• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

inexpensive comms (baofeng)

Baofeng or not, , this conversation is about 2 meter/70 CM radios, strictly local stuff. These handhelds are limited to line of sight, and use of a repeater to obtain further comms. A license is also required, and even if the SHTF, the first people to return to a "norm" standard are going to be radio operators doing emergency comms.
Depending on 2 meter/70CM for emergency comms works for weather reporting nets, and other events, locally those nets are all people known to each other, so one is best served by joining the local club, and getting active on the weekly practice nets. If you plan to use them for family coms, get GMRS, and a family license. That is a simple no-test purchase. Leave the Ham bands to the licensed technicians and higher levels.
if you wish to communicate cross country, you are then talking about HF, and no longer using a walkie-talkie. Even portable HF rigs require significant amp/hours to run for limited duration. Solar panels, 12 volt battery, longer antenna, some set up time every time you want to transmit.
Instead of a Baofeng, save your 20-150 dollars for ammo.

I would argue that most of the folks here are looking for a radio setup that they can use to talk with another person or two in whatever SHTF/training scenario they can imagine. While tradition HAM bands and radios are great, the average person that may show up to a group is unlikely to have the radio or the quals to join the others so a "catch all" approach is of general interest. Most of the higher-end radios do not have the frequency range to be able to Rx/Tx with even the cheapest of other HT radios. Ideally, you want the extended frequency ranges of these cheaper radios with the ruggedness of the more expensive HAM/Marine radios. I have several (ICOM, Yaesu, Standard Horizon, and B-Tech) and each one serves a purpose. My cheap B-Tech has a Rx/Tx range of 144-148Mhz, 222-225Mhz, and 420-450Mhz. Now if a good radio manufacturer could put these frequency ranges (even add some 500Mhz ability) into a rugged water-proof package, they would sell a ton of them.

MURS (Multi-Use-Radio-Service) is VHF, in the 151 – 154 MHz spectrum range. Properly reprogrammed marine-band radios (marine band is also VHF) are perfect for this application, although not letter-of-the-law legal (Part 90 type accepted in the case of the one I recommended, rather than the required Part 95). It is correct that marine band radios transmitting on marine frequencies while on land is highly illegal.

The FRS bubble-pack radios (Family Radio Service) referenced above are going to be UHF and will operate in the 462.xxx - 467.xxx frequency range, overlapping with GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service). FRS does not require licensing, GMRS requires a $70 license that will cover your whole family; no test is required for GMRS.

FWIW a VHF signal will "bend" a little better over hilly terrain than will UHF. The trade-off is that you are limited to 2 watts transmit power with MURS, while GMRS will allow up to 50 watts for a base or mobile. Most handies used for GMRS will be 5 watt.

This looks interesting:

If it does all that it claims, these are going to be a viable option. The GOPRO of personal field communication devices.

Features:
Mesh Network, claim 600 meter range per node. See frequency note below. No limit stated on range of mesh network but presumably several miles. Every user becomes a radio repeater.
Rated for limited water exposure to include salt water. Its rated IP67 which is odd since they are marketing for Skiing and surfing.
Can connect to headset via usb-c port and recharge via the same.
8+ hours of charge per use
Mild encryption. I can't find the level, but it appears tied to its interference avoidance software. Get enough people together and this becomes increasingly difficult to jam.
Frequency range is 2,400 to 2,483.5 Mhz. Some vague mention of sub MHZ. This is the same as wireless routers. As this is the case, I can't help but wonder if you tied one to a tall location if you'd extend the range of the network.
No record of your usage. Its all local traffic.

Downsides:
Cost of $250.00 USD per Node
Constant active transmission can give away your location in non-urban environment. (If this is a real concern you should have stuck with the slash wire.)
Telling people you are rocking the Miloberry Red color scheme. (Spray paint)
Durability (Buy a protective case)

W54/XM-388 did you pick a couple of these up in the Kickstarter phase? I will be curious to hear any reviews after it launches.