• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing inch pounds torque screwdrivers

pklin1297

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2008
Fontana, CA
Hello,

Can someone recommend a good torque screwdriver for scope mounting purposes (15 in/lbs. - 30 in/lbs.), and also another for action screws which I believe need to be 65 in/lbs.?

Thanks.

Re: inch pounds torque screwdrivers

Pete,
Fat wrench. Good little piece. I got one works well for the price.

SOTA

I use the ones mac tools offers. They are expensive but worth the money in my eyes. On a side note I used them at my regular job too, so the cash was justified.

P/N TSM16-88
TSM16-88.jpg

and

P/N TSM4-22
TSM4-22.jpg

along with this bit kit

P/N SBM123B
SPM123B.jpg

Fat Wrench, not much money works well, the bits have a tendency to fall out but a minor problem. If your not using it every day its well worth the cost.

bshaw

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

P/N TSM16-88
TSM16-88.jpg

and

P/N TSM4-22
TSM4-22.jpg

along with this bit kit
</div></div>

The one I use looks like that.

Forgot the name. It's green, has a hex head adjustment in the rear...

It kicks ass. I'm sure someone here will chime in with it's name.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one I use looks like that.

It kicks ass. I'm sure someone here will chime in with it's name.</div></div>

SK
http://www.amazon.com/SK-Hand-73008-16-88-Inch-Pound-Screwdriver/dp/B0002FUC8S

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one I use looks like that.

It kicks ass. I'm sure someone here will chime in with it's name.</div></div>

SK
http://www.amazon.com/SK-Hand-73008-16-88-Inch-Pound-Screwdriver/dp/B0002FUC8S </div></div>

Ya! That one kicks ass! Well worth it

Thanks guys for your suggestions! I think I will give the Fat Wrench a try!

Guys, what am I missing here? Has the FAT wrench been improved? I bought one a couple of years ago and it was junk -- sent it back the next day. The bits would fall out, and there was no way to know precisely what setting you are on. The dial is simply a guess as to what torque setting you are dialing in. There is no way to return to a setting you used previously. If you get in the ball park with this thing you are lucky.

Sorry to jump in but does anyone know anyone who still makes the inch pound torque wrench with the circular dial like the old proto's, and snap on's ?
Randy

Tex1970
You can get a Seekonk 1-75 inch pound torque wrench from Brownell's ($160). I much prefer this to the others that break at a set value. You can also go more than 75 inch pounds by going to 75 and then another 25 = 100 inch pounds. At some point in time you will probably need more than 65 "#s and rather than buy another tool later on- just buy the right one first.

david

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tex1970</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Sorry to jump in but does anyone know anyone who still makes the inch pound torque wrench with the circular dial like the old proto's, and snap on's ?
Randy </div></div>

Proto still makes them.

Give Scott at Liberty Optics a call on the Seekonk 1-75 inch pound torque wrench. Better price and shipping is included.

He usually has them in stock! What's not to like?
smile.gif

Thanks for the heads up gentlemen, I would like one of the proto 0-250 inch pounds leaves room for working on automatic trannies.
Thanks Randy