• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Info needed: importing scope to USA from UK

Charger442

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Nov 2, 2010
    South Texas
    im looking to buy a scope from the UK and looking around online with the ATF, it appears i dont need a special license to import that scope. Obviously, exporting from USA is a different story with ITAR. This is just a regular scope, not NV or thermal. But the person over there i am buying from is asking about import export licensing so i am trying to find out what i need to do and if there is a permit i need or paperwork i can present to them showing i am all clear.

anyone know what it entails?

I do believe you’re looking at ~14.9% import duty. Check Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States Revision 4 (2023) section XVIII 90-13.

both times I have ordered scopes from outside the us I have had zero problems how ever that said other people at our range getting the same products have run into a few problems in customs . it just took a little extra time for him to get his scope .

im looking to buy a scope from the UK and looking around online with the ATF, it appears i dont need a special license to import that scope. Obviously, exporting from USA is a different story with ITAR. This is just a regular scope, not NV or thermal. But the person over there i am buying from is asking about import export licensing so i am trying to find out what i need to do and if there is a permit i need or paperwork i can present to them showing i am all clear.

anyone know what it entails?
    You don’t need any import/export licenses to buy a regular day optic (rifle scope) as a private party from another private party or retailer located overseas (at least those in countries friendly to the US). I bought schmidt bender scopes from people in Germany in the past off ebay…no license needed.

I imported a scope from the UK a couple of years ago. The exporter required an import permit or confirmation from customs that an import permit was not required. I believe that was a prerequisite to applying for a UK export permit. I managed to get an email from customs saying no import permit required and that was sufficient.
    The UK is pretty strict on scope exports. Anything over 10x magnification is considered military and requires an export permit.