• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Inhumane Sniper Rifle....maybe

our gang

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2007
Cora, Wyoming
When poor Achmed is hit between the eyes with an 80 gr 6mm TTSX traveling at 3750 fps, does he suffer more or less than a center mass hit with a 308?

Custom 700 244 Holland & Holland with 6-24 Nikon. Maybe the Geneva convention needs a redo?

244HH.png

Re: Inhumane Sniper Rifle....maybe

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When poor Achmed is hit between the eyes with an 80 gr 6mm TTSX traveling at 3750 fps, does he suffer more or less than a center mass hit with a 308?

Custom 700 244 Holland & Holland with 6-24 Nikon. Maybe the Geneva convention needs a redo?

244HH.png
</div></div>

Well, that's one less terrorist Achmed to worry about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> an 80 gr 6mm TTSX traveling at 3750 fps</div></div>

Jesus man what's the barrel life on that SOB about a box of ammo??!!?!!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Nice stick how does she shoot?

Oneshot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When poor Achmed is hit between the eyes with an 80 gr 6mm TTSX traveling at 3750 fps, does he suffer more or less than a center mass hit with a 308?
</div></div>

negative. the madula ablongata is hit he feels nothing the instant the bullet stikes him. Howdydoit..............Big Grinn>>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....minute of Achmed.....Boltripper grins....... </div></div>

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

As to barrel life. it has a stainless bbl. I've only put about 80 thru it and doubt it will ever see 1000 as it is a very special purpose Yote and Antelope rifle. The ONLY powder that works is H869 (ex H870) unless you want to slow it down to 244 rem levels. The only bullets that will not disintegrate (tried Sierra, Speer & Hornady) are TSXs and TTXs. Partitions & Swifts might work but IME Barnes is my only hunting bullet. It will put 3 shots (good cool down between) in 3/4". Needless to say 5 & 10 shot groups are not in the plan.It will about cut a Yote in 1/2 and since I drew a tag, I anticipate a nice double lung shot on a Speed goat will require no tracking.
Started life as a 300 Weatherby 700 Classic ANNB, sold barrel and stock, had a SAKO extractor added (REM one would not cut it), had Norm at High Plains barrel it with a Kiff (new) reamer, tuned trigger and got a 700 limited run stock made for 35 Whelens from Gun parts ltd. Brass available from Qual-Cartridge (H&H imports no ammo) although it needs a bit of work (FL size, fireform with 244 rem load, inside ream necks to .244, check OAL and then load. Getting about 5 reloads from a case which at the PSI generated is fine. (Factory 244 H&H loads are known to blow primers in factory rifles! 100 gr @3600 claimed) Totally silly project but so was my 22-06. (70 gr TSX @3600)
But, I'm only trying to help end the recession......

I think I would still want to send a 175 SMK at 2650 between the eye's...
grin.gif

The screamers are fun, but the shine wears off
Its been a couple years since I have played with it, but I have a 6x284, when I was runnin the chrono I seem to remember somewhere in the 3600 range with 75gr V-max. was able to hit 4100 with a 55gr nos BT. its been at least 2 years since I have even pulled that thing out of the safe, I remember getting it spending about 2 days working it on the range to see what it would do, shot a doe with it and moved on to the next project. i built it for speed, but once the shine wore off wasnt really interested in it much anymore.

and photo,

figured it would work well on a TX whitetail. I think it actually blew the spots off this one!
laugh.gif

I hit it in the heart but blew its eye out, go figure

15673DSC01311.JPG

I vote he has less pain with the between the eyes hit....so use the slower bullet in the heart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When poor Achmed is hit between the eyes with an 80 gr 6mm TTSX traveling at 3750 fps, does he suffer more or less than a center mass hit with a 308?</div></div>

Who Cares? (if he suffers more or less)

Jimmy,
As requested, My H&Hs:
The 244 85 TSX factory OAL 3.55
The 300 (Super 30) 180 TSX
The 375 270 TSX
The 400 400 Woodleigh (what the factory uses)

Introduction sequence: 375, 300, 244, 400.

The new 400 pushes a 400 gr @ 2650 but I'm kinda wondering how fast I could get a 300 TSX going..... got 3000 with a 210 old X in the 375.

Anyway here are the cartridges and my custom 700 400 H&H. thanks.

HHs.jpg

DSCN1124.jpg

Another old dead Barnes myth. The old X (no grooves) would foul a bit more in a rough barrel. The new TSX, MRX & TTSX foul no more than any other bullet. Even the Old X in a good barrel was no fouler. My Sauer 90 Lux has a true mirror bore. I went through over 100 210gr "old" Xs developing a 375 H&H Antelope load that exceeded 3000 fps and shot 3 in under 1". I cleaned it once at 50 rounds because I changed powders. You really gotta think about:"Am I gonna worry more about a bit of fouling or about consistent bullet performance when I might, at most, fire 10 rounds on a hunt? The fact that NOW everyone seems to be copying the Barnes design tells me all I need to know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jimmy,
As requested, My H&Hs:
The 244 85 TSX factory OAL 3.55
The 300 (Super 30) 180 TSX
The 375 270 TSX
The 400 400 Woodleigh (what the factory uses)

Introduction sequence: 375, 300, 244, 400.

The new 400 pushes a 400 gr @ 2650 but I'm kinda wondering how fast I could get a 300 TSX going..... got 3000 with a 210 old X in the 375.

Anyway here are the cartridges and my custom 700 400 H&H. thanks.

HHs.jpg

DSCN1124.jpg

</div></div>

Holy dogshit, Batman! I bet that thing kicks worse than my .50. Thanks for the pics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The new 400 pushes a 400 gr @ 2650 but I'm kinda wondering how fast I could get a 300 TSX going..... got 3000 with a 210 old X in the 375.
</div></div>

That's a good 200fps faster than either the 416 Rem and 416 Rigby factory loadings and just under the 416 Weatherby. Just dont see that happening on a H&H case. I have to ask, you have any idea what the pressures are?

You are, of course, correct I was saying 400 and reading my data on 325 old Xs (no longer made).

Here's the real poop. You might note that the 416 Rem has a poor rep in Africa due to pressure issues and the 416 Rigby is FACTORY loaded rather conservative due to all the older guns, like opened up 98 Mausers, (yes it can be done) in that caliber.
Now a 416 Rigby in a Ruger #1 could be a really hairy animal.

"The new .400 Holland & Holland Magnum cartridge is a big bore cartridge intended to work in a conventional (.375 H&H) full length magnum action while avoiding the problems of the .416 Remington Magnum. (Excessive pressure, probably heat induced, is the suspected culprit in the case of the .416 Rem.) Unlike the .416 Rigby, the new .400 H&H is based on the .375 H&H case and does not require an oversize action.

Holland & Holland seek to avoid these problems with their new .400. The .400 H&H will be loaded to moderate pressure and uses a slightly tapered case with sloping shoulders for maximum feed reliability in bolt action rifles. This is a cartridge designed for 100% reliability in African climates and its intended use is against large, dangerous animals. It is also intended to generate moderate recoil and muzzle blast without the necessity for barrel porting or muzzle brakes.

Specifications of interest to reloaders include a standard magnum rim diameter of .532". Overall case length is 2.85" (the same as the .375 case), and the cartridge overall length is 3.50". Bullet diameter is .411" and factory loaded bullets are to be supplied by Woodleigh of Australia. These will be the same 400 grain Premium solid and Weldcore soft point bullets sold to reloaders and used in .450/400 NE factory loads.

In addition, Hornady offers a 300 grain .411" Interlock bullet to reloaders. This bullet is intended for the .405 Winchester, and with moderate reloads it should be quite suitable for North American CXP3 game in the .400 H&H. And one could probably use .410" jacketed pistol bullets intended for the .41 Magnum revolver cartridge for low velocity, low recoil practice loads.

I have yet to see any reloading data for the .400 H&H, but I suspect that medium burning rate rifle powders such as H335, H4895, RL-12, and IMR 4895 might be a reasonable place to start.

Holland & Holland factory load ballistics call for a 400 grain bullet at a muzzle velocity of 2375 fps and ME of 5011 ft. lbs. At 100 yards the figures are 2157 fps and 4125 ft. lbs. These numbers are for a rifle with a 24" barrel."

As usual H&H is thinking about reliable cartridges. That's why the 300, 375 and 400 H&H look the way they do and have belts.
The factory ammo case can be slightly undersize as it headspaces on the belt and the shape ensure faultless feeding. That's important when hunting things that are large, fast and mean.
It is as easy to load as the 375 and shoots 3 into 1" with boring regularity.