• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

In this thread we will discuss heavy bolt lift.

Thump_rrr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2011
When discussing bolt action rifles I mostly own Savage model 10 and 110 rifles.
This summer I built an Ultimatum Deadline Gen 2 with an IBI barrel and an MDT ACC chassis.
I have put north of 17,000 rounds through these Savage rifles and nearly 700 through the Ultimatum.

I keep hearing about heavy bolt lift and I don’t understand it because I have never experienced it with the exception of a couple of hand loads during load development which I would never consider using.

I was at a clinic/match this weekend.
One of the shooters, who little did I know has competed at the national level and still holds a record that stands today, had a Kelbly Atlas action.
We tied the last 500m stage at 50.9V equivalent to a 100-9X
Not knowing anything about his rifle I asked if it had a 60° action.
He looked at me as if I had 2 heads and stated that a 60° action could never have a bolt lift as light as a 90° action and it was simple physics.

I’m not a big or particularly strong guy so I really don’t know if this is really an issue.

We had someone on the line on Saturday who seemed to have a particularly hot round go off and couldn’t open his action.
The match director had to use the holy hammer (2 lb orange dead blow) to open the action.
There was considerable force used and the silver soldered handle on the Remington action was starting to separate. This is obviously not what I would consider to be what we are discussing.

It sounds like you practice good load development and quality control.

I've experienced heavy bolt lift because I did some load development during cooler temps. One day I was out shooting in the desert sun on an 89° day, and my gun started acting up. Turns out that powder was more sensitive to heat than I would have thought.

Reactions: lash
When discussing bolt action rifles I mostly own Savage model 10 and 110 rifles.
This summer I built an Ultimatum Deadline Gen 2 with an IBI barrel and an MDT ACC chassis.
I have put north of 17,000 rounds through these Savage rifles and nearly 700 through the Ultimatum.

I keep hearing about heavy bolt lift and I don’t understand it because I have never experienced it with the exception of a couple of hand loads during load development which I would never consider using.

I was at a clinic/match this weekend.
One of the shooters, who little did I know has competed at the national level and still holds a record that stands today, had a Kelbly Atlas action.
We tied the last 500m stage at 50.9V equivalent to a 100-9X
Not knowing anything about his rifle I asked if it had a 60° action.
He looked at me as if I had 2 heads and stated that a 60° action could never have a bolt lift as light as a 90° action and it was simple physics.

I’m not a big or particularly strong guy so I really don’t know if this is really an issue.

We had someone on the line on Saturday who seemed to have a particularly hot round go off and couldn’t open his action.
The match director had to use the holy hammer (2 lb orange dead blow) to open the action.
There was considerable force used and the silver soldered handle on the Remington action was starting to separate. This is obviously not what I would consider to be what we are discussing..
I would have to say that the bolt lift on my Model 12 LRPV is " heavy ". While it might bother some, not me. It`s strictly a range gun for fun at 500 yards and I`m not shooting fast. My 110 is not heavy at all.

90° actions will indeed have lighter bolt lift than 60° actions, all else being equal. All else is rarely equal.

I think this is like any number of other ergonomic issues where its importance is often exaggerated.

Reactions: kthomas
I much prefer a 90 because of the lift being so much lighter but there isn't a qc action with a 90 and I prefer benefits of have 3 actions I can run all my barrels on so that's what my main rifles are. It's not some make or break thing though

90° actions will indeed have lighter bolt lift than 60° actions, all else being equal. All else is rarely equal.

I think this is like any number of other ergonomic issues where its importance is often exaggerated.

This.

The easy way to explain it is that a 60° action has to do all the same work to cock the firing pin as a 90° action, but that force is occuring over 30° less travel.

But as @E. Bryant states, there's other factors as well that play into bolt lift, and it's never exactly the same between each type of action or even within the same specific model of action.

Reactions: E. Bryant
Heavy bolt lift and smoothness of the whole operation used to be high on my priorities but as I’ve gotten older and bought/ built/ sold many rifles I am much more interested in how dependable/ rugged/ accurate a rifle is, even if the bolt isn’t as smooth as a BAT.

If the lift is heavy enough to upset your rifle while on bags in a benchrest scenario or maaayyyyybe even on a bag in PRS-type then I can see the argument for finding an action which lighter lift. For most, I think it’s obsessed over a bit much.

This will reduce bolt lift:

Added it to my Stealth 338LM and it works as it should.
Interesting. I never knew that existed for Savages.

When I saw your post, I first thought you might be kidding around and thought of this:

1697827569538.jpeg

Heavy bolt lift and smoothness of the whole operation used to be high on my priorities but as I’ve gotten older and bought/ built/ sold many rifles I am much more interested in how dependable/ rugged/ accurate a rifle is, even if the bolt isn’t as smooth as a BAT.

If the lift is heavy enough to upset your rifle while on bags in a benchrest scenario or maaayyyyybe even on a bag in PRS-type then I can see the argument for finding an action which lighter lift. For most, I think it’s obsessed over a bit much.
THIS

@OP - There is heavy bolt lift by design of the action, then there is heavy bolt lift over pressure conditions. Just FYI Lol

Well stated. I’m much more concerned with my bolt knob hitting my scope and mashing fingers, so frustrating. I’m really considering swapping from an Impact to a 60 degree (Apollo or Zeus) for that reason.

I’ve always wanted an Atlas Tactical but I’m afraid I would have the same issue. From pics/videos I’ve seen with the Atlas, it doesn’t seem to be as close to the scope as my Impact but I don’t know anybody with one who can confirm this and I don’t want to spend $1000 to find out.