• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Information for 460 steyr

matthias

Terminal lurker
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2011
bismarck north dakota
Here is where I am. I would like a big bore cartridge like the fifty bmg but I can not use it hunting due to local regulations. I have several 45-70 rifles and a 458 socom bolt action. Many .458 bullets sit on the shelf above my bench, and this makes me not want to have to stock 416, 375, or 408 bullets , So I am lead to the 460 steyr. There is precious little information on this cartridge. Especially when it comes to reloading.

Here is what i know
Based off of a shortened 50bmg
Ch4d makes forming dies and reloading dies
Rcbs makes reloading dies
Gs custom bullets has some starting loads but no information other tHan that
Ptg has reamers and gauges
Pacnor will make a fast twist .458 barrel for this project
Lehigh makes a nice looking bullet

Here is what I am still looking for
More reloading data
Case capacity for use in quick load to get more powder options
Nice Longrange 458 bullets
Really anything that will help as far as case dimensions , throat length, neck diameter
Any real world experiences with this cartridge.

Thanks for reading through this and imput

It may be worth a call to Dave Fricke at Lehigh to ask him what he knows. If he can design a projectile for it I'm sure he knows a little more. He's always been helpful when I've called. He may ship you some test rounds too :)

You might talk to AAA Ammo as they have been one of the few places to sell .460 Steyr ammo and components. It's an impressive cartridge on paper, but there's very little info about real world performance, as far as I know.