteries. I think the #13's are way better.

Last edited:
In-ear hearing aids can be a good option for shooters who need to protect their hearing while also being able to hear sounds in their environment. These types of hearing aids are designed to fit snugly in the ear canal and provide a high level of noise reduction, while also amplifying speech and other important sounds.

There are several factors to consider when choosing in-ear hearing aids for shooting, including:

1. Noise reduction: Look for hearing aids with a high level of noise reduction, as this will help protect your hearing from loud gunshots and other loud sounds.
2. Amplification: The hearing aids should also be able to amplify speech and other important sounds, so you can still communicate with others and be aware of your surroundings.
3. Comfort and fit: In-ear hearing aids should fit comfortably in your ear and not cause any irritation or discomfort, especially if you will be wearing them for long periods of time.
4. Durability: Hearing aids for shooting should be durable and able to withstand the rigors of outdoor activities
5. Cost: In-ear hearing aids can be expensive, so consider your budget when choosing a pair.

It's important to work with a hearing healthcare professional to choose the right hearing aids for your needs and to ensure they are properly fitted and adjusted. Additionally, it's important to always wear hearing protection when shooting, even if you are also using hearing aids.
It’s a frakin advertisement. Cut and paste from some audiologist marketing pitch?

Reactions: VSP968
Comfort, really? How comfortable is that to have it inside your ear all the time?
My sport ears took just a bit to get used to but not long. I often forget I have them in unless it is over 95F and then I take them out to dry my ears out as well as the units them self. Way better than muffs in my opinion.