• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Info on Remington 722 .222 Rem.

Boatninja

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 3, 2018
Out there somewhere
I've aquired a Rem 722 in .222 Rem, I am having trouble determining age, serial #132xxx on receiver, OWW on left side of barrel, 14 stamped on very bottom of the barrel and upside down 29 and various proof marks on right side of barrel. What I have seen online shows something different for this serial #. I feel like I'm missing something or doing something stupid. Anybody enlighten me?
I originally bought the gun to use the action for a .223 build. The price was too good to pass up. I have heard or read sometime in the past that early 722's had not so great steel used in barrels and most barrels were rusted/shot out by now and first look down the barrel it looked pretty bad. Squirted some Kroil in it and soaked a couple of days, Then ran a brush and a couple of patches through it and got some nasty looking stuff out of it but nothing that looked like rust. Anyway after a very thorough cleaning and bore scoping the barrel shows very little sign of having been shot and rifling is surprisingly sharp. I am now going to shoot it as is for now which raises more questions regarding aftermarket trigger compatibility etc. Any knowledge that anyone would be willing to share?
Anything appreciated.

Reactions: Folken
From Jackie Schmidt on Benchrest Central:

The main difference in the 700 and the original 721-722 was mostly cosmetic, the tang is shaped a little different, the bolt knob is more of a tear drop. I don't know about the difference in the safety. The triggers might be a little different, but mount the same.
A number of years ago, Remington placed a bolt guide rail on the right lug of the 700. This makes the bolt feel like it is more stable in the action. Overall, the original 700's had an overall better cosmetic finish than the 721-722.
The things that count to us, mainly the basic design, is just about the same. If I had a 722 action, I would not hesitate to use it on a custom Rifle.
I would venture a guess that factory original 721-722's will bring a premium price as compared to a 700. Many shooters relate the 721-722 to the glory years when Mike Walker roamed the halls of Remington. better steel, better workmanship, better barrels, just a better Rifle.

In addition, the bolt handle is more 90 degrees from the bolt than the later, swept back design of the 700.

I have a 722 in a Fajen stock. I got a Jewel trigger for it and it fit the action just fine. The only thing was it is so far back that it actually touched the trigger guard. I just used a flat washer on that action screw to lift the guard up a little. IMG_20220713_165818098_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I built my first rifle on a 721 at gun school; which was the long action version, 722 being the short action. The rear tang was not cut for clearance for a 700 trigger safety,so I milled a flat on the side of the tang so I could use a 700 trigger. The barrel may be a Hart barrel, Remington used them on some older bolt guns. The original 721 & 722 trigger were decent with some work but they do not block the trigger or allow the bolt to open with the safety on. I believe with the right improvements it's a good foundation for a build. There is a .222 Remington Magnum, so don't make the mistake of buying the wrong ammo, a customer of mine years ago did that and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't chamber. Post some pics, I love the old stuff!

My guess is July 1950 . If that is correct your rifle was made the year the .222 Remington round was introduced .

Thank's Haney! Do you have any Unertl knowledge, or can point me in a direction?
I am by no means a Unertl expert , wish I was . This site has some good info and nice scopes for sale . The owner of the site really knows scopes . If you can't find the info you seek he can help . Congrats on finding a beautiful old rifle .

http://unertl.alexweb.net/

There has been discussion on this same thread in the past or something similar i think. I'll do a quick lookup then paste you the link if i find it
Thank's tex573, I have searched and found many threads but going through them can be pretty daunting. There may well be a better way of searching for them than I have been using. Everyone who has responded to this thread has had info that has been welcome as well as useful.
Two Unertl related websites have been listed but making a living hasn't left me time during business hours to pursue them, but I hope to follow up on them soon.
Thank's again to all who have responded, all of the info is appreciated! Any and all help appreciated, keep it coming.

Reactions: M1A1Abrams
I just bought one also. I would not cut this up. They're going for a $1,000 & up depending on condition. I would say you need to refer to Remington for the year. They built the 222 REM Mag in 1958. I would not mind having two. lol

Description: First truly modern centerfire rifle with the strongest bolt ever developed. Short action version of Model 721.

Introduction Year: 1948

Year Discontinued: 1962

Total Production: Approximately: 117,751

Designer/Inventor: Merle "Mike" Walker & Homer W. Young

Action Type: Bolt Action

Serial Number Blocks: Starting: 1,100 - Ending: 423,000

Caliber/Gauge:
.222 Rem. - .1950 - 26" & 24" barrel
.222 Rem. Mag. - 1958 24" barrel
.243 Win. - 1959 - 22" barrel
.244 Rem. - 1956 24" & 22" barrel
.257 Roberts - 1948 - 24" & 22" barrel
.300 Savage - 1948 - 24" & 22" barrel
.308 Win. - 1956 - 24" & 22" barrel

Variations:
722A - 1948-1962
722AC - 1949-1955
722B Special - 1949-1955
722 D Peerless - 1949-1959
722 F Premier - 1949-1959
722 ADL - 1955-1959
722 BDL - 1955-1959

I just bought one also. I would not cut this up. They're going for a $1,000 & up depending on condition. I would say you need to refer to Remington for the year. They built the 222 REM Mag in 1958. I would not mind having two. lol

Description: First truly modern centerfire rifle with the strongest bolt ever developed. Short action version of Model 721.

Introduction Year: 1948

Year Discontinued: 1962

Total Production: Approximately: 117,751

Designer/Inventor: Merle "Mike" Walker & Homer W. Young

Action Type: Bolt Action

Serial Number Blocks: Starting: 1,100 - Ending: 423,000

Caliber/Gauge:
.222 Rem. - .1950 - 26" & 24" barrel
.222 Rem. Mag. - 1958 24" barrel
.243 Win. - 1959 - 22" barrel
.244 Rem. - 1956 24" & 22" barrel
.257 Roberts - 1948 - 24" & 22" barrel
.300 Savage - 1948 - 24" & 22" barrel
.308 Win. - 1956 - 24" & 22" barrel

Variations:
722A - 1948-1962
722AC - 1949-1955
722B Special - 1949-1955
722 D Peerless - 1949-1959
722 F Premier - 1949-1959
722 ADL - 1955-1959
722 BDL - 1955-1959
How can you tell which variation it is? Looking at buying a 722 in 222 and never seen a stock like it before

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221217_150844_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221217_150844_Chrome.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 93
I inherited one from my dad. He shot ground hogs in VA with it. Rem 722 in 222. He made the stock himself out of a piece of wood that was intended for individuals to make their own stock. Some ancient reloading gear also. In the safe and will continue to be a family heirloom

How can you tell which variation it is? Looking at buying a 722 in 222 and never seen a stock like it before.
I would venture to the Remington site. But they rarely show much on stocks. Yours looks to be a varmint type stock. It could be factory ? I am not sure. Or it could have been a aftermarket put on in later years. I have seen these stocks in the past just not sure who produced them. You have a beautiful piece there. I wish I could help you out more. If I run across some literature I will refer back to you. I am leaning more to a aftermarket. Possibly when they were shooting competitions. It was a big thing back in the day.

I would venture to the Remington site. But they rarely show much on stocks. Yours looks to be a varmint type stock. It could be factory ? I am not sure. Or it could have been a aftermarket put on in later years. I have seen these stocks in the past just not sure who produced them. You have a beautiful piece there. I wish I could help you out more. If I run across some literature I will refer back to you. I am leaning more to a aftermarket. Possibly when they were shooting competitions. It was a big thing back in the day.
Thank you for the information! I'll try the remington site.

Okay. I was wondering more about the stock on mine. Wondering if it's original or aftermarket
Since buying mine I have researched them a fair bit and don't think your stock is anything Remington produced.
If you decide to replace it I might possibly be persuaded to take it off your hands. ;-))

Since buying mine I have researched them a fair bit and don't think your stock is anything Remington produced.
If you decide to replace it I might possibly be persuaded to take it off your hands. ;-))
I had been kicking the idea around about buying a .222 and the stock is what made me pull the trigger! I was just wanting to know if it was original or not. Only 1's I've seen similar have the black painted on where this 1 is blonde.

This has been restocked with a stock most likely from Reinhart Fagen - definitely not a factory stock. Probably done in the late '60's or '70's.

Fajen.jpg

Reactions: M1A1Abrams