• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Incorporating a Lee Collet Die into my process

Cproflow

King of the Shank
Minuteman
Jan 12, 2011
Lyons, Colorado
I'm getting a Lee Collet Neck Die in .308 soon (all these ringing endorsements have swayed me), <span style="font-style: italic">and this is potentially silly question</span>. I'm only asking because I have a nice Forster FS die that I use every time in my workflow...and I guess it pains me to see it get 'retired' based on a good outcome with the LCD.

I know folks pair the LCD with a Redding Body Die often to bump shoulders.

My question is--if I just remove the expander button from the Forster...do I basically just have the same thing? The way I'm seeing it, I'd get the benefit of FS on the shell + my shoulder bump, without the 'pull through' of the expander. I would follow up with the LCD.

Is this a workable solution, or will I still get some unintended neck sizing/tensioning?

Thanks for any clarity on the matter!

Re: Incorporating a Lee Collet Die into my process

I asked the same question not long ago. Here is a link to the responses I got.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...543#Post3666543

As pointed out by Flight 762, using the full size die without the expanding button will size the neck way too much because you aren't pulling the expander button back through it. The Redding body die will full size size the body of the case without touching the neck. Use the Lee collet die first and then the Redding body die.

Why not just use the collet die? And when you need to set the shoulder back use your full length die. Using a neck die followed by a body has always seemed like an unneccesary extra step to me when you can just full length size or get die like the forster bump neck sizing die.

i just use the collet die, then bump the shoulders whenever they get whiny or get extractor marks. Every three or four cycles usaully.

Beef...I have found that by doing the collet neck and then the body die reduces my run-out considerably. Your mileage may vary. Ciproflow...Forster will custom ream the neck on your full length die to whatever diameter you want, within reason of course, for $16 including return postage.

I would just use the collet die and get a bump die to use when you need to set the shoulder back .The bump die will size the case body and push the shouler back but doesnt touch the neck .You will know when its shoulder bumping time as the bolt will get harder to close .Arnie

I originally started with a Redding Type S FL bushing die only, I even tried the carbide floating button for awhile too. After talking with a few on here, I have switched up.
Lee Collet first, then gutted Type S FL sizer (no ball or bushing) to bump shoulder back. First off I noticed my bullet seating was more consistent, the accuracy seemed to follow too....within my shooting abilities anyways.

As mentioned, this gives me less run-out (from what I can measure) than the other way. I also found a link somewhere that had a really in-depth study with data, saying to do it in that order if you weren't turning necks.

Thanks Guys...this has really helped me get some more perspective on the matter.

I did not know about the service Forster offers. It sounds like a pretty cost-effective thing to do, just because.

I'm still getting that LCD, and will pick up a body die. I'd like to experiment a little with both approaches.

God Bless the Hide...