• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

In today's market build or buy AR-10 type rifle?

kaotic504

Private
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2012
North TEXAS
I have been selling my AR-15 lowers and parts to get AR-10 lowers since the whole Sandy Hook ordeal. But now with prices dropping, I was wondering if I should just sell my lower and upper combos and buy something like a POF 308? I have two upper and lower combos and two additional lowers. I'm not sure if I can get my money back out of them so I was wondering if I should just go ahead and build them out? Thanks for any advice you can give.

I would gradually purchase parts for your AR10 build, while keeping an eye open for a good foundation rifle. AR10 parts will be in high-demand no matter the market, because they have been a growing market with limited capacity for manufacture for years. Industry response to getting AR10-frame weapons on the shelves is a good indicator of how much demand there is for the big boys, as everyone and their brother has jumped on the large frame bandwagon.

I built one about 2yrs ago. Today, i'd buy one. There's pitfalls to building and if it means buying more or different parts it means more money, hassle and time. Plus, there are some extremely good rifles on the market now. Its doubtful an amateur could spend equal money on a build and get a better rifle. Its possible but unlikely.

The only "issue" atm is BCG's.

To be 100% honest, I'd just go straight out and buy a PoF or whatever your style is because BCG's are back ordered for at least 5-6 months atm. -- Especially on 308's.

I ordered firing pins back in January from Armalite, still haven't seen them...

Would expect the same to be true of everything else so, I'd spend the few extra bucks to get the full package, now. - I'm not talking paying crazy amounts more but, if you find one at "the right price", I'd just get that while you can.

I agree with all above. The wait times are pretty large on 308 factory guns, so if you can't wait then build. Parts are scarce for building as well. Most of the parts from good dealers haven't changed. Good barrels are still the same price they were before sandy hook as well as all the other parts associated with a build. The problem has become stock. There is so little in stock right now that your whole build could be stopped dead for months because one thing, minor or major, is out of stock with no clue as to its return date.

I've posted this in several 308 build threads but again as an FYI:
Buffer spring
Buffer
RE
RE nut
Stock
LPK
Upper/lower uses dpms thread patter for the rail and I managed to catch it on sale last Christmas 2010 for $499 @ Aimsurplus
BCG
Charging handle
Rail you'll have to check what your upper high is. there is a diagram there that will tell you what the dimensions should be for the low vs the high
Comp personal preference
Barrel

You can use a standard AR15 LPK except for the take down pins. You need different ones that mate with the upper lower you choose. For instance Armalite has specific ones that are longer than standard ar15 ones. But the MA-ten come with them installed already so you dont have to worry about that. Armalite also sells an ar10 specific bolt catch but in my MA TEN I just used the standard one with 0 problems. The Armalite one IS different dimensionally though so if you go with an Armalite lower you will more than likely need to use it.
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/ARMEA1112.aspx
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/ARMEA1113.aspx
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/ARM10203100.aspx

The bolt will need to match whatever barrel extension that is installed on the barrel. I'm fairly certain there are only 2 types. Armalite pattern and DPMS/KAC pattern. If you asked me a year ago when I was researching and building my gun I could have told you the differences, but no longer.

Also whatever upper lower combo you get will need to match the rail in both thread pattern and rail height. There are at least 3 different kinds. Armalite, DPMS high profile, DPMS low profile. The DPMS both have the same thread pattern and the only difference is the height of the rail
From here:
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2493
Here is a link to the difference between the 2 DPMS types
http://www.rainierarms.com/misc/DPMS_RECEIVERS_COMPARE.pdf

After all of that I would just buy one. A word of warning however after handling a friend's MWS: that thing is HEAVY!!!!!! My 308 with the parts listed above weighs 9.3 pounds with a dimpled barrel.
HmJKV.jpg

I tend to agree with everyone else, just buy one. With all the current political uncertainty surrounding a potential gun ban you may find yourself SOL in the parts department due to supply and demand. All that I'm saying is this, if you can purchase one complete and ready to shoot then why wait and try to build the perfect rifle when parts availability could easily stop you dead in your tracks, especially if a ban were to be implemented. Buy now while you know you still can and if the ban doesn't go through then you'll have plenty of time to build one from the ground up. I'd rather get one while I still can than regret not doing so if they become banned.

I purchased a POF USA P308 NP3 16.5" from OST for $2749.00 a few weeks ago when they got 3 in stock. It arrived at my FFL today and I pick up tomorrow. My buddy got an M&P 10 .308 18" on Friday for $1750.

I havent seen much stock on any AR10 since Sandy so get what you can. Gun show Friday had 2 Colt .308 for $3700

Thanks for the suggestions. I currently have a GAP-10 but now that I have one, I want another. But I don't want to wait another 6+ months. I've been seeing POF's sold lately at decent prices so I was wondering if I should sell all my lowers and use that money to buy one or not. The reason why I want a POF is bc GAP can always build an upper for me.

If anyone has a factory POF, LMT, or REPR, I will trade two POF lowers (one black and one NP3), a Black Rain np3 upper and lower combo (stripped) and a Mega Maten np3 stripped for one.

Thanks

I bought my first AR10 as a factory DPMS LR308. It was a good shooter but nothing compared to what I have built since then. I still use some DMPS parts but I really mainly build with the custom Billet sets now. I did buy a POF 308 factor rifle a year ago and shot it for awhile. It was a great rifle but I for some reason could not get used to the piston system in the big bore. It has a different recoil and I could never get to shoot like I could my gas rifles. I now have four AR10 platform rifles three Mega's and one SDI. All shoot amazingly well especially the Mega MKM in .260. If you can find a good billet build or wait to get the parts that is the way to go IMHO. I have less $ into all my builds than I paid for the POF. I'm parting with one of my Mega's if your still looking. I have it posted on ARFCOM but not here since I don't have 100 posts yet. Drop me a PM if you want pics and details. I started a new post on my .260. Check it out.

I was in the same boat, the issues I ran into were back orders on barrels, paying 20-30 more for a lower parts kit than normal, rifle length buffer tubes were hard to find, but did come back into stock and locating bolt's and especially bolt carrier groups. When I could find them on places like Gun Broker they were bid up to $400.00 for a $265.00 part. I lucked out and found a NIB Armalite AR-10 Super SASS at a reasonable price and bought it., along with enough mags. I can cell you that SI-Defense is about 4 weeks on .308 matched upper and lowers. Stripped they are around $590.00. At my local gun show this last weekend the prices were starting to gravitate back to normal. You can probably wait things out an build one cheaper than trying to find a complete rifle and possibly cheaper. After picking up that SASS I like many other gun guys had love at first sight and feel . Since I was ok with the price albeit a few more hundred more than what I was going to spend, it was worth not having the wait time and frustration. But that is me and your situation could very well be different.

Last edited:
The only "issue" atm is BCG's.

To be 100% honest, I'd just go straight out and buy a PoF or whatever your style is because BCG's are back ordered for at least 5-6 months atm. -- Especially on 308's.

I ordered firing pins back in January from Armalite, still haven't seen them...

Would expect the same to be true of everything else so, I'd spend the few extra bucks to get the full package, now. - I'm not talking paying crazy amounts more but, if you find one at "the right price", I'd just get that while you can.

What this guy said, I just finished building up a Ma-Ten and a Recce clone. I had to beat the bushes to get parts, a buddy of mine has had parts backordered since about a week after Sandy Hoook and still doesn't have enough to complete the rifle. If I were you, I would put in an order for a Larue or LMT or GAP, and sell the uppers/lowers when it comes in.

Good Luck on getting parts to build one. It wasn't good before and it is nearly impossible now. You would have a better chance of finding a complete rife, IMO. I am longing to build a third MA TEN and not hopeful of anything this year.

I have owned 5 different AR10's, starting with an Eagle Arms EA-10 24" CMV barreled gun that would literally shoot 10rds into 1" at 300yds. No matter what I pointed that thing at, it just hit where I aimed. Unfortunately, I sold it when I become more focused on shooting 3-gun. I then bought a DPMS LR-308 24" in 2007, and a DPMS LR-260 as well. I wasn't satisfied with the accuracy from the DPMS factory guns that I ended up with, so I ordered all my parts except the barrel, and had GA Precision build me a pimp .308 with an Obermeyer pipe at 22", and that gun shoots .5-.75 MOA for 5rd groups with the 155gr Scenar. This was before the GAP-10 existed.

I then did the same thing and had them do me a .260 Rem 22" with a Bartlein pipe, which is my favorite of all. If you get a good barrel, and are familiar with what makes these guns run, you can be your own QC or have a reputable AR10 smith do your work for you. The Criterion barrels from Fulton and the Ranier barrels are hard to beat for a project gun. I personally can't bring myself to buying off-the-shelf anymore, although I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Armalite AR-10A in .260 Rem.

The 6.5 Grendel ruined any prospects of me ever building a .308 AR again, so it only exists as a long-range platform for me for reaching way out, and .260 Rem is the cartridge to do it with from the AR15's big daddy.

Thank you all the sound advice.

LRRPF52, if I were to build, why would you choose 260 remington over 6.5 creedmore? Thanks

Thank you all the sound advice.

LRRPF52, if I were to build, why would you choose 260 remington over 6.5 creedmore? Thanks

Do you reload or want factory ammo? Ballisticaly very similar but Creedmore is a lot cheaper if you buy factory ammo. Around $25 a box vs $35+ a box.

Do you reload or want factory ammo? Ballisticaly very similar but Creedmore is a lot cheaper if you buy factory ammo. Around $25 a box vs $35+ a box.

I reload.

I may build bc I'm already invested in some parts and likely won't get anywhere near my investment back.