• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Inexpensive Military Sniper Rifle

JesseBB

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2009
Lincoln, CA 95648
One of the best buys on the market is a Swiss K31. Most of the barrels will be in excellent condition. The Stock maybe beat up but can be re-finished at home. Swiss Products sells a side bolt on scope mount, and a muzzel brake. The rifle is chambered in 7.5X55 but the bullet is 30 caliber. 168 and 175 grain bullets are deadly out to 600 plus yards after tuneing up the rifle. Great knock down power on steel targets.

Re: Inexpensive Military Sniper Rifle

JesseBB,

Those rifles are deadly accurate as far as the sights say they do.

For best long range results the GP-11 match is what to use. For best overall accuracy, I use either 168 SMK or Nosler CC's. And Sierra 175's. I also use 175 gr. FMJ M118 bullets when I can get them.

That might be an 'inexpensive' rifle to get set up, but you'd better check the price of the various components (ie...brass), before jumping on that platform. These rifles are supposed to be well-known for their accuracy, but you will need to reload for it, AND that can be quite costly, from the research I've looked at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1kHIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That might be an 'inexpensive' rifle to get set up, but you'd better check the price of the various components (ie...brass), before jumping on that platform. These rifles are supposed to be well-known for their accuracy, but you will need to reload for it, AND that can be quite costly, from the research I've looked at.</div></div>

Actually, you can get GP-11 from Graf's and Wideners usually for about $.50 a round. A little cheaper if you buy a big lot of it.

I think reloading is definitely the best way to go with the rifle if you shoot a lot with it. Graf's has brass at a relatively inexpensive price. And, it's decent brass. It's lasted me as many as 12 reloadings on some of it. The big key is to get the right sizing die. Redding makes a sizing die correct for the dimensions of the K31 chamber, which is bigger than standard 7.5x55 of previous rifles. They are all meant to take GP-11 ammunition (or 7.5x55 brass), just that the chamber is larger by .015" @ the shoulder. The idea being it will still shoot when mud or debris gets in there. The Redding die is #91235.

You could do a lot worse for a starter. I'm no wizard long ranger but I get some very good results with this rig and no scope needed.

75953293.jpg

...MJ...

[img:left]
K315shots500meters.png
[/img]

Here is a 5 shot group at 500 meters i fired with my scoped K31.The black thing to the right is my wallet .Group was 2 inches wide and 2 1/2 inches tall .Arnie

Great shooting! The K-11 and K-31's are great shooters. I've only shot out to 225 yards, but have had excellent results with the Swiss GP-11 ammo. SAMCO has the GP-11 in stock.

mine holds about a minute with thrown together reloads. dumped powder with no weighing and 175 or 168 nosler or smk. would love to get a set of the competition sights but they are proud of them. more than i paid for either rifle. might have to get the redding die and get serious about reloaing for it and see what it can really do on the scoped one.

Another great thing about the K-31s is that they are lefty friendly!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1kHIT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That might be an 'inexpensive' rifle to get set up, but you'd better check the price of the various components (ie...brass), before jumping on that platform. These rifles are supposed to be well-known for their accuracy, but you will need to reload for it, AND that can be quite costly, from the research I've looked at. </div></div>

Brass is necked up Winchester 284. Finding it is more of a problem than cost.

Can't go wrong with a K-31. There's about 3 or 4 sitting at my local gander mountain that I've been mulling over for a while. Maybe it's about time I pick one up.