• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Info/knowledge needed.

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    I'm looking to get out to a mile and could use some thoughts and advice. I have a Remington/Magpul 6.5 Creedbun, 20" barrel, that shoots pretty well, first photo and second photo is today's target, most of the wides are me, not the rifle., It appears that this is a .5 moa rifle if I do my part ;) I wasnt feeling great this am but the range trip helped. Its one of the new Remingtons. I found an older one (I think) in stainless with the 5R barrel, 26 " barrel. 3rd photo below. Im wondering if the 6" longer barrel on the older rifle will improve accuracy at distance over the shorter barrel? Its also been blueprinted and the barrel set back whatever that means. Timeny trigger like in the Magpul one. If enough to go to a mile, or should I look to a different caliber and spending a lot more money in both rifle and ammo...which I really dont want to do at this point. I have one of the stainless ones in 223 though and its a real tack driver with the right ammo.
    thumbnailRemyMagpul.jpg
    RemyMagpul Target.jpg

Gunbroker Remy 6.5.jpg

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
    If going to a mile is a once-in-a-blue moon deal for you then 6.5 using the longer barrel will work in a pinch though not ideal at all as @Precision Underground said.

If wanting to shoot ELR to a mile or so more frequently, build a 6.5 or 300 PRC and run the highest BC bullet you can get in relevant quantities per your planned shooting schedule.

Reactions: Maggot
    I'm looking to get out to a mile and could use some thoughts and advice. I have a Remington/Magpul 6.5 Creedbun, 20" barrel, that shoots pretty well, first photo and second photo is today's target, most of the wides are me, not the rifle., It appears that this is a .5 moa rifle if I do my part ;) I wasnt feeling great this am but the range trip helped. Its one of the new Remingtons. I found an older one (I think) in stainless with the 5R barrel, 26 " barrel. 3rd photo below. Im wondering if the 6" longer barrel on the older rifle will improve accuracy at distance over the shorter barrel? Its also been blueprinted and the barrel set back whatever that means. Timeny trigger like in the Magpul one. If enough to go to a mile, or should I look to a different caliber and spending a lot more money in both rifle and ammo...which I really dont want to do at this point. I have one of the stainless ones in 223 though and its a real tack driver with the right ammo. View attachment 8136546View attachment 8136548

View attachment 8136565
    You don’t know what “set back the barrel” means after all of your time here, my friend? You need to get out of the Pit more ;-)

Typically means that the chamber has been cut off and the barrel retreaded and new chamber cut.

1. Check that it’s actually still really 26” (bet not)
    2. Typically done to extend the life of a barrel by cutting out the worn throat. This also typically means there is a high round count on the barrel. Ask for the round count.
    3. I suppose it could have been set back to change from another .264 diameter bore cartridge like 260 Rem…but that would be surprising, to me.

Cheers

Last edited:
    What is your ammo situation? I know you aren't a reloader, so what factory load are you using? Give us some stats on this so we can comment a bit on the ballistics involved. Also what is the density altitude and typical wind patterns at your intended firing spot? Do you have a nice dusty back-stop to be shooting against too (for seeing impacts)?

With this 26" CM and a good bullet, if you and I are in MT or WY, I have a good spotting scope and Kestrel, and we are blasting against a dusty backstop, I imagine we could get you getting hits at 1 mile as long as the wind is constant. However, you and I are not in MT or WY and you don't yet know much data about your load. So there are a lot of unknowns here Howard...

What is your ammo situation? I know you aren't a reloader, so what factory load are you using? Give us some stats on this so we can comment a bit on the ballistics involved. Also what is the density altitude and typical wind patterns at your intended firing spot? Do you have a nice dusty back-stop to be shooting against too (for seeing impacts)?

With this 26" CM and a good bullet, if you and I are in MT or WY, I have a good spotting scope and Kestrel, and we are blasting against a dusty backstop, I imagine we could get you getting hits at 1 mile as long as the wind is constant. However, you and I are not in MT or WY and you don't yet know much data about your load. So there are a lot of unknowns here Howard...
    Some elevation, no mirage, and a dusty berm will definitely make it much, much easier. I’m at sea level and the typical mirage in FL is like looking through a flowing river so a 140 at 1M is really tough.

Some elevation, no mirage, and a dusty berm will definitely make it much, much easier. I’m at sea level and the typical mirage in FL is like looking through a flowing river so a 140 at 1M is really tough.

Even out here in Cali we have some areas where we don't have nice dirty, dusty backstops, but being an ex-Floridian, I know that "dusty" is a condition that doesn't come about too often in that neck of the woods, and the mirage... Put the two of those together and... yeah.

It would be relatively easy to take one of the heavier 6.5 bullets out to a mile out here in the right location (even with some gusty winds), but wherever you're shooting, if you can't spot the misses, it's an exercise in futility.

Even out here in Cali we have some areas where we don't have nice dirty, dusty backstops, but being an ex-Floridian, I know that "dusty" is a condition that doesn't come about too often in that neck of the woods, and the mirage... Put the two of those together and... yeah.

It would be relatively easy to take one of the heavier 6.5 bullets out to a mile out here in the right location (even with some gusty winds), but wherever you're shooting, if you can't spot the misses, it's an exercise in futility.
    For sure. When it’s damp and the mirage is boiling you may as well be playing darts in a pitch black room when you get past 1500. It’s been a while since I got out to longer ranges but the last time I was I was hitting 1950 easier than 1M because the berm on 1950 was dry and dusty. Backstop is a huge factor when you get way out there.

Thanks James I have decided against this particular rifle because of the unknowns about the cut Barrel or whatever it is it would be easier to buy an action and Barrel and put it together and know that I have something new that said I think I'm going to keep the one I've got for now at practice and learn with it keep my eyes open for something better as to my ammo the target I posted was shot with some 140 grain Norma I have five different types of ammo I'm going to get out to the range shortly test and see which one seems to go with the rifle best so they're good routes I have not done an extensive review of various kinds but I'm comfortable with what I'm shooting for now Oklahoma where I am is actually pretty low the humidity can vary from 20% today is 95 to 100% mostly dryer though I'm looking forward to getting back up to precision and taking it out further I need to find a buddy with a spotting scope first anyway hope to see you in the fall for the fall shoot

Last edited:
    Reactions: jbailey