• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

In Search of Kidd Supergrade (Older Version With Barrel Threaded Into Receiver)

Redrobin

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2019
Hello All!

I'm in search of an excellent condition "first generation" Kidd Supergrade rifle with the barrel threaded into the receiver. I completely understand the versatility of the newer switch barrel version but being an eccentric stuck in his ways I have thus far avoided rifles, both rimfire and centerfire, that do not have a threaded receiver/barrel attachment. It would be for hunting/carry/ occasional recreational target use so the lighter the better. Having said that, and again because I am old school, I would prefer a solid steel barrel and if it is any longer than 16" I would have it shortened/crowned. If I come across a nice condition one with an aluminum or carbon sleeved barrel I would not turn it down. I'm fairly new to the 10/22 platform and therefore on a learning curve so feel free to laugh/comment on my obvious ignorance and I will laugh with you while trying to gain knowledge as I go.

Thanks any input or advice!

Rob

Your best route would be hang around RimfireCentral, that is the largest congregation of 10/22 and specifically Kidd that I know.

Personally, I trust anything Tony does to the 10/22 platform. If he does something, he has a good reason for it.

Your best route would be hang around RimfireCentral, that is the largest congregation of 10/22 and specifically Kidd that I know.

Personally, I trust anything Tony does to the 10/22 platform. If he does something, he has a good reason for it.
Thanks for the advice Tortuga! I did post the same message on Rimfire Central but since I have followed quite a few in-depth rimfire threads here on the "Hide" I decided to throw it out here also. Is "Tony" here at the Hide or over at RC?

After a few years of gleaning enormous amounts of info both here and on RC without participating I am just now getting tempted to post a little bit. I have always been intimidated to do so because so many of the members are giants of firearms knowledge and I feel like a little kid interrupting an adult conversation. I've been using firearms since the age of 4 and am 58 now but just in the last few years have become much more interested in the "technical" aspects of ballistics as well as increasing my ability to work on and maintain my arms.

Okay. I just now realized that "Tony" is a reference to Tony Kidd. At first I was thinking he was someone else with a wealth of 10/22 skill.

Reactions: Tortuga
Hello All!

I'm in search of an excellent condition "first generation" Kidd Supergrade rifle with the barrel threaded into the receiver. I completely understand the versatility of the newer switch barrel version but being an eccentric stuck in his ways I have thus far avoided rifles, both rimfire and centerfire, that do not have a threaded receiver/barrel attachment. It would be for hunting/carry/ occasional recreational target use so the lighter the better. Having said that, and again because I am old school, I would prefer a solid steel barrel and if it is any longer than 16" I would have it shortened/crowned. If I come across a nice condition one with an aluminum or carbon sleeved barrel I would not turn it down. I'm fairly new to the 10/22 platform and therefore on a learning curve so feel free to laugh/comment on my obvious ignorance and I will laugh with you while trying to gain knowledge as I go.

Thanks any input or advice!

Rob
Have you checked with Kidd, me may still make one. I'm not trying to talk you out of a threaded action. I have the new Supergrade. It is very nice to remove the barrel and clean the buildup around the barrel hole. I do that once or twice a year, You can't do that with a fixed barrel gun. I clean the chamber every 250 to 300 rounds and run a Rip Cord thru the bore.

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I did check with Kidd first before I started to look for a pre owned one. I was told that they would not still build one even as a custom order.

I HAVE considered the newer Supergrades and have not completely ruled one out if I can't find a nice 1st generation model.

Rob