• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors In the market...

Jester8

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2006
Bis. No.Dak.
for my first 1911. Don't want to break the bank. Budget is around 600. I've looked at the Springfields, Kimbers are out of my range, and handled a Legacy Sports 1911.

I want something that is going to be well made (does that go hand in hand with my budget
crazy.gif
) and reliable. This pistol will be used primarily for range use.

I'd like someting that comes with a relatively good trigger, and decent sights.

Recommendations?

Re: In the market...

Ive had good luck with my Taurus PT1911, other hide members have reported issues with it though. However for the price point, i am quite satisfied.

magnum research 1911

check out the features it comes with, and feel it for yourself. The quality to price ratio is what surprised me most. It has parts stock that you would often pay exorbitantly more for with other companies (eg. kimber/wilson)

I looked at the Magnum Research model online. Haven't found one in any of the shops.

One of my main questions I guess, after I am learning more about these pistols, is what type of things should I be looking for when it comes to finish and fit?

new, the pt1911 is probably your best best. I bought a kimber custom eclipse in good condition used this year for 700. I would image you could get their base model or a tle for 600 used. 45acp is a low pressure round; so the barrel life is very long.

I have a 38 Super, Combat Commander (Colt)which by most standards is a very nice example of the 1911 series. I spend more time oiling it than shooting it.
At the opposite end of the extreme, I have a full size Springfield with the matte finish, standard 3 dot sights and basically dead stock. I did add a Videcke(sp?) long trigger probably 15 years ago.
That Springfield, has spent many miles in a shoulder holster, under the seat of a truck, strapped to all sorts of packs, belts, steering columns and I forget what else.
It digests anything I can find to feed it, including a never ending diet of Dillon produced loads. I don't remember the last time it jammed or choked. It has never misfired or stovepiped. It shoots to the point of aim or slightly high, with some loads.
I never felt undergunned with 7 rounds and often carried it in condition three. You will know, when to slide one in. There are spare mags of ammo scattered throughout my life. We have seen some "events" together.
I was looking at it recently, thinking I should send it in and have a new finish applied. But looking more closely, I like the finish - or lack thereof - as is. And it makes me happy to know I wore the finish off, one adventure at a time.
I guess that's an answer.
Larry

Get yourself an RIA Tactical.

The STI Spartan is the same gun, but the only real difference is the slide serrations, trigger, hammer, sear, and disconnector.

Buy a used Kimber ! Just have to save a little more or keep an eye out on Guns America and/or Gunbroker.

Update: I went ahead and bought a Citadel Compact. Shot it last night, and realized that I cannot hit the broadside of a barn.

I was shooting indoors, 50ft, with Win Clean 230 gr. Need more practice to say the least. Hoping once it gets broke in a little more and my skill increases it will tighten up the groups.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CMonty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive had good luck with my Taurus PT1911, other hide members have reported issues with it though. However for the price point, i am quite satisfied.</div></div>

+1 - triggers can have a little slack but they have a really light pull and are easy to get used to in my experience.

I guess I'm too late to chime in. Magnum Research is making a decent gun. Barrel fit on the one I handled wasn't quite to my satisfaction but it surely would have held 3" groups or better at 25 yds. The STI, while I haven't handled it, is built damn well. And that's coming from a close friend of mine that is testing a 9mm version right now. He told me there is zero slop in the slide or barrel fit. And reports of owners on brianenos.com have them going many thousands of rounds without any noticeable slop developing. I have yet to lay my hands on a Citadel however, I have little confidence in Taurus. Just seen too many Taurus built guns that had to go back for warranty work. If they want to send me a PT1911 to use and abuse for 6 months and report on (in an effort to change my mind), I'll cheerfully take them up on it but I don't foresee that happening. Other options would have been a used Kimber or Springfield.

I'd ask for an accuracy test on the Citadel, but it sounds like there could be a software malfunction.
laugh.gif

I guess I'm too late to chime in. Magnum Research is making a decent gun. Barrel fit on the one I handled wasn't quite to my satisfaction but it surely would have held 3" groups or better at 25 yds. The STI, while I haven't handled it, is built damn well. And that's coming from a close friend of mine that is testing a 9mm version right now. He told me there is zero slop in the slide or barrel fit. And reports of owners on brianenos.com have them going many thousands of rounds without any noticeable slop developing. I have yet to lay my hands on a Citadel however, I have little confidence in Taurus. Just seen too many Taurus built guns that had to go back for warranty work. If they want to send me a PT1911 to use and abuse for 6 months and report on (in an effort to change my mind), I'll cheerfully take them up on it but I don't foresee that happening. Other options would have been a used Kimber or Springfield.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd ask for an accuracy test on the Citadel, but it sounds like there could be a software malfunction.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Haa haaa, more than likely not the hardware! I think you are on to something....

If you buy a used Kimber, make sure it has the internal extractor. I had an external version and it fubar'ed several times. That is why I sold it.

Jerry

I have handled a couple of Citadels and they have had a pretty darn good trigger and not much play between the slide and frame for what they cost.The guys that own them say they shoot pretty good.And hey, you can swap out the parts on it if you need to with all the other big name parts companies. I own a Smith&Wesson 1911 Tactical in stainless that I have shot and worn the heck out of and am about to send it off and have the finish redone, a threaded barrel and raised sights. I just bought a SA Champion Operator that will be my new carry piece. Both are tac drivers.

Not sure where you have looked, but the Springfield GI should fall in your range. I think above all Springfield's customer service makes them one of the best options.