• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes INFO on New GAP/Bushnell Hunting Scope

jsnspck

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2011
Louisiana
I know that nothing is official yet, but would love to know when it is expected to be released to the public and any other specs that might have been leaked.

Read the 6.5 saum thread there is some insite from George on the scope. It sounds like its still in the development and testing stages. Hopefully we'll see something at SHOT in January.

Read the 6.5 saum thread there is some insite from George on the scope. It sounds like its still in the development and testing stages. Hopefully we'll see something at SHOT in January.

That's where I originally found out about it, just trying to give the scope it's own thread hoping to get more info.

I agree, the scope needs its own thread. Below are some George's comments.

Scope Details

Just prior to shot show 2013 I talked to Tom Fuller and Tim Tanker from Bushnell, they were interested in doing an Optic for long range hunting, not just a tactical scope or target scope to put on a hunting rifle. They wanted a shot at creating the best Xtreme hunting LR optic covering all the bases. So we set up a meeting for the shot show and I told them I would Invite the Guy to talk to. Pat Sinclair!! I don't know too many people that can hunt 365 days a year in every condition there is but I know Pat does, and has for a long time. Anyhow the meeting was a success and the scope was speced out over a couple hour meeting behind closed doors at the shot show.

Parameters set:

3x12 power no more than 15
30 mm tube
Side focus, keep the knob in tight.
42-44 mm Obj
no more than 13" long
weight under 24 oz
Low profile elevation knob, 10 mils of elevation in one turn, great clicks, with a hard zero stop and elevation stop. Meaning that you get 10 mils and cant be a rev off , ever!
Large letters on elevation knob for salty eyes to see.
Capped windadge knob. But allow the knob to be used if the user wants to uncap it. 5 mils of movement. Keep the knob as small as possible capped.
FFP, Fisrt Focal Plane

Reticle was discussed as initially as being new, And being created to be faster to acquire targets and easy to use as a up close optic for dangerous game in close, IE Brown Bears in the Alder bushes of Alaska. Or a B&C animal that presents itself close.

I later had a meeting with Tom and Tim in Kansas city over a few German Beers and we drew the reticle out. Tim later provided drawings that we tweeked till it was right.

Bushnell got it all done. I actually got the scope the first day of the Wyoming 307 Speedgoat hunt. Bushnell shipped it to Scotts house and we mounted it up the evening of day one. The next morning Pat zero'ed it and by 10:00 am it connected with a Doe antelope at 1268 yards on its very first pull of the trigger on fur! Hopefully this is a sign of its success to come!

Should have a few more to get into testers hands soon. And it will debut at the Shot show in January 2014. My guess there will be units available in Jan -Feb time frame but I am just guessing on that timeline.

The initial prototype is getting a couple little minor tweeks to make it a little better yet.

This scope is also probably the best DMR scope platform for a SPR or 308 carbine as well as its intended use as a LRHS.

Ill post a couple pics now but I need to get this thing photographed better this week and I will update it.

On the ocular lock, its rapid for the simple fact that lots of guys wear glasses and they get fogged way more often in cold weather and when you are breathing hard. a can think of alot of times where my glasses were thrown from my face fast to make a quick shot. The ability to rapidly use the focus was to myself and others a must.

The Reticle is the best part, I think if you tried one you would like it, I may be wrong because once your used to something and it sounds like you are, its hard to make a change from it when it works for you. The scope in design is a Long range scope, with the up close mods in the reticle for secondary use in up close and Oh Shit situations.

Total of 25 Mills of travel. The Scope if zero'ed on a 20 min base should yield you about 16-17 Mills of elevation. On a flat base or Talley LW setups 10-11 Mils is about what you will get. give or take a mil. There is a screw that can be set that limits the travel to 10 mils and keeps you on a single turn like the S&B singleturn knob.

I know thin centers are great for punching paper and shooting small 4" pieces of steel at 600 yards but we are talking about a hunting scope. A through and through hunting scope to be put on a hunting rifle. the thin cross hairs are almost impossible to see in thick cover or on dark background. We already have tons of choices for target scopes there are many this is designed to be a hunting scope period. I would tell you its certainly not the pest choice for a target rifle.

The tube is a whole new design. The glass inside is different is has an incredible eye box real easy to get on fast. Very crisp. The eyepiece housing was the same as the current 3x12. But Rev 2 is changing that. The 3x12 was the best choice to start from its probably the most common power we all use while hunting, It looks like they will do a 4-16 with all the same features for 2015. So the guys that think they need more power will get it eventually.

Got word today that the scope Indicated Retail for $1479, That's Retail, should not change from this.

Im guessing that they will sell in the neighborhood of $1250-1350 being that nobody gets retail.

Its a Great Scope and will be out for order for SHOT SHOW. Prototypes like the one I have will b in a few people's hands prior to to give worthy feedback. The Great part is Bushnell listened to Real Hunters/Shooters on this, Pat and I got to 100% spec this scope. Both having used it Im telling you they hit a Homer. Never mind a Grand Slam!!

407753742.jpg

407820953.jpg

407820955.jpg

407820973.jpg

IMG_22231.jpg

IMG_23214.jpg

IMG_23012.jpg

LRHS.jpg

Last edited:
Wow...I'm looking at having a hunting rifle built for me in 2014 and currently debating what scope I want to put on it, and now I see this...might be just what the doctor ordered. Can't wait to get updates on this one.

This is without a doubt the scope I will be purchasing when they come around. My 300WM M70 Larado LRH is needing a new scope and the new NF 2.5-10x42 was and still is a great choice but this seems to cover all bases very well. I'm not a big fan of big knob and this seems to have been addressed. Pat and George. Thanks!

Wish they'd been able to pump it up to a 3-15. Personally, I really like that extra 3x mag for some of my longer shots. Looks like a great piece of kit though!

Last edited:
That's kind if like the gun I hunt with now. Mine is heavier because of the G2DMR but I love it. Wouldn't mind having that scope for a handier rig, it's exactly what I was hoping they would do. I thought about the 3-12 G2 but this looks even better for a hunting gun. Reticle looks great, a lot like the G2 but addresses some issues for low light or up close hunting. The 4-16 sounds good also.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
im just hoping that they make a tactical version of this scope, i think with a little more mag its what the hdmr should have been.

The reticule is the G2DMR as far as I can tell with a circle around the center. Looks good to me but I'm not sure what use the center circle will be on a 3-12 optic.
It would seem to me that the "doughnut of death" is for fast acquisition in a dangerous game situation. Much faster to find the circle than crosshair intersection...

The reticule is the G2DMR as far as I can tell with a circle around the center. Looks good to me but I'm not sure what use the center circle will be on a 3-12 optic.
I have hunted with the 3.5-21 G2 and I can definitely understand the heavy circle design. When its needed in low light and/or up close and on low power the circle will sit nicely on the kill zone of an animal. I would not be mad at all if one of my G2's had it. It makes a lot of sense for a hunting scope. I would imagine that on low power the heavy circle and the heavy posts pull in towards the center for a good thick aiming zone at short range and just what you need for low light.

Last edited:

It's a FFP(first focal plane) optic, so on 3x the reticle gets very small. That circle makes the crosshairs very usable on low power settings in lowlight hunting situations. Excellent idea! Looking forward to picking one of these up when available.

That scope is gonna be a hit. I'd like a 5x mag factor with no tunneling, though. Looks like an ideal reticle for an FFP hunting scope.

Joe

To George or anyone with Bushnell...

I wouldn't mind trying this reticle out for you in one of my 3.5-21 G2DMR's.

I would give up the small space near the 2 mil mark in my scope. The circle really doesn't block anything I would need to shoot at that range and I would have a better reticle for low light, close up shooting. Just let me know where to send it. Feel free to throw zero stops on mine while you're in there... I'll pay for it. Just kidding, unless you'll do it if course haha.

This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to get by starting this thread. When I first saw it on the 6.5 SAUM thread, I thought it might be close to the 3-12 G2DMR scope that Bushnell already makes, but now the differences are apparent and significant. Thanks for all of the input.

Thanks for the thread, I don't know this scope was in the works.

Are there any pictures of the reticle on 3x or does anyone know what magnification the scope is on in the reticle picture above?

I wish someone would make a hunting scope or spotter kind of like vortex, with deer/elk in the bottom of the scope, instead of people to range distances. Three sizes. I keep a mil chart based off a 18" deer back to chest.

That looks great - I'm totally looking forward to another dent in the wallet when this thing debuts.

I like the 15x as well. Even at 500 yards it helps me out a lot. This will work nice on my 7mm stw. It would also be awesome if it stayed about 20 ounces, which I'm sure is hard to do.

This looks like not only a great hunting scope....but a GREAT all around scope. One thing that personally I would have loved to seen included would have been an illuminated reticle. Was this ever in the thought process for the specifications? Any chance of there being an illuminated version?

I'd love to see this reticle in the HDMR. Or upgrade the HDMR line with the same new features/reticle and keep the 3-21x for target/weapon ID.

They could go thinner on the retical if they illuminated it... I love it but for the ( ultimate ) it would be 2.5x 15x 42 if you can't hunt rabbit to brown bear to speed goat with that mag range something's wrong! Glad I held off getting a scope!

This scope looks to be a great addition to the market by Bushnell. I'm going to be building a 300wm or 7Rem mag that this thing would be attached to. Can't wait to see the finished product.

I had another thought on this scope... Could they coat the retical like leupold does. In daylight when the retical hits black or shadowy brush it seems to shine gold and is very easy to see? Not sure if I like the circle of death thou?.. This will be put on a lot of calibers you don't want any thing charging.... Please go a little higher than 12x. I think up to 15 damn near perfect...

This sounds like it could be a good candidate for my lightweight .260 build.

I can't wait for this, it will be perfect for my KAC LPR. I was going to get a 2.5-10x42 NF but I think this will fit the bill even better.

LRH005.jpg

I'm weathered out from hunting today, so I'll do a little T&E on this bad boy.....

12*F with sideways snow. I let the rifle sit out in it for about an hour. Elevation turret works fine, with no stiffness from the cold. Eye-piece diopter was a little stiff....no surprise, I've never seen one that worked smoothly when it's cold. O rings and grease can and will be a bit stiff in extreme cold. Parallax works smooth and is easy to use.

LRH006.jpg

I LOVE this elevation turret! When George and I sat down with the Bushnell guys last winter at the Shot Show, we really wanted to see a low profile elevation turret, and I requested larger numbers and hash marks for low light conditions and aging eyesight, shooters get when they get in their late 40's....