• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Induction Annealer Project,

Sean the Nailer

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 20, 2006
    Winnipeg, Mb.
    For annealing, as has been touted over the years, there's the:

Flame - be-it cordless drill or automated machine
    Hot Salt - by hand and contestable as I understand it so far,
    Induction - sorta-automated (semi-auto???) and well over a grand in cost, to start.

But with all these 'induction cookers/hotplates' that we're seeing in the shops for around $100-200.00.... has anyone taken one apart and adapted it to 'our' needs?

Just an idea I've been bouncing around, and wondering if I was the only one. As a hobby and as a project, I could see doing this. But seeing as I'm not a professional annealerologist, I just can't dish-out that kinda scratch for a commercial unit, at the moment.

I made one of these. It works pretty well. Fairly easy to do, even if you're not mechanically inclined.

!

Love my AMP!
    I've heard nothing bad about them at all, and I'm not knocking the product. They're priced right up there with Prometheus though, and they too are out of my realm of possibility. Hence the topic quest.

We have real winters here, and I'm trying to 'avoid' having more flames in the house. Hence the induction train of thought. And with these 'low-cost' cookers that are out there, it just got me to thinking of putting something together. And I wondered whether anyone else here has, as well.

Or am I leading this one-man parade/tirade/revolution? ;)

I started to go down the path of building my own. I have everything needed but a case. For me it was a project that kept getting bigger as I wanted to automate it using a rasperry pi. I gave up after figuring out that the supports inside the case were going to take me weeks to mill. So now I have about $500 in parts that I will never use, and an AMP :)

Reactions: Cicero
    I have about $100 in mine...

It's an induction annealer. Put the components into a 50 cal can.

Thread on here, I followed this build list.

20200309_165930.jpg