• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Inglourious Basterds

Ross0341

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2009
NY
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ELXX6k2AGtA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ELXX6k2AGtA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Inglourious Basterds

Man, Brad Pitt does the worst fucking Southern accent I have ever heard.

Sounds pretty good to me...just lazy English, like a Bedouin speaks lazy Arabic
wink.gif

Looks amusing but I definitely agree that is a bad southern accent. It's like butchered trailer park trash here in NC or something. Too fast for the more southerly States.

Yeah, Brad Pitt sounds absolutely terrible. Movie looks good but I think the main character will bother the crap out of me sucking about 50% of the enjoyment from the flick.

Between the spelling of the title of the film, and the somewhat cheeky manner they go about doing things in the clip, I suppose it is safe to say that Pitts piss-poor accent is just supposed to add to the comedic effect. Annoying it is none the less.

This movie is Quentin Tarentino's take on a 'spaghetti western'--low budget western movies filmed by Italian directors. Perhaps Pitt's accent is deliberated in such a way as to further emulate that style of film.

Now that the language controversy has started, I'll definitely see this one. Someone told me SNATCH was too stupid to see because of Pitt's wierd accent, but I LOL'ed through the entire movie. Instant epic.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4LJw6PAi5Q8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4LJw6PAi5Q8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

BUT, does he remember he is from OK????? These geniuses have a serious problem with remembering where they come from. I hope he members tho.

Mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...Any factual connections?</div></div>

Unrelated to the movie, I watched an interview with an older British operative and he likened himself and their activities to today's terrorists, striking fear into the Germans, etc. If you talk to some of the older vets, you might get a better idea.

So in a general way, considering everything that did happen during the War, I think I would have to answer Yes, there is a factual basis.

Research what the OSS etc., did. Example, for D-Day. behind the lines terror, using their many ethnic groups operatives, across the Third Reich/Axis. You might get an idea why, most of the time, the Axis executed any captives, etc.

I have not see the movie, did they really use Kelly's Heroes theme music and style?

I've just seen the short flick from the TV reviews. You'd think every German was armed with an all powerful MP40 during WWII from the looks of it. Unlike other movies, seems like they at least gave them a pair of spare mag carriers to look somewhat realistic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hannibal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been across the pond many times. Pitt in "Snatch" was pretty close to some of those accents I have heard. In a pub in Inverness I sat with an old bloke for 30 minutes- couldn't understand a damn word he said! I even recorded some of it, played it back, nada. Like that Scottish/English is a whole other language.</div></div>
LOL. Spent a long night in a pub in Dundee with 2 French Foreign Legion officers (no English) and two Sgt's from one of the Royal Regiments (not my English). It was a perfect night of drinking because I could just laugh, not being able to understand anyone. On the one side, it sounded like Szz jez de shzzzz trz be shezuzzz and on the other, E-I-E-I-O!

Just returned from watching the movie and it was good. Despite the dumb accent from Pitt and two and a half hour length the wierdness and violence usually expected from Tarantino made this movie a worthwhile watch..

One review I read didn't like the music But I thought is was fun - listen for the spagetti western theme and the music from Kelly's Heroes. I just wish that I knew WWII ended earlier the the history books led us to believe. Enjoy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ever seen "Snatched" , Brad is in that also </div></div>

It's "Snatch", and it's a great movie.

Just saw this. It's actually really well done.

A little slow in parts for all the action advertised, but well worth the cash. Like "Snatch" the accent is part of the comedy.

Agreed, Fredo.

Got home a bit ago and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yeah it was slow at times, but that's typical Tarantino. He balances the action with a few lulls to help the story move along.

Truly a master of his trade, and he doesn't fall short on this go-round.

Everyone stop reading this thread and get to the damn theater already.
wink.gif

I think it was one of, if not, his best.

Action, humor, and story. Go see it.

Snatch is on of the best Pitt movies ever....great for a laugh and then watch "Lock, Stock and Smoking Barrel" with much of the same cast.
Two really funny movies.

I didn't think "Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels" was nearly as good as "Snatch". The latter is an all time classic while the former was just okay.

Just got back from watching this movie. I thought it was very good. Would definitely recommend it if you're a Tarantino fan.

CWJ

Really loved it! Not a huge Tarentino fan, regardless I thought it was very well acted by all those involved. The actor who played Landa was unbelievably cruel the way he toyed with his suspects/victims.

I am going to see it again.

Without a doubt the biggest piece of shit I've ever seen.

The kind of film produced by someone who hasn't got a clue about anything. Shame on me for sitting through it.

If your thinking of going, take the cash and burn it, at least you will keep it from that dumb ass.

Add this one to your "end of the world is coming" list, definitive proof that nothing short of a broken glass enema is going to save humanity.

Just came back from seeing it. It was worth the money to go see. The accent was just part of the movie, in one scene it all made sense why he had it. That and it added to theodd sense of humor, I think. Not nearly as bloody as Kill Bill was. I think it could have been a half hour shorter though, I will watch it again when it comes out though. It deffinetly is not for "everyone".

saw it, went in thinking this movie was a bomb, but it actually was very entertaining. would definitely see again, not an authentic story by any means, but very entertaining.

I am a Tarentino fan (Pulp,Kill Bill,Planet Terror, etc.) thought he was trying to hard and first half of the movie was dirt slow (+ not enough of Brad and his squad).

"Who the hell cares if the farmer makes good milk and has 3 daughters, german just had a son and his named him Max, etc"

Pitt's accent in Snatch is near perfect Pikey!!! as they said, "It's not English and it's not Irish, it's just sort of...Pikey" and it does sound like a lot of the ones l've mixed with.... Legend goes that Jinnie Jones took Pitt to a Pikey camp to watch some Hare coursing and he copied the accent from them

Can't see the Ratwife wanting to go watch, so this one will be one for the boys when it comes out on cd.

Watched it last night. From my point of view I'd say it was good but by no means great, I can also see why some would hate it. These days I appreciate a movie that is out of the norm.

SS Nazi steals the movie.

Saw it last night. I loved it! Tarantino kills off some good guys and bad guys just when I was expecting a non-hostile resolution.

Christoph Waltz as the SS officer is rumored to be considered for an Oscar. He deserves one for his efforts.

As a note, has anyone gotten the idea that Tarantino has a foot fetish. With the exception of "Reservoir Dogs", he has a woman's foot somewhere in his movies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forty-One</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that the language controversy has started, I'll definitely see this one. Someone told me SNATCH was too stupid to see because of Pitt's wierd accent, but I LOL'ed through the entire movie. Instant epic.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4LJw6PAi5Q8"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4LJw6PAi5Q8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

The voice over from Bruce Almighty was to die for. I couldn't stop laughing. Great stuff.

A little slower than I expected. Seems like this is an example of selective editing on the trailers. Still, overall a good show.

Hmmm? Reviews go both ways, guess I will just have to go watch it.

I saw it today.
A very entertaining movie.

That opening scene was a real piece of work.
To create that level of tension with brand new characters in just a few minutes is masterful.
Great acting and beautiful camera work.

The rest of the movie was patented QT insanity.

It was pointed out to me today that I never saw "Death Proof".
I'll fix that error this weekend.

Excellent film. I'm a huge Tarantino fan and it did not disappoint. I thought Pitt was pretty funny. His accent was just part of the film. I own all of Tarantino's films and will add this one to my collection when it comes out on video.

If you didn't like "Snatch" you've got issues. that movie was a freaking classic. Actually, I think I'll watch it.

You have to be a director/film buff to truly appreciate this film. This is possibly Tarentino's masterpiece, it goes very deep into filmography and pays homage to a lot of actors and directors in the film industry.

Heres some things you wouldn't pick up on as a typical movie go-er.

The film title comes from Enzo Castellari's film Inglorious Bastards. Enzo himself cameos in this film as a high ranking nazi officer.

Samuel L Jackson is the narrator.

Mike Myers plays the role of the british General, and actor Rod Taylor came out of retirement to play Churchill.

Bradd Pitt plays as 'Aldo Raine' but the character role is paying homage to the actor Aldo Ray who starred in war films such as Men in War(1957), and Battle Cry(1955).

The german 'Hugo Stiglitz' is another character who's name is honoring a 70's mexploitation actor, Hugo Stiglitz. The theme music for his scenes come from the blaxploitation movie Slaughter(1972) starring Jim Brown.

Bo Svenson makes a cameo in the nazi movie 'Nations Pride', which was directed by Eli Roth, who also portrays the 'bear jew' in the film.

The actress casted to play Bridget Von Hammersmark was Diane Kruger. Tarentino wanted Natassja Kinski, Klaus Kinski's daughter to play that role. There is a song in the film that came from a movie Kinski starred in called 'Cat People'.

Tarentino also wanted Adam Sandler to play Eli Roth's role as the 'bear jew' but he was involved in the 'Funny People' film project and was unable to make the schedule work.

Christopher Waltz's role as Hans Landa was originally going to go to Leonardo DiCaprio too. Waltz received an award at the Cannes film festival for best actor in this film.

All that stuff aside, the film draws heavily from the 'spaghetti westerns' and 'macaroni combat' films from the mid 60s.

~~~~~~SPOILER-ESQUE~~~~~~~~~
In one of the final scenes, the 2 remaining basterds inside the film theatre are seen unloading machine guns on the attendees in the audience, dressed in tuxedos with slicked back hair in a very characteristic italian mobster fashion.

Overall, i thought it was a very entertaining film to watch even if all the filmography stuff goes over your head. Listen to Quentin Tarentino give an interview about his movies, he will bore you to death about mundane things like lighting and directors that don't appeal at all to the average movie goer.

It was entertaining, but much different then what you might expect. It it classic Tarentino style using the chapter breakdown he likes to do. I still think Pulp Fiction is his masterpiece IMO, but its also my 1st Tarentino film. Powder's knowledge into Tarentino's work is quite amazing. I think he should start a movie review thread I can read before going to the movies. Currently, my wife wont see a movie it Rotten Tomatos.com doesnt give it a good review.

... I still like District 9 a little better.