• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes In hand, Vortex Gen II 4.5-27x56 MRAD EBR-2C

LibertyOptics

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2004
Kalispell Montana
www.libertyoptics.com
Hiders,

This one is sold to a gentleman who ordered back in January, but he was gracious enough to allow me a little facetime with this new production scope before I ship it to him.

I know Lowlight and others have reviewed this scope and I won't be mounting and shooting the scope like he has, obviously.

However, I get asked my opinions on optics all the time, and I've been forming impressions for 11 years now. So, before I take this beast (not BEAST) out of the box, what questions would you like answered?? I'm guessing optical quality, turret feel, any CA, tunneling, etc.?? Anything else?

Scott

Can you check tracking and the accuracy of the reticle hash marks?

Otherwise, how about eye relief sensitivity - do you have some distance in which the image is good at the highest magnification?

I didn't check for CA yet and tracking and reticle tests will be done tomorrow but the clicks are crisp and both tactile and audible.

Eye relief is good as you don't have to be right on the scope and there is some play for mounting. The scope is very easy to get behind for the eye box as well.

I also looked out at about 200 yards on 27x and it was a good and clear. Will hopefully be getting some through the scope pics at 400 yards tomorrow.

Through scope pics if you have the time. I'm sure you have something slightly scenic in your neck of the woods. ;)

Good morning,
I think most of its been said, but maybe light gathering/contrast in low-light conditions. That and sharpness/clarity/contrast at as long of a distance as your able to get. I appreciate you taking the time to help us out!

I will be mounting either the HD Gen II 3-18 or 4.5-27 on a GAP Crusader 308 that I will shoot out to 800 yards. Would you recommend the 4.5-27 or do you thing the 3-18 would be sufficient for that distance? Steel out to 800 not bullseye.

I've shot steel out to 1800y with a 16x fixed leupold and a 12-50x S&B (@25-30x). Both are more than enough to hit the plates, but the extra magnification (20+) will make it easier to spot hits at those disances. At 800y I think you would be fine either way.

There is not a lot between the two that will be life altering. You can shoot steel at 1000 with 6-10x basically. Looking at my own situation, I never use a low magnification, so the 4.5-27 will give a bit more top end and pretty much the same range to the bottom. I will not notice 3x vs 4.5x but prefer shooting at around 20-30x mostly (so for me the 4.5-27 would be ideal). You can turn the 4.5-27x down to 12x just like the 3-18x, but you can't turn the 3-18x up to 25x. cq determine which part of the range is most important to you.

Only thing remaining is if it's worth the extra money to you. Only you can determine what is best for you. Look at what you have now and if you find yourself wanting something different when using it.

Last edited:
I'd really like some good high resolution pics of the reticle across the mag range, preferably at different distances. Maybe some close up pics of the turrets in the unlocked and locked positions?

I'm sure the turrets are nice. The turrets on my $950 PST are pretty nice...