• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

In Search of IMR 8208 XBR

Carlos Danger

Keeper of useless information
Minuteman
  • Jan 29, 2019
    Got my 6.5 Grendel out to the range a week or so ago. Hadn't really shot it in some time and decided to see if it was worth an overdue scope upgrade. What I saw showed promise. New Viper arriving tomorrow.

I ran through a 1LB jar of powder pretty quick. I've done some basic interweb searching for an 8LB of IMR 8208 XBR finding most everyone is sold out. Is there some mystery to this? Discontinued, low production, powder hoarders, etc?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hodgdon (yes, they own IMR too) is doing their best to stock powder. But it could be awhile before we see some of the most popular powders. If you do find it, BUY it. Don’t wait to think about it or it will probably be sold out.

Reactions: aljones_315
    And then there are post like this. Seeing it everyone buys 16 pounds of type X powder, if they need it or not. Think over the years: Varget, H-4350, H-1000, some of the slower Reloader powders and now IMR 8208. Hoarders got'a hoard.

Note: this post is not a criticism of the OP, just the hoarders.

Good Luck

Jerry

i just scored an 8lber of 4895 yesterday. great varget alternative as i have used it primarily in my 6br and got better numbers than varget.

Reactions: grizzaws
    Got my 6.5 Grendel out to the range a week or so ago. Hadn't really shot it in some time and decided to see if it was worth an overdue scope upgrade. What I saw showed promise. New Viper arriving tomorrow.

I ran through a 1LB jar of powder pretty quick. I've done some basic interweb searching for an 8LB of IMR 8208 XBR finding most everyone is sold out. Is there some mystery to this? Discontinued, low production, powder hoarders, etc?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'd advise placing a backorder with any vendor that will let you while continuing to search for some in the wild.

And then there are post like this. Seeing it everyone buys 16 pounds of type X powder, if they need it or not. Think over the years: Varget, H-4350, H-1000, some of the slower Reloader powders and now IMR 8208. Hoarders got'a hoard.

Note: this post is not a criticism of the OP, just the hoarders.

Good Luck

Jerry
    Hoarders create new hoarders.

Reactions: mxjunky78
    Here you go. A bit on the expensive side

@Carlos Danger

Here you go. A bit on the expensive side

@Carlos Danger
    Thanks Doc. Was looking for the big boy as I can run through a junior size pretty quick. I may end up trying the CFE223 and one or two others. Don't want to become a part of the problem by hoarding too. Just wonder if people have some sort of inside track getting orders before they come back in stock.

Thanks Doc. Was looking for the big boy as I can run through a junior size pretty quick. I may end up trying the CFE223 and one or two others. Don't want to become a part of the problem by hoarding too. Just wonder if people have some sort of inside track getting orders before they come back in stock.

If you were here in CO is unload one of my 8lbs to you.

I can run right over to Coon Rapids and pick up several. Whats this about out of stock?

8208 is great in 6.5 Grendel, as is CFE223. Have had some very good results with AR Comp, it’s generally available, and adapts well to 223, 6.5CM with light bullets and 308, so pretty versatile. Not very temp sensitive, and maybe not top velocities, but quite forgiving over broad load ranges. Doesn’t flow like CFE, but not a deal breaker. 27ish ARC with 120-123’s will get you close.

8208 is great in 6.5 Grendel, as is CFE223. Have had some very good results with AR Comp, it’s generally available, and adapts well to 223, 6.5CM with light bullets and 308, so pretty versatile. Not very temp sensitive, and maybe not top velocities, but quite forgiving over broad load ranges. Doesn’t flow like CFE, but not a deal breaker. 27ish ARC with 120-123’s will get you close.
    Thanks, nice to know there's other options. Being that I can kind of start fresh with loading this caliber, any suggestions on bullets / weights would be helpful as a starting point. I loaded some previously with 123g Hornady's with once fired Hornady brass. Time for the next batch. Upgraded my glass with some new Vortex since it looks like this might be worth my time and effort.
    20200207_174145.jpg

Thanks to a fellow member (you know who you are) for hooking me up big time on enough 8208 to last me for awhile. Glad to see members coming through to help out another.

Reactions: Hey-Who1776
    Bumping a thread instead of starting a new one. Any leads on 8208 that will ship it can’t find any locally in CT

Does no one have stores in their state that have reloading powder? I'm in Ohio and I just google searched for gun shops and sporting goods stores within 100 miles and found multiple places. Couple months ago I bought a keg of 8208($170) and H4350($190) and they had multiple kegs in stock.

Might be a good idea... can't imagine paying $220 plus s/h and Hazmat lol

Reactions: Carlos Danger
    The dealers around me (4 of em) are all out of just about everything

damn... Might wanna check further out... not sure where you live.

Last time I drove just over an hour and a half one way. Just stocked up on a lot of reloading stuff.

I’m in CT. I may have to check mass and see if they have anything. I scored a bunch of primers so I’m good for a while. I’ve never really stocked up big before but I will from now on. Lesson learned. I wouldn’t be hard pressed about getting 8208, but everyone says how well it goes with the 77 smk...

great find, thanks for sharing. They were selling out fast too. I first looked and 10 minutes later they had already sold a bunch and were down to 19 left. Very pricey but it is what it is at this point. I’ll be good now for a while
    brunoshooters.com has it in stock right now. Bit pricey but available for the moment.

brunoshooters.com has it in stock right now. Bit pricey but available for the moment.

It's supply and demand and economics, but since the crunch a number of years ago Bruno's has consistently been a fair amount higher in price on popular powders... gouging if it were.

If you need it however, that's an option.

It sure would be nice if we didn't have the perpetual hiccups in the supply chain.