• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

In Need of Buisness "sniper" Shoe for winter

flyboy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2008
State College, PA
Well, Not really. I'm moving up to Debois PA next week for work, and well, work requires a black dress shoe. But with the snow and all they let not so dressy black shoes slide.

Now I'm from Texas and we don't exactly get alot of ice and snow in Houston so I'm lookin for advice for those of you that know. It would also be good if said shoe had anti slip souls. I'm trying to get away with spending as little as I can get away with, but it is what it is.

Thanks in advance

Also and advice on long underwear, socks, and gloves would also be great.

Re: In Need of Buisness "sniper" Shoe for winter

Glad to give you some input, but as I am at the 45th parallel, not in tropical PA... my choices may be too warm.

PM me... you ok with boots, or do you have to have shoes?

Cheers,

Sirhr

PS... lived in Clear Lake '92 - 94, assighed to JSC. Greatest job ever, but the summers just killed me.

Sorry Flyboy, but I LOL'ed.

Would a pair of Merrell black slip-ons be classy enough. Some smart wool socks will help to keep your feet warm. I doubt you'll need thermals (long underwear) unless you're spending a few hours outside at a time.

recommended shoes

I've seen Walmart sell off brand versions of these (cheap), if you only plan to wear them for the week, wear them out and toss 'em.

Look into Rockports, Johnston and Murphy, Cole Haan. Each one has a shoe with some form of rubber sole with a "grippy" pattern. You could maybe get away with some Bates Chukkas or similar 6". Some look good if you wear your uniform pants with a 1/2 break (No high waters!!). Watch out for the harder soled patterns with grip - you'll know what I mean by taking your first step on a hard surface. Should feel like gum rubber to the touch, will wear fast but be comfortable and better in Type I and IV.

Which means shoe shopping somewhere with multiple stores. Timberland has some great soles that are very comfortable and do well on hard slick surfaces.

Ecco's do the job, but not overly dressy, if I remember your career.

Socks - cotton from Target, Kohls or ??? look around for the best black you can find in a tube sock, unless you like to sweat with poly/spandy blends.

Long-johns -- cheap cotton in dark blue are GTG and do a great job of holding airport food stink in.

Why do I keep having that vision of the kid from Christmas Story here. He was all bundled up sorta like the Michelin Man.

Anyways, for socks, I suggest J.B.Fields, 30 Below, Icelandic Wool Socks. Best you'll ever get, and you'll be happy. Stay away from anything with batteries.
Up North, and working the ranches, the Silk LongJohns were the way to go. Able to move, keep warm, and doesn't hold you back. Also helps prevent overheating when going inside.
The layers is what's going to save you. Not the bulk.

Hope that helps, but let us know when you've been there for a week. Seeing as you haven't had the time to 'acclimate' it's going to be interesting.
wink.gif

Ecco's and Cole Haan both have business casual shoes with rubber soles and Gore Tex lining. Not cheap, but will last you a while and look good doing so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would a pair of Merrell black slip-ons be classy enough. Some smart wool socks will help to keep your feet warm. I doubt you'll need thermals (long underwear) unless you're spending a few hours outside at a time.

recommended shoes
</div></div>

I agree with this. It was the first brand I thought of.

I have Eccos and they are amazing. Good enough to drop $ on 3 pairs.

Look online for a Ecco outlet mall. Get them cheap!

You know the rules right. Blue suit cordoban shoes and belt, black suit black shoes, brown or green suit brown shoes.