• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Initial equip purchase for a new reloader..Missing

DamnDave

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2009
California
I am 100% new to reloading and just purchased this equipment to start.

Any tips and/or suggestions would be helpful

This is what I bought. Total cost about $1000. I plan to reload Match 223 and 308. Way later down the line I plan on going progressive and pushing out bulk 223 and handgun ammo.

Lyman 49th Edition Reloading Handbook
RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press
Redding Type S Match Bushing 2-Die Set 308 Winchester & Bushings
Redding Type S Match Bushing 2-Die Set 223 Remington & Bushings
RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool
RCBS Shellholder #3
RCBS Shellholder #10
Cabela's Case Tumbler Kit
Smith & Wesson Electronic Caliper 6" Stainless Steel
RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Powder Scale and Dispenser Combo 110 Volt
Forster Original Case Trimmer Kit
L.E. Wilson Chamfer and Deburring Tool
Possum Hollow Chamfer and Deburring Tool Power Adapter
RCBS Pow'r Pull Bullet Puller
One Shot Case Lube
Satern Powder Funnel 30 Caliber Aluminum and Brass
RCBS Precision Mic Gauge
RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Combo
MTM Ammo Box 50rd X4
Frankford Arsenal Reloading Trays 223 X2
Frankford Arsenal Reloading Trays 308 X2

Re: Initial equip purchase for a new reloader..Missing

Damn.. That's a lot of exciting boxes to unpack!
You've obviously done your homework!
Nothing immediately springs to mind, it's a good list!

At some point you'll want a chrono, if you don't have one already,

Maybe a stuck-case removal kit will be useful to have kicking around,
(hopefully never have to use it)

Seeing as you sound pretty serious about making nice ammo,
Glen zedikers reloading book is a good (but difficult) read, further down the line when you've gotten comfortable with your equipment!

Good luck!

Oh, and at some point you will want to look into annealing, but don't worry about that to begin with!
smile.gif

Lee Universal Depriming and Decapping Die

cheap and protects those expensive dies

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lee Universal Depriming and Decapping Die

cheap and protects those expensive dies </div></div>

Doesn't the "Redding Type S Match Bushing 2-Die Set" do the decapping?

Yes. Some shooters prefer to deprime seperately.

That looks like a well researched list!My only thoughts are collets for the bullet puller.Some day you will need a stuck case remover,or the tools to do it with. Pete

Forester press to get rid of those pesky shell holders and hand priming tool? I was in the same place a year ago (first time reloader doing the same calibers) and my shooting partner talked me into doing this and I haven't had any regrets.

I also found that hornday oal gauge came in helpful also.

Lose the oneshot and pick up some Imperial sizing wax.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lose the oneshot and pick up some Imperial sizing wax. </div></div>
+1 ... I used one shot until I discovered Imperial. If I had started using Imperial from day one I would have never needed a stuck case remover.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lose the oneshot and pick up some Imperial sizing wax. </div></div>

Good thing that stuff was only $6. I'll pick some up some Imperial next purchase.

Hate to be a pessimist, but you need from my experience a stuck case remover. RCBS makes a great one. Also recommend atleast a or RCBS bullet remover with collets (2).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlliedArmory</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lee Universal Depriming and Decapping Die

cheap and protects those expensive dies </div></div>

Doesn't the "Redding Type S Match Bushing 2-Die Set" do the decapping? </div></div>

Yes but the Lee is like $15 and allows you to deprime uncleaned brass without risk of damaging your dies both from putting dirty cases in them and risk of breaking your pins. It isn't 100% necessity but for the cost it is worth the purchase.

As above, give serious consideration to the Forster press. It doesn't need shellholders and it has a priming station that seats very consistently so you wouldn't need the hand held version.

Best thing I ever did, one shot (replace the o with an I and you have a better name) cost me a bunch of stuck cases and wasted time....

I picked up the Lyman weight set. It's not expensive and gives you confidence on the accuracy of your scale.

Kaytee Walnut Pet bird litter from PetSmart, its about four times cheaper than getting case tumbler media from a gun shop and is the same, works great.