• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Inexpensive long range targets

dirt

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2011
I am just starting out in this sport and targets seem to be costly. I have purchased 5 targets that work well to 500 yards and have ordered a couple of more for further distances. I came accross a mature country black smith and he said try a plow disk. My first thoughts were colinder here we come. He had 2- 24 inch 3/16 one-way plow disks. I shot them at 7-8-9 hundred. not even a scratch, ding, dent ar any other sign off weakness. These new are under $50 and going by a large farm an asking if they have used ones you may find them really enexpensive.

Re: Inexpensive long range targets

Very nice. I have had good luck with the heavy steel parts of dozer tracks, old steel flywheels. Split fire wood works well too lol.

Wideners has some pretty affordable cut and hole steel targets if you are feeling fancy though.

Never tried the plow parts. thanks for the heads up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dirt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am just starting out in this sport and targets seem to be costly. I have purchased 5 targets that work well to 500 yards and have ordered a couple of more for further distances. I came accross a mature country black smith and he said try a plow disk. My first thoughts were colinder here we come. He had 2- 24 inch 3/16 one-way plow disks. I shot them at 7-8-9 hundred. not even a scratch, ding, dent ar any other sign off weakness. These new are under $50 and going by a large farm an asking if they have used ones you may find them really enexpensive. </div></div>

Tractor counter balance weights...

Went to a metal scrap yard and got spare pieces of steel. Also went to a machine shop and got free scrap pieces and made some "gongs" for longer distances. 1/4 hasnt showed any sign of weakness from my .308 at 500 yds!

I shot two 1/4 inch cold steel targets at 700 and 800yds. Would not recomend cold steel. SMK 142 banged it up pretty bad. Heavy plow disks no problem. If you get some worn out disks you can take them to a shop that has a plasma torch and get them cut to any size you want. I don't know how it works but it cuts them like butter and there is very little heat. You cantouch it in about a minute after it is cut.