• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Indoor dryfire training system

I’ve purchased both generations of the DFAT and love em for training. As far as customer service, the dude who makes em is solid and responsive.

For how well they’re made, what you’re getting, and the fact that you’re supporting the small business owners who are making products for fellow shooters, it’s worth it to buy rather than make your own.

I’ve purchased both generations of the DFAT and love em for training. As far as customer service, the dude who makes em is solid and responsive.

For how well they’re made, what you’re getting, and the fact that you’re supporting the small business owners who are making products for fellow shooters, it’s worth it to buy rather than make your own.
I ordered one yesterday Should have made this post before hand but you just made me feel pretty confident about this being a good pass time for training

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Yea dude you’ll be happy with it. The targets are pretty great too. I have some up in the garage and I have the full pack saved on the laptop if I need a backlit target.

Another thing to checkout is the PPT (not a DST product) that’s floating around the forum here. It has moving targets, bobbers, and stationary timed targets that run on an automated PPT. It’s free and worth incorporating. If you can’t find it I’ll see if I can remember to send it to ya tomorrow (or just shoot me a message about it) lol.

I would suggest getting the gen 2 that has a lens because it will do better with focus and needed light.

I was thinking of getting a DFAT, seems to be the way to go?

The 6.5 guys on youtube has a download of a range with movers & timed exposure, and other mix of targets. It's a fun & free way to mix it up. If I recall it's linked to their dry fire practice video.

The 6.5 guys on youtube has a download of a range with movers & timed exposure, and other mix of targets. It's a fun & free way to mix it up. If I recall it's linked to their dry fire practice video.

Yup that’s who it was. Forgot who posted the IOTA Trainer PPT.

I was thinking of getting a DFAT, seems to be the way to go?

Yup, unless you have the means to dry fire anytime outdoors.

That doesn't work

I too tried to make my own just too see if I liked it and it was useful before I dropped the coin for the real deal, but I couldn’t get mine to work either. I didn’t try all that hard to make it work after the initial attempt so I can’t say for sure it would NEVER work, but it isn’t quite as easy as it sounds/seems so if you are pretty sure it’s something you want just buy one, don’t bother trying to make one yourself. The added benefit of buying is supporting American companies who support and are a part of the shooting community.

I too tried to make my own just too see if I liked it and it was useful before I dropped the coin for the real deal, but I couldn’t get mine to work either. I didn’t try all that hard to make it work after the initial attempt so I can’t say for sure it would NEVER work, but it isn’t quite as easy as it sounds/seems.
I triedvvery hard. I made at least 15 different sizes. I used a cutting compas to ensure the hole was opticly centred. It doesn't work. It needs an optical lenses to work

I triedvvery hard. I made at least 15 different sizes. I used a cutting compas to ensure the hole was opticly centred. It doesn't work. It needs an optical lenses to work

Well then I am glad I didn’t try too hard! Thanks for your input.

If you have multiple scopes of different sizes, look at buying the smaller mm unit and then the adapters to use on the larger scopes. Saves buying multiple units.

Now what would be real awesome is to have a projector, laser on gun and utilize simulated distances also. You put your caliber and dope in the game, so you see target, it measures true in reticle for distance, and has ability to measure around Target to ensure you have dialed or hold up and or over to match the dope input you put in. Hmmmmmmm

Reactions: Stoweit
Are there any new products out there related to dry fire training? I'm looking to pick one of these up. Are there any real differences between IOTA, DFAT, and IDTS options? They all seem similar to me, except IDTS has the retractable roll up banner...

I purchased this kit, and I cannot get my scope adapter to give me good focus on anything above 8x or so. Tried multiple distances, anyone have experience with this setup?

When you say you have tried multiple distances how far apart have you tried? Supposedly depending on your scope and it’s parralax etc. the window you have to be in can be pretty damn small. So if you go from 11ft to 12ft you might be going from too close to work and then too far to work in that 1ft. Also, are you measuring the distance from the target to your objective lens? Cause the measurement is taken from the objective lens and not to your eye. I would say try moving back and forth in like 1-2” increments and make sure you have TONS of light shining on the target.

o bought one and it works great. Which there was some more feedback but I am not spending 1000s on a system.

I bought one. found that using an ipad to display the ranges off the web page worked great as they are lit. It was too dark in the room I attempted, without adding additional light sources. The iPad was easy and worked well.

As for the distance, I was closer than I thought. I started at about 12-13 feet. Ended up moving up little by little (got to about 11 feet) and then played with the distance/focus to dial it in to get a clear picture.

The DFAT is a excellent training aide and days like today where it is -5 outside you can still practice. plus Troy has lots of downloads on his site for photos ,, I hightly recommend it. and Troy is a avid PRS shooter and a good dude to chat with, DST Precision or Bullet Central will treat you right

Reactions: kriller134
I bought a gen 2 dfat from a member here and it’s the best money I’ve spent. My wobble zone has shrunk in half. I’ve been using a shot timer to try and get into a standing position on a latter and get a shot off in 15 seconds. Can’t say enough good things about it.

I bought a gen 2 dfat from a member here and it’s the best money I’ve spent. My wobble zone has shrunk in half. I’ve been using a shot timer to try and get into a standing position on a latter and get a shot off in 15 seconds. Can’t say enough good things about it.
That's awesome! I'm glad you mentioned the gen 2 version. I didn't realize there was a gen 2. I had only seen the gen 1 on the Bullet Central website. Good to know. Thanks!

That's awesome! I'm glad you mentioned the gen 2 version. I didn't realize there was a gen 2. I had only seen the gen 1 on the Bullet Central website. Good to know. Thanks!
No worries. The gen 2 is so much nicer since it threads into the scope.

No worries. The gen 2 is so much nicer since it threads into the scope.
Yeah, I think I'm going to get the gen 2. Might as well. With the threaded option you'll be able to use it with a lot of different scopes. If you get the 55m DFAT lens, then for $10 you can buy the adapter rings for whatever size you need. If I upgrade my scope down the road and the DFAT doesn't fit my new scope it'll only be $10 for an adapter ring instead of having to buy a whole new DFAT lens. Plus the gen 2 is supposed to have better glass in the lens and comes with a target pack. ?‍♂️ I'm not sure the better glass really matters that much unless it reduces the amount of light needed to see the targets indoors. If so, that is a nice add as that seemed to be a comment with the gen 1. Anyways, I'll give it a try. Thanks guys! (y)

Yeah, I think I'm going to get the gen 2. Might as well. With the threaded option you'll be able to use it with a lot of different scopes. If you get the 55m DFAT lens, then for $10 you can buy the adapter rings for whatever size you need. If I upgrade my scope down the road and the DFAT doesn't fit my new scope it'll only be $10 for an adapter ring instead of having to buy a whole new DFAT lens. Plus the gen 2 is supposed to have better glass in the lens and comes with a target pack. ?‍♂️ I'm not sure the better glass really matters that much unless it reduces the amount of light needed to see the targets indoors. If so, that is a nice add as that seemed to be a comment with the gen 1. Anyways, I'll give it a try. Thanks guys! (y)
Nice. That's what I just did. 55DFAT HD with 58mm adapter for Minox. Need to figure out which adapter do I need for my Trijicon so I can get that too.

Nice. That's what I just did. 55DFAT HD with 58mm adapter for Minox. Need to figure out which adapter do I need for my Trijicon so I can get that too.
Nice! (y) Yeah, seems like the way to go. I have to do the same and measure my Ares ETR. I guess it has different specs than the Cronus.

Reactions: LA260
Nice! (y) Yeah, seems like the way to go. I have to do the same and measure my Ares ETR. I guess it has different specs than the Cronus.
yeah the cronus and razor use the same one but the etr is smaller Troy was working on a adapter . otherwise he included some felt you can put insie of it to adapt ot over the lens. any questins i can take pictures i have the 62mm gen 2 razor and etr

You actually install it backward. It still works the same

Attachments

• 15792073032854903502705415916261.jpg
    15792073032854903502705415916261.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 209
  • 15792073331909182807615661920940.jpg
    15792073331909182807615661920940.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 271
Reactions: TheUnconquered
Seems like it could be a good training platform for hunting as well.

Would be awesome if there were a similar set of pictures/PowerPoint/videos for hunters to practice shot placement.

Seems like it could be a good training platform for hunting as well.

Would be awesome if there were a similar set of pictures/PowerPoint/videos for hunters to practice shot placement.
They have a bunch of different high-resolution target/range packages they sell. Looks like they do have a hunting pack as well.

Check out the website DST Precision

Anybody looking for targets,I made a thread in the DIY section that explains how to print your own/ make your own "to scale" targets on Microsoft Excel. Math is all the same so you can even draw your own if you measure it with a set of calipers.

Also 65Guys did a fantastic PowerPoint that has movers, poppers and scenarios you can play. I used it on my phone with good success turning the backlight up all the way.

The PowerPoint download is right below the picture of the targets ( above the video )

Reactions: TheUnconquered
They have a bunch of different high-resolution target/range packages they sell. Looks like they do have a hunting pack as well.

Check out the website DST Precision

Thanks I hadn't noticed they added a hunting one. I'll have to take a look!

Received my order today and this thing is nice! I knew that based on reviews it's a good product but I didn't expect it to work this good! From about 11ft to 15ft it works perfectly with 12&13ft being the sweet spot. You might have to play around with parallax at 25x when moving from 11 to 14 or 15 but at 20x it works without touching the parallax (ZP5). It's fun putting random props together and dryfiring at targets that look and feel really close to the real deal.
IMG_20200127_194614802.jpgIMG_20200127_204011747.jpgIMG_20200127_204221982.jpg

It took me a few times shooting the DFAT to realize only the target needs to be well lit to be able to get a clear picture; the lighting in the remainder of the room is not of much consequence. A simple light source projecting light directly on the target is sufficient to to work in a dim lit room.

I just ordered me one I hope it comes in quick. It will give something to do while all this covid stuff is going on.

Man this thing is cool. Got it in today. I can get some practice in while I work from home.

For pistol, I’ve been using iTarget Pro and Mantis X, which provides feedback via an iPhone app. Does any of these provide any sort of feedback or is it just used to practice holders?