• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Inherent accuracy" and precision 30-06 barrels

targetterror

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2008
Boston, MA
I'm aware of the various discussion back and forth about 30-06 v 308, and also am aware that a 308 is considered more "inherently accurate" than a 30-06. However, much of what I've heard has been in the context of high power, which of course is usually limited to the various service rifles (at least insofar as 308 v 30-06 is considered).

My question is, to what extent do modern, custom barrels render this generalization irrelevant? Ie, if you have a custom build such that the only difference is a 30-06 v 308 barrel, does the quality of modern aftermarket barrels mean they should both be more less as accurate? I know that there are extremely accurate custom 30-06 rifles, but I'm wondering about relative accuracy.

Re: "Inherent accuracy" and precision 30-06 barrels

There are far more factory 308 rifles desiged for "match" accuracy, and a vast supply of factory match grade ammo for the 308, not so much with the 30-06. A custom built 30-06 with a fine barrel using handloads will shoot, and shoot well, it is a VERY capable round.

Kirk R