• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Inexpensive stock options similar to Manners T2

rjacobs

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 10, 2013
    I am in the planning/research phase to build up a 16.5" 300BLK Rem 700 I just picked up on sale at Walmart. This gun will shoot mostly subsonics and be a range toy/demo gun so I wouldnt consider it hard use. It may see a couple of days of hunting, but our gun season for deer in Missouri is so short that with my day job I rarely have time to go. The crap hogue stock has to go as my experience with them is terrible(terrible cheek weld and flexy as all get out).

I dont want to spend a TON of money on this build considering its use. I've got plenty of money in other guns and I understand what it costs to do a full house build, but I dont think this gun warrants it, nor do I want to invest 1500-2000 bucks into this gun.

I am contemplating a Manners T2 with inlet for M5 bottom metal and going with the PTG Stealth DBM metal. But I keep choking on the 750-800 price tag for a $500 gun(not to mention the $800-900 for scope rail, rings and scope).

I have been looking at McMillan A3 with PTG M5 and B&C Medalist with Wyatt's A4 DBM. The McMillan is almost the same price as the Manners(750-800) and the B&C would be in the $525 area. HS Precision(PST035, PST014, PST008, PST0012) has a few that look like they might work at around the $350 price point(plus $300 for their DBM metal) putting me in the $650 area. I have also been looking at the XLR Element chassis, but not sure I want another chassis(I have a Rem 700 .308 in a Rock Solid chassis already). Those are in the $600-625 area depending on which butt stock.

Any other options that might be "cheaper" and get me into a similar stock? I have been trolling the used stuff, but not seeing much thats a "deal" to get me into what I think I want.

You'd be cheaper off not using a DBM, a standard HS or B&C, or heck a good laminate will be more cost efficient if you can just use the factory floorplate. Then you can subtract that additional cost and buy a take off PSS stock on here for about $250 or so.

I like my B&C Tatical Medalist 5 , can't beat the value I payed about $445 shipped. No they are not the best, but they are an excellent fitting mid range chassis. I had to do some free float sanding to get mine perfect, and I had to open up the bolt relief slot to allow my bolt to completely lock. I spent my extra money on good glass, an Atlas bipod, and a sweet creedmore shooting mat rather than DBM which IMO for most recreational non competitive shooters is wallet bait. Me, i'm a patient , single shot loader.

Last edited:
    You'd be cheaper off not using a DBM

I think thats where my mental block is. I REALLY want to use a DBM setup. I dont know why except that every one of my guns(save for my shotguns) is box mag fed.

Just think, will you use the magazine system to its price potential, meaning, the $300 dollars you pay for a DBM, plus extra mags, is it worth it.

For instance, I would LOVE a USO ST-10 on my next year's rifle build, but I can do 95% of my shooting with a SS 10x42 or 10x42m. Doing this I will save about $1,000 which can go to other needed things, like reloading supplies and gas money to go and become a better shot by using my rifle. The USO might happen one day, but for now, anything I need to do, target shooting wise, can be accomplised with the $400 SS 10x42M.

But regardless, have fun and shoot straight!

Inexpensive stock options similar to Manners T2

Boyd's Tacticool. Put pillars in and skim bed the receiver. Then inlet for the DBM if ya just gotta' have it. $105 for the stock. I'm doing one for my .223 along with doing a adjustable cheek riser like shown in a thread in the DIY section. They are laminated and are pretty darn well made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Boyd's Tacticool. Put pillars in and skim bed the receiver. Then inlet for the DBM if ya just gotta' have it. $105 for the stock. I'm doing one for my .223 along with doing a adjustable cheek riser like shown in a thread in the DIY section. They are laminated and are pretty darn well made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I had a boyds Tacticool on my CZ455 that was decent, but I guess I didnt think of them as any more than a rimfire stock maker. Ill have to check into this.

Give Travis Stevens at TS Customs a call. He's got a line on some stocks that I think would be right up your alley!

(605) 870-1567

Do you know who is making these stocks?

They were being made by Whidden gunworks... which was subsequently bought by some outfit... which was bought by another outfit. I'm not positive on who currently has it or what brand they are... but I've handled them and it's good stuff. You'll have to give Travis a call tomorrow and he can line you up. He's a top notch smith, so I'm sure he'd be able to help you one way or the next.

They were being made by Whidden gunworks... which was subsequently bought by some outfit... which was bought by another outfit. I'm not positive on who currently has it or what brand they are... but I've handled them and it's good stuff. You'll have to give Travis a call tomorrow and he can line you up. He's a top notch smith, so I'm sure he'd be able to help you one way or the next.

Ive got some Whidden products, they are good stuff.

Should I tell him Orkan sent me?

[MENTION=29473]Walsh[/MENTION] and [MENTION=102824]Road_Clam[/MENTION] I agree with these dudes!

PTG bottom metal goes on sale for 75-100$ every so often. Good stuff !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to update:

I ended up with the Boyds Tacticool that was inlet for the PTG M5 bottom metal from Midway USA for 102 on sale. Also got the PTG bottom metal from them for 99. Metal drops in the inlet almost perfectly(no binding in the cutout and no gaps around the bottom). I will be installing the pillars tomorrow and the action. I may need to sand the stock ever so slightly to get the bottom metal to drop just a hair further into the stock just by looking at it, but the real proof is in the pudding, so to speak, so I wont be doing anything till I test fit the action and try to feed some rounds.

I have no delusions that this stock is anything other than what it is, but for my purposes with this gun, I think it will work out just fine. Would I recommend it for anything else, I dont know, probably not, but for a subsonic plinker I think it will work out ok. Cheek weld seems to be decent, if it needs to be a little higher I will grab a stock pack from Triad or something like that.

In the end I just couldnt justify even a $350 stock to then have to send it out to be inlet(75-100 bucks) and all the guys I talked to also said they wouldnt inlet without also bedding the action, which I understand, but then thats another $100-150 depending on who I talked to. So a $350 stock ends up being a $550-600 stock real quickly, which was what I was attempting to avoid.