• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Info on NY......

Kayakfish1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2019
Greensboro nc
Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask but here goes....

In a few weeks I'll be heading to New York on a fishing trip. I'll be staying as far away from NYC as possible, but from my research I've done it looks like I'm completely sol for carrying on this trip (legally anyway...).
I dont really like going anywhere without some sort if firearm with me (typically a handgun on my person and my 300blk ar truck gun locked in the truck). So is there any way for me, a NC ccw permit holder, to carry a weapon with me to NY without risking confiscation/fines/charges/imprisonment?

Reactions: diverdon
Dirty D is correct. NO. Better off staying in front of enemy lines instead of behind them.

I used to live in upstate NY the gun dealers would freak out if it looked like you might touch one of the handguns since you needed a licence to touch one in NY. I think you would fine though taking a bolt action rifle, shotgun, or safe act legal semi auto in a case. If you get stopped just say your on the way to the range, and it wouldn't be a problem in most of NY.

According to the latest info from US Concealed Carry, NY is not one of the states that is reciprocal with North Carolina's CCW license.

Therefore, handguns are a no go. New York is a bit 'special' when it comes to carry and residential licenses. There are many places in this state where you can easily obtain a non-restricted full carry that is valid anywhere in the state except for urban NYC and a few other places. However, NY recognizes very few, if any other out of state licenses.

A shotgun, bolt action rifle, levergun or black powder revolving carbine in your vehicle should be fine as long as it is in the trunk and unloaded/separate from ammunition. Even with this, still stay the fuck out of New York City. If NY is special, NYC is even more so and one of their favorite money making schemes in recent years is busting innocent out of state travelers who did not know that their home state CCL's are not valid in the city, charging them with a felony, and then dropping the charges after bleeding them dry financially in court. And no, nobody got their guns back either, from what I heard.

Long guns stored in the method described above will be fine in any region of the state that does NOT require a special "rifle/shotgun permit" to purchase and possess long guns.

A big no for New York, and if you really break it down you could be arrested in both Maryland and New Jersey if you were planning on driving up.

Reactions: Maggot
What we really and desperately need is CCL reciprocity as soon as it can be implemented. Navigating through this mess of local and state ordinances is seriously like trying to find your goddamn way through a cluttered and darkened room with Lego pieces strewn all over the floor, barefoot. One wrong move and an average Joe finds himself suddenly a felon, or at least potentially so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alabusa and Maggot
What we really and desperately need is CCL reciprocity as soon as it can be implemented. Navigating through this mess of local and state ordinances is seriously like trying to find your goddamn way through a cluttered and datkened room with Lego pieces strewn all over the floor, barefoot. One wrong move and an average Joe finds himself suddenly a felon, or at least potentially so.
I know right. Next election we need to make sure the Republicans win the house, Senate, and presidency then we will get national reciprocity and the hearing protection act. Oh wait...

End sarcasm, I just drove from Maryland to Arizona and had to completely reroute my trip because of Illinois and what I had in my car. It is what it is.

Reactions: Blue Sky Country
The last time I was in NYC I found it so depressing I swore Id never cross the Hudson River again south of Tarrytown. I have no intent of altering that decision. Upstate is beautiful if you have the chance check out the Catskills and or the Finger Lakes. Should be about foliage time.

I live in upstate NY. Don't even think of bringing anything...Rifle,shotgun,or anything!!! You can't say " Im going hunting"(No Non res hunting license.) Cant use the shooting range excuse unless you can show a membership card .
Just don't do it!!!!!

Traveling with a firearm is legal as long as the gun is legal at your home state and the destination state. That being said, I'd still never travel anywhere that involved most of the northeast, especially New York. They have arrested people who have had relatives who owned guns die, for simply failing to turn them over to police upon the person's death. They have arrested people flying to Africa who changed planes in New York state, even though their gun was luggage and not in the possession. They have arrested people for using a gun to defend their own life against a murderer and freed the criminal.

The only thing worse than New York gun laws is New Yorkers who move to the south and vote for New York style gun laws and Clinton's for public office..

I'd go buy fish at a store and stay the hell out of that state, but that is just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: acudaowner
I live in upstate NY. Don't even think of bringing anything...Rifle,shotgun,or anything!!! You can't say " Im going hunting"(No Non res hunting license.) Cant use the shooting range excuse unless you can show a membership card .
Just don't do it!!!!!
When did the no non-res hunting license thing go into effect? I hunted the finger lakes region on a non-res permit around 2008-2010, as a CT resident. Permits were over the counter for deer, archery and general gun season.

Thanks for all ths info.........that's pretty much what I had figured. Luckily I'll only be there for a couple days, and nowhere near any kind of large municipality.....so hopefully no trouble comes looking for somewhere to happen.

Drivers licenses are NOT a Right.
Drivers licenses are VALID across the U.S; correct?
--A person with a New Mexico drivers license can drive across the U.S. and not be ticketed simply for driving with an out-of-State license, if I understand the process properly.
A CCL is obtained and held through higher standards, and is directly pertaining to a Right, right?
WHY THE HELL are CCL's not valid across the U.S.,,,, EVERYWHERE and ALWAYS?

That situation is simply illogical, ridiculous, and insane. And you people are 'paying' professionals to make/keep up that system? There needs to be a serious (yet simple) "reformat" of that process, right there.

Drivers licenses are NOT a Right.
Drivers licenses are VALID across the U.S; correct?
--A person with a New Mexico drivers license can drive across the U.S. and not be ticketed simply for driving with an out-of-State license, if I understand the process properly.
A CCL is obtained and held through higher standards, and is directly pertaining to a Right, right?
WHY THE HELL are CCL's not valid across the U.S.,,,, EVERYWHERE and ALWAYS?

That situation is simply illogical, ridiculous, and insane. And you people are 'paying' professionals to make/keep up that system? There needs to be a serious (yet simple) "reformat" of that process, right there.
You are not wrong sir, but the many state governments want their subjects to be reliant on the government for protection. This is especially true in the North East.

You are not wrong sir, but the many state governments want their subjects to be reliant on the government for protection. This is especially true in the North East.
Like I said, sir. "System ReFormat" needed.

Of the People,
By the People,
and For the People,

No?

Reactions: lash
When did the no non-res hunting license thing go into effect? I hunted the finger lakes region on a non-res permit around 2008-2010, as a CT resident. Permits were over the counter for deer, archery and general gun season.
You can get a Non Res hunting license, but no season will be open when he takes his trip.

Gotcha, I was concerned they had just shut down non res hunting. Up state is beautiful.

Reactions: oneshot86
I left Upstate (Central) New York 3 years ago, and never look back.

There is no such thing as "Far away as possible from NYC"; it's all NY.

My CCW Instructor told us that of we feel we "need" to carry somewhere, the best thing is not to go there.

...And that was about Arizona...

It least in AZ, the police are not in league with the pols. God knows who's left in NY LE who can stomach the idiotic laws that are forced on them.

I've fished the Beaverkill often, and it's great; but I'm done with NY.

Greg

To Greg's point above...

Short convo last week...

Guy- "What's your favored carry piece."

Me- "I don't carry."

Guy- "What?!? You look like a guy who carries."

Me- "Nah, I live in a nice neighborhood and if I feel like I might need a gun somewhere, I don't go there..."

Guy- "Yeah, I know that's right. But, if you lived where I do, you'd carry."

Me- "Yeah, you're right..."

I live in a pretty "safe" area....that being said in the past 5 years I've had 2 situations that involved crackhead trailer trash from the next town over (20 minutes away) wanting to start trouble, and waiting 30 minutes for the sheriff's deputies to show up further proved the point that I like to be armed at all times.....not to mention protecting the farm animals from stuff trying to eat them more times than I can count.

As a lifelong resident (prisoner) I can make one suggestion that I feel comfortable making.....

DONT FUCKING COME HERE.

Go anywhere else and spend your time and money. The catch phrase "I love NY" is horeshit and it should read "I love MYSELF".
55959612_1119070368272527_1679089736062337024_n.jpg

AC.jpg