• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Indecisive. .260 or .243

lukeyn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2007
Ohio, USA
Hello all, I'm looking to either buy a new barrel or sell my rifle and buy another action to hook up with a barrel.
1. I;ve looked into the pros and cons of both .260rem and .243. THe .243 would be cheaper to shoot and has a high ballistics coefficient. The 260 rem has a high ballistics coefficient and has more knockdown power. But How much more? If I use this rifle to hunt it would probably be mid size game like whitetail/hogs. I would probably also target shoot with it. So which cartridge has the most bang for the buck to reload, all around shooting capabilities (flat shooting, wind bucking), and killing power?

Re: Indecisive. .260 or .243

hands down 260 Also no such thing as too dead.

Lapua makes brass for the .243. 6mm DTAC bullets are great match bullets, nit sure about hunting, though.

James

You'll get differing opinions but, in my OPINION, I would opt for the .260 Remington over .243. I'm a 6.5 whore however so that influences my decision 100%.

I've owned 3 different .260 caliber rifles & currently have a custom that I use for some bench shooting and long range deer/hogs. If you go .260 get a 8 or 8.5 twist barrel as you need those twist rates to stabilize the 140gr+ 6.5 bullets. If you get a high quality barrel accuracy between the two calibers will be a wash. I've handloaded for the .260 for a while now & H4350 or H4831sc seems to be the two powders that performed with the most consistant results for me.

For your applications, I don't see how you could go wrong with the .260.

If I stuck with the .243 I would use 105gn AMAX hornadys to hunt with.

The .243 out performs the .260 on everything regarding ballistics. For "knock down" power you're talking a 140gn bullet @ 2800 fps vs. a 115gn bullet at 3000+ fps. You're not going to see a huge difference and if you hit your mark, it wont make a difference.

The .243 shooting a 115 DTAC is in a league of its own.

I'm shooting a 6mm ackley with a Berger 105grn it may not have as much knock down power a a 260 but has less recoil shoots faster and is cheaper to shoot bullet placement is EVERYTHING unless your shooting an exploading round!

Snipehunter,

Just my 0.02c, but I have a .243, but I just bought a Sako in .243 so that I can re-barrel it in .260.

You are going to need an aftermarket barrel on a .243 to get the high BC bullets to stabilize. I doubt that the factory barrels will stabilize anything above 100grn. MY rifle really does not like Sako 100grn factory ammo. But it will put my 90grn homeloads into 0.25" @100yds. Go figure!

The BIG thing you need to consider is whether you are hunting for meat or trophies. For TROPHY hunting, it really does not matter, go with the .243 and enjoy lots of low recoil practice, because it is BULLET PLACEMENT that kills, <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">NOT</span></span> power or energy.

If you are hunting for meat, I would go with a bigger slower (relatively) bullet because the faster that bullet is travelling when it hits flesh, the more damage it is going to do. Research by the British Deer Society has proven that there is less meat damage (loss) with a .308 than with a .243 (Bigger slower bullet, versus lighter faster bullet).

Of course you can go with premium hunting bullets with controlled expansion (Barnes TSX for eg), and that will reduce the meat loss, but you lose the advantage of cheap 6mm bullets.

My opinion? Hunting for meat, go with the .260.
Hunting for trophies, or shooting targets, go with either.

Whatever you choose, shoot the shit out of it, so that you CAN place the bullet EXACTLY where you want at any distance you are likely to shoot your quarry at.

Remember, it is the damage to critical organs that kills, not energy or power, so bullet placement is your PRIME concern.

That's my 0.02c, FWIW

Neil

Just re-read your OP.

You want to shoot Hogs?

GO LARGE!!!! I'm thinking .45-70, or .300 Win Mag.

Man you want to put those suckers <span style="font-style: italic">DOWN</span>.

Search the hide and you will read a real horror story about a Doctor who shot a hog with a .243 and then walked up to it. He kept his leg, but ONLY JUST.

Maybe Shankster or Shaggyback with their superior search-Fu can privide a linky. (That's why I'm only a Learner).

In that case, unequivocally the .260 with 140grn bullets.

FWIW.

N

I live in ohio so the hog hunt is a future plan. Hell I might have a 7mm by then. I just want an all around accurate rifle that I can target shoot with and maybe take hunting if the oppertunity exists.

One other thing to consider if you plan on shooting it a lot is barrel life. A .260 barrel should give you substantially longer accurate service.

.243 if hunting is in mind on the game you mentioned. If knock down power is what you are after, then I suggest the 338LM. The .243 will kill any deer as well as the .260 if not better.

SPEED KILLS! No one can argue this. (within that close of caliber, but still, it does)

Have both, and love both, but have more .243's.

really its a win win both are great calibers and will both do a great job for what your after.

115 DTAC for target work (or the 105 AMAX for a cheaper alternate)

85 TSX for killing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of twist rate for the 115 dtac ? </div></div>

1:7.5 is ideal. Some will tell you that a 1:8 will work, and others will tell you it wont. Get the 1:7.5 and be certain.

+1 to Mike.

A true 1-8 will work most the time for guys under 2000 ft above sea level, but some guys at higher elevations are reporting issues. Then there's always the issue of it's not a true 1-8 too.

Just go 1-7.5 and have lots of options at any location.

I started loading the 260 with 130 JLKs. I do believe it will outperform the 243. The JLK 130s with a BC of .620 shooting at 2950. It is a flat shooting round with higher BCs. 800 yards the come up is 16 MOAs.
I have a 243 shooting the 115s and I think the 260 is doing a better job. Also better bullet selection with the 260. The only thing is the 130s are very long. I have to single feed them. But I drop 2 moa off of the current load of 139s.

Dar,

With all due respect, the 260 even with the 130's will not out perform the 243. If it is outperforming your 243, then there is an issue. My 243 is 15moa at 800. I don't put much faith in BC's, I look at real world results and there is not a 260 than can hang-at long ranges-with a GAP built 243.

Then on top of it, you need to single feed?? This is not benchrest central. If you can't mag feed, it is useless as a tactical rifle.

Bullet selection? Why do you need a huge bullet selection? You have a target bullet, you have a hunting bullet. Voila! bases covered.

The .260 is a great round, but doesn't keep up with the 243-115 combo.

Mike

How long is your barrel on the 243? I can get 15 with my 30" barrel and 16moa with a 26" barrel.

I do agree with the single feed. Not good. You have a point there.

Dar,

My barrel is 27". I don't know what it would get with a 30". For many of the comps the 27" is slightly long but I'm a tall guy so it doesn't affect me as much.

Me and a friend were thinking about trying some RL-17 as I would bet I could get at least another 150+ fps.

Mike, what are you using now for a load and what kind of speed? I think I'm getting 2975 from 47 gr of RL25 but need to check notes, 26" barrel.

I've got plenty of R17 here, may load some up and run it over the chrono next week at the range.

Jason, I haven't chrono'd the load in so long, I forgot. It's floating around 3K though. I'm shooting 47.5 grains RL-25 with no pressure signs even after rapid fires in the Texas summer. I think the RL-17 could breach to the next accuracy load however I think you would also really decrease barrel life. But on the upside I don't think a sub 6 mil 1K is out of the question. I'm at 6.5 mil @ 1K now.

Also I do load them long but they still feed flawlessly from a AICS mag.

f.w.i.w...
I just ran my .243 115DTAC(molyed) load through the screens in the cold temps (10F) last weekend.
With 41.5gr H4350, I'm getting ~2960 from a 26", 7.5 twist Rock.
Using Fed 210 primed Win brass I picked up on the cheap...
I know there's plenty more pedal left in that barrel, but it's bugholing for me pretty good right now...

Personally, I like the .260, I've owned a couple and I have an GAP AR here that is phenomenal. But the 243 just outshines it. Hands down however if it wasn't for the 243, the 260 would be the next choice.

Go with a 243 Winchester super short mag..reload an you can pass the 4,000 f.p.s. mark.If that`s what you want? But the same accuracy as the 6mm ppc

I think i'll go with the .243. It seems to be the best choice between barrel life, accuracy, and cost of shooting.

What is an ideal barrel length. I am thinking between 24 and 26. I dont want the extra weight of a really long barrel, but I want the speed. What is a good middle of the road selection ?

243 = slightly better ballistic performance
260 = better barrel life and slightly better terminal performance.

I prefer 243 because you will have no problem finding ammo in a bind. Good luck on 260, especially out of the country.

For those of you who are gluttons for wildcat calibers, check out this variant on the 243: http://www.6mmar.com/Super_LR.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snipehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is an ideal barrel length. I am thinking between 24 and 26. I dont want the extra weight of a really long barrel, but I want the speed. What is a good middle of the road selection ? </div></div>

Get a 27" barrel and use a Tubb or similar contour. Weight will not be a factor. Plus, with the longer barrel you will get more barrel life as there is room to bump the chamber as needed. If you start with a 26" or shorter, then you're already behind the curve. An inch of barrel length, especially a smaller contour, is not going to kill you.

I have both and think you will be happy with either. I do have to say though it is much easier to find brass and bullets for the 243.