• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Info on Remington SPS

buggsb

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 2, 2007
S. California
I was wondering what folks experiences are here with the Remington SPS...good?

Anybody know the barrel diameter at the muzzle for the 20" barrel.

I assume hammer forged rifling, correct?

I'm looking at these for a base rifle for a budget precision rig and was wondering how it would compare to other options such as a PSS or LTR.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Re: Info on Remington SPS

Which SPS are you asking about? My SPS-V is a straight heavy 26" barrel. It's the same as the 700P and PSS except for the stock. The older rifles had a different trigger also. Otherwise they are basically the same. The finish on the metal is also different but someone smarter than me will have to tell you the difference.
I will get mine out and measure it unless someone beats me to it.

Jim

The SPS-V and SPS Tactical are both excellent rifles for the price and a great starting point for a custom.

I am not sure if Remington is using Hammer Forging on the CM barrels or not. I heard a rumor, but never bothered to confirm. I just assumed they were button rifled.

Wolf, did they skip on the action at all? Cut corners or anything in order to reduce price?

I don't feel like they cut any corners. My sps-v in .308 shoots just as good as my VLS. They are different calibers, but both shoot very well. Cycling the bolt on my sps was kind of rough to begin with, but after some use that goes away. I don't think you would disappointed in the sps at all though.

I just ordered an SPS in 30-06. I should have it in 2 weeks and will give a full report.

I saw a 700 SPS at a gun show recently. I was considering buying it, but I checked prices online, and his $599 price was nothing to make me jump, so I decided to hold off. I like the subtle appearance with the Hogue stock and everything being black.

The weight doesn't bother me, are there any disadvantages to the shorter barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Irisharrow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wolf, did they skip on the action at all? Cut corners or anything in order to reduce price? </div></div>

Comparing the SPS to some of the higher end 700's:

They don't jewel the bolt so it's rougher feeling when new.
The finish is a matte blue so it's not as pretty as the deep blue.

Other than that I can't tell anywhere they cut corners. The action smooths out quickly if you are serious about dry fire training. I dry fire a lot and my action is smooth as glass. I don't care about bolt jeweling and would rather not have it due to the reflection. The matte blue finish also does not bother me because I krylon bomb it.

I very recently purchased a Remmy SPS Tactical in .308, I love the rifle. With factory Ultramax Reman 168 gr match ammo, I'm getting .75" 5 shot group pretty consistently at 100 yards.
grin.gif
I'm still a novice shooter, but I'll take that performance. I'm sure there is a half inch group in this rifle, I'm just not there with my skill level. I've only been at this for 2 months now.

My longest shot so far, 300 yards, first 5 shot group was 4". I'm ok with that.

I've also recently begun reloading my .308 ammo, I'm still trying to find the sweet spot with H-4895 and Varget, but my handloads are giving me about an inch at 100 yards, pretty good for a starting point.
smile.gif

snipercentral.com has a really nice report on the sps-v
I got one to build a custom around back in Nov, and paid about $580. I think I overpaid a bit compared to some people, but I'm not going to whine about it. Right out of the box I shot around .75 moa consistently w/ factory TAP. Seems to like that 168 ammo in the 12 twist.
Put a top shelf custom stock on in March, and brought the groups down to .5 moa w/ the same ammo. I'm out of that ammo now, and just starting to get into handloading. Havent done enough to really tell yet, but I might be seeing the makings of some .25 groups if i'm lucky... I still plan on shit canning the bbl, and having it all trued, custom SS bbl, maybe trigger (put an old style on it last month), bolt knob, threaded bbl/TP, and whatever else I think I need. But the cool thing is, I still have a great shooting rifle in the meantime. The most I have into it is the new stock, but when I can I'll put a nice piece of glass on, and THAT will end up being the most expensive part.
But like I said, I dont have to hurry because it already shoots great. I'd do it all over again wether I have the money for a whole complete custom package or not.

Had the .308 tactical (20" barrel) last year and it was a consistent .75" gun at 100 yards with Federal 168 match. Sold it to buy another rifle.

Just recently purchased the same rifle but in .223. Since I'm only killing paper and roughing up steel the .223 just made more since due to cost of ammo.

I will try and get yo the measurement on the barrel but if memory serves me correctly, it is the same barrel as the LTR w/o the flutes. I did weigh the .223 at 8 lbs. 7 oz. unloaded.

Depending on what you are after the factory stock will do what it needs to do.

velocity for Black Hills 68 gr Match HP was 2750 fps.

I shoot a Remington Police and was deciding on getting a Rem sps tactical. I went with the Police due to the fact that I traded my AR for it. In the Police 155g Lapua Scenars or 168g SMK's with federal GMM brass, Federal 210 primers, and Hodgdon Vargret shoots amazing.

The hogue stock sucks in a big way.

Gun shoots pretty good though. I put mine in a HS Precision stock. Feels better, and I'm sure it will shoot better when I get it back on the bench.