• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Indian or Harley

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    I got out of scooters years ago before I fucked my self up on one. Sunday I was at a restaurant and a bunch of bikers came in. Most all of them were pretty decked out Harley's, but there was one guy on an Indian. Man, it made the Harley's look and sound kind of anemic. Sweet scooter, I think it was one of these.

1659576552480.png

Friend of mine just bought a Challenger. I haven’t ridden it yet, but from the factory it’s got 122# of torque and 128 ponies.

It’s a nice looking bike for sure.

The windshield is electric and will raise and lower to different heights, which I think is fucking stupid, but to each their own.

I’ve had a Road Glide for about six years. My next bike will be a Harley.

I don’t know what it is, but the Indian just doesn’t have what it takes to change my mind.

I think of it like a cross between a Harley and a Gold Wing.

V Twin powered, but more buttons and gadgets than a space shuttle.

Reactions: Maggot
    I had a Harley. Super easy to work on, other than the engine, I had my hands in everything with no worries if I'm going to mess something up. I also bought a triumph street bike, and was too scared to work on it because it was built like a race car. Way too technical. Both cost about the same. Slightly changed how I feel about Harleys, even though I still love them and would probably buy another, you definitely pay for the name and not the build quality.

Is that because the OEM motor wasn’t worth a shit?

Probably in the era when Indian wasn't building motors.

The new motor looks interesting but strikes me as more for looks than function....unfair comment by me.

My bike is an Evo with a Mikuni, have not run it in ten or more years :(.

Won't sell it because I am so tooled up and it's a technology I can actually work
    on so I have no desire for latest and greatest.

Seeing a shovel these days is cause for a double take. Seems the nice bikes are now in museums.

Reactions: jrassy
    I have an Indian Scout, didn't want a bagger and the Scout is a far superior bike as compared to the sportster.
    Except, of course, the Sporster S, Harley finally came into the late 2th century and built a sporster with liquid cooling and an awesome power plant.
    Quite a bit more expensive than the Scout.

I have ridden for over 40 years, I am a motorcyclist NOT a biker and NOT a squid. Both bikers and squids live to give motorcycles a bad name, one will do 40mph in the fast lane on the highway and the other will do 140 in between traffic on the highway. One is dressed up like a pirate, the other in flip flops shorts and a t-shirt blown halfway up his back, he might have a very young girl on the back with very little clothes, ass cheeks hanging out is a bonus.

Me? I am one of those old farts that looks like a rolling traffic cone, and while my stereotype is going to Starbucks and not the bar, I can live with that. My bike is a machine to be ridden more then it is washed. It always looks like this because it is ridden, call it the bug masher 2017.

Generally I will hose it off before winter, or when the lights have issues because of too many bugs.

All those lights and crash bars....really you might say, yea really, my last bike, a Versys was attacked without warning by a deer, ever knocked off one of these murdercycles by a deer....it aint fun. The old bike did not take a hard hit, but it must have landed in such a way that the case got cracked....totaled, I don't want that to happen again if I can help it. All those stupid lights, well yea, and use them every day. You see in the country it is very dark, there are no street lights, and those lights really do blast the edges of the road where the forest rats like to hide, as well as other smaller critters, and the other set fills out the high beam. Going to work at 4am it is a bit dark and I want every chance I can get to see the little fuzzies.

1659614879952.png

1659614905311.png

1659614928644.png

My late friend Courtney and the Piney River 'Rat Bike'.

rat1.jpg

Is that because the OEM motor wasn’t worth a shit?
    Pmclaine is correct. When Indians were reintroduced, they had not finished their engine manufacturing plant as yet and were sold with S&S engines. I sold my bike and haven't ridden in 27 years.
    Or do you refer to my AMF Harley? That really wasn't worth a shit.

Reactions: SmileMaker
    Then you're guessing wrong. I had a '78 low rider. Hated that bike.
    Using POS AMF as your baseline is understandable, current production is a lot better. Other than wheel bearings and normal maintenance I haven’t had any issues with either of mine.

Using POS AMF as your baseline is understandable, current production is a lot better. Other than wheel bearings and normal maintenance I haven’t had any issues with either of mine.

Wheel bearings are an issue on HD? Never knew that. My dual sport spent more time in the water then the street and it lasted as long as the chain.

I think things like the AMF bikes are beginning to be "worth something" again. Yes they are not that good, but they are old enough that people look to them. Same thing in the guitar world CBS Fenders are going up in value.

Wheel bearings are an issue on HD? Never knew that. My dual sport spent more time in the water then the street and it lasted as long as the chain.
    Yes, seems like they have a lifespan of around 20,000 miles...although my Street Glide started getting a "hum" in the front wheel while going through the twisties, and it only has ~14k on the clock. $12 in parts to replace a set in each wheel.

A few weeks ago I saw two guys riding as a group. They were refueling at the gas station I stopped at. One had a Triumph America and the other had a nice Indian (one of the models with the headdress). I talked to them, briefly. It was refreshing to see something less common.

Made me miss my old Triumph, though:
    03955ECF-CB62-4EF2-B32E-F8649B6D556B.jpeg

Reactions: jrassy and BLEE
    Pmclaine is correct. When Indians were reintroduced, they had not finished their engine manufacturing plant as yet and were sold with S&S engines. I sold my bike and haven't ridden in 27 years.
    Or do you refer to my AMF Harley? That really wasn't worth a shit.
    You’re comparing bowling ball returns to motorcycles!

AMF bikes weren’t worth a fuck!

You’re comparing bowling ball returns to motorcycles!

AMF bikes weren’t worth a fuck!
    You're telling me. That bike tried to kill me.
    Right at the apex in a left hand turn in a very busy intersection with cars in front, back and to the side of me, the crankcase decided to let go and dump all oil like it had Taco Bell diarrhea. Took everything I had not to spill in the street when that oil hit the rear tire.
    Sold it to a biker right after that and bought a Suzuki.

Yes, seems like they have a lifespan of around 20,000 miles...although my Street Glide started getting a "hum" in the front wheel while going through the twisties, and it only has ~14k on the clock. $12 in parts to replace a set in each wheel.

To side track the motorcycle thread a tick....

I think everyone that rides should know basic how everything works, and just what is an OK noise and what is not. You don't "have" to do the work yourself, but you should know what it takes to do the work.

Me I am getting up there, and I just don't want to "have" to work on stuff, I will when I want to and if I want to, I am to the age where I can just "write a check". I will do the real "easy" things. Chains, sprockets, thinks like wheel bearings, but much deeper then that no I will pass. I will still do the oil on a bike, but not on cars....and I have a twin post lift in my shop.....a shop with AC....I don't want to "have" to again.

The wifes bike, an XT225 needs forks rebuilt, can I do it, sure done it before.....do I want to do it, no not really, it is a bit of money, but I really don't want to fool with it all. Does it make any sense, hell no, this is currently in my shop now, and the engine on my bench being rebuilt.

1659698036441.png

Is that a shit ton more work....sure it is, but I don't rely on a TS100 for anything, it is just a toy....I do look forward to riding it to work one day, so it has to be finished sometime in the next two years and ten months.....I might have it done.

Reactions: BLEE and Cowpokey
    If I was in the market for a new cruiser, out of the 2 it would most likely be an Indian.

A couple of years ago I went & test rode both & the Indian was a better fit & feel.

Nice! Or be different(er) on a flat-twin Beemer:

View attachment 7926814

My son and I when we were stationed in Germany…2011 or so. Yes, space suit required when motorrading in der Fatherland!

I always knew the germans are smart....well about some things, this is one of them. The ground is harder then you are.

Reactions: 91Eunozs
    You're telling me. That bike tried to kill me.
    Right at the apex in a left hand turn in a very busy intersection with cars in front, back and to the side of me, the crankcase decided to let go and dump all oil like it had Taco Bell diarrhea. Took everything I had not to spill in the street when that oil hit the rear tire.
    Sold it to a biker right after that and bought a Suzuki.
    Thats the thing about Rice Rockets, just change the oil and ride. Like Jap cars they're reliable.

I have ridden for over 40 years, I am a motorcyclist NOT a biker and NOT a squid. Both bikers and squids live to give motorcycles a bad name, one will do 40mph in the fast lane on the highway and the other will do 140 in between traffic on the highway. One is dressed up like a pirate, the other in flip flops shorts and a t-shirt blown halfway up his back, he might have a very young girl on the back with very little clothes, ass cheeks hanging out is a bonus.

Me? I am one of those old farts that looks like a rolling traffic cone, and while my stereotype is going to Starbucks and not the bar, I can live with that. My bike is a machine to be ridden more then it is washed. It always looks like this because it is ridden, call it the bug masher 2017.

Generally I will hose it off before winter, or when the lights have issues because of too many bugs.

All those lights and crash bars....really you might say, yea really, my last bike, a Versys was attacked without warning by a deer, ever knocked off one of these murdercycles by a deer....it aint fun. The old bike did not take a hard hit, but it must have landed in such a way that the case got cracked....totaled, I don't want that to happen again if I can help it. All those stupid lights, well yea, and use them every day. You see in the country it is very dark, there are no street lights, and those lights really do blast the edges of the road where the forest rats like to hide, as well as other smaller critters, and the other set fills out the high beam. Going to work at 4am it is a bit dark and I want every chance I can get to see the little fuzzies.

View attachment 7926245
    View attachment 7926246
    View attachment 7926247

That an African twin?

View attachment 7926245
    View attachment 7926246
    View attachment 7926247
    I sold my XR650L to pay off my divorce lawyer (worth EVERY penny), my next bike will be a Twin. My brothers are all Harley guys and talk a lot of shit until they see the pics of the places I ride. I have been known to call them chrome queens and pavement pussies 😎

I sold my XR650L to pay off my divorce lawyer (worth EVERY penny), my next bike will be a Twin. My brothers are all Harley guys and talk a lot of shit until they see the pics of the places I ride. I have been known to call them chrome queens and pavement pussies 😎

I really enjoy this bike, my issue is I live in the country and gravel is a big part of my ride to work every day....and anytime I go anywhere. But after I hit pavement it is all that for the rest of the way.
    The old bike a 650 Versys was the best light weight road bike I have had, it was so smooth on the highway, enough power to be fast, but not stupid, triple digits happen in the blink of an eye....but it hated the gravel, I never lost that pucker factor. Add to that a great deal of the roads I ride on before I hit a county lettered highway are chip n' seal, those are the greatest, so bumps, missing chunks are pretty common, the Versys was a bit stiff for all that, if I make it softer I loose that road feel I like....so I was stuck. The versys was ambushed by a deer, and I got this.

This thing takes the gravel and crappy county roads just fine, and will hum down the highway at 80 no a care in the world. It is smooth on the highway something my old DR650 was not, big singles are buzzy on the highway, it is just the way a thumper is.

Mine is a 2017 Africa Twin, I got it pre covid as a left over for 10k out the door, I was looking very hard at Tiger 800 as well, but that was 6k over the honda....it was not 6k more bike. I had the hots for the AT from before it was launched, at one time I was pretty active over on ADVrider, and was sold on the hype and wanted the tri color that did not come in on the first year.

If you get a chance to ride one, you will like it, they are big bikes, but carry the weight well and even being shorter and small 5'7" 150lbs, I can manage the bike just fine.

I don't particularly care for the Indian's fenders. Otherwise, they're very nice bikes, but I suspect that you'll eventually run into the same problems as owning a Suzuki or Daihatsu car---not much of an aftermarket, and no place to get parts except a dealership. I'll stick with my Harleys.

Bridgett and Desiree 2.jpgBridgett and Desiree.jpg
    Desiree front.jpg

I don't particularly care for the Indian's fenders. Otherwise, they're very nice bikes, but I suspect that you'll eventually run into the same problems as owning a Suzuki or Daihatsu car---not much of an aftermarket, and no place to get parts except a dealership. I'll stick with my Harleys.

View attachment 7927026View attachment 7927027View attachment 7927028
    What kind of aftermarket parts are you talking about?
    The great thing about the Indian, is that it is a good bike from the factory.
    No need to fix it.
    There are plenty of exhausts, seats, bags, bars, sissy bars, new headlights etc... available though.

What kind of aftermarket parts are you talking about?
    The great thing about the Indian, is that it is a good bike from the factory.
    No need to fix it.
    There are plenty of exhausts, seats, bags, bars, sissy bars, new headlights etc... available though.

Electronics, switches, wiring harnesses, engine sensors, headlight housings, fenders, fuel pumps, saddle bags.

I 100% agree that Indian makes a great cycle and most are priced better than Harley....but there aren't nearly as many on the road and as parts change, old stock dries up.....and we're still talking about a machine. Machines break.

I don't own an Indian, so I may be talking through my ass regarding parts availability......but I've owned 'unique' car models before (Alfa Romeo and Peugot while overseas) Finding parts was always a bitch and I don't want to do that again if I don't have to.

Either one for me. I prefer the styling of Harley-Davidson motorcycles but any air-cooled American motorcycle is fine with me. Wouldn't be caught dead on a bike with a radiator or reverse.

Electronics, switches, wiring harnesses, engine sensors, headlight housings, fenders, fuel pumps, saddle bags.

I 100% agree that Indian makes a great cycle and most are priced better than Harley....but there aren't nearly as many on the road and as parts change, old stock dries up.....and we're still talking about a machine. Machines break.

I don't own an Indian, so I may be talking through my ass regarding parts availability......but I've owned 'unique' car models before (Alfa Romeo and Peugot while overseas) Finding parts was always a bitch and I don't want to do that again if I don't have to.
    Just busting your chops.
    I don't particulary care for HD, but to each their own. The only ones I would ever consider owning are one of the V rod variants and the new Sporster S, who the fuck intentionally buys an sir cooled motorcycle?
    FWIW, Victory cycles share some of parts with Indian, though I wouldn't bank on it.
    We'll see how it turns out, I don't care for all of the Indian bikes either, but my Scout is a good ride, for what it is. I'll never take a long trip on it.

Just busting your chops.
    I don't particulary care for HD, but to each their own. The only ones I would ever consider owning are one of the V rod variants and the new Sporster S, who the fuck intentionally buys an sir cooled motorcycle?
    FWIW, Victory cycles share some of parts with Indian, though I wouldn't bank on it.
    We'll see how it turns out, I don't care for all of the Indian bikes either, but my Scout is a good ride, for what it is. I'll never take a long trip on it.

Americans buy air cooled motorcycles, just like we buy and field direct impingement rifles. Simple and strong has been the American way for centuries. It's the same reason we still buy and use OHV V8s while the world scoffs at us and buys electric cars. Outside of a race course, there is no reason a radiator should ever be on a motorcycle.

The Indian engine is an all new design (not a rebadged Victory). What parts do you think the motorcycles share? I am glad Victory motorcycles are no more, boy were those some ugly ass motorcycles.

• Sad
    Reactions: thejeep
    Americans buy air cooled motorcycles, just like we buy and field direct impingement rifles. Simple and strong has been the American way for centuries. It's the same reason we still buy and use OHV V8s while the world scoffs at us and buys electric cars. Outside of a race course, there is no reason a radiator should ever be on a motorcycle.

The Indian engine is an all new design (not a rebadged Victory). What parts do you think the motorcycles share? I am glad Victory motorcycles are no more, boy were those some ugly ass motorcycles.
    99F1BAFD-A15D-4132-A2E1-B83A578170E2.jpeg

Carry on.

Edit. One of mine is air cooled, but it’s sohc cam.

Last edited:
    Either one for me. I prefer the styling of Harley-Davidson motorcycles but any air-cooled American motorcycle is fine with me. Wouldn't be caught dead on a bike with a radiator or reverse.
    No new Harley for you than….

not all, BTW your Crazy if you think motorcycle should‘nt have a radiator 215 hp at 443lbs😎
    A05C20FE-5225-48A7-8997-F63E3F06A801.png

Reactions: thejeep
    Definitely seeing a lot more Indians on the road now. I own a harley and have ridden an Indian. You get more for your dollar off the showroom floor with the Indian, but there are some differences that may sway you one way or another. Indians seem to be pretty trouble free. Don't think I would buy a brand new harley now but I am happy with my older streetglide. Buy and ride what you want. It's your money.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1657672935305.jpg
      FB_IMG_1657672935305.jpg
      144.6 KB · Views: 34
    Reactions: RUTGERS95