• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Initial evaluations of the Shooter Kestrel meter (APPLIED BALLISTICS) demo

Christopher Rance

CR2 Shooting Solutions
Minuteman
I received the Demo unit today and I must say I'm impressed so far with some of the unique features on the AB unit. I'll just list some of the notable features that the AB has over the Horus Model. Again, The AB unit is only a demo and not all features have been implemented. I'm just covering the ones that made it into the demo. Also, I want to reiterate that the Horus Kestrel is getting a facelift as well and will receive an upgrade in the coming months.

The General layout of the AB model is the same as the Horus model. The three main data inputs are gun, target and environment. The aiming solutions for Elevation, windage and coriolis are displayed on the main AB screen.

Gun Information screen include:
Muzzle Velocity
Drag Curve
Ballistic Coefficient
Bullet Weight
Bullet Diameter
Bullet Length
Zero Range
Bore Height
Rifle Twist
Twist direction
Sight Adjustment

New Features are:
Drag Curve
True MV
True DSF
View DSF

Drag Curve: The AB model allows the user to use G1, G7 or AB custom drag curves. The Kestrel came preloaded with 6 custom drag curves:
.308 175gr SMK
.300 Win Mag 190gr SMK
.308 230gr Berger Target Hybird
.338 250gr Lapua Scenar
.338 300gr Lapua Scenar
.338 Berger target Hybird

nugaq.jpg

Additional custom drag curves will be accessible through the AB Gun Loader software.

True MV: This allows you to calibrate your muzzle velocity based on the actual drop of a round at a range where the bullet is supersonic. The number shown in the top right of the screen is the suggested range distance at which to true muzzle velocity. It represents the mid point of the supersonic for the gun solution selected.
176aza.jpg

True Drop Scale Factor: This allows the user to enter and maintain a table of drop scale factors (DSF) that utilize observed drop at range to true the elevation computation. The number shown to the top right represents the distance at which to apply a drop scale factor for transonic flight. Additional drop scale factors can be added to the DSF table by shooting at greater distances including sub sonic flight.
ri6aec.jpg

The DSF provides a finer level of control in the subsonic flight than BC-Mach/Dist tables, especially when used with custom drag curves that Applied Ballisitcs has computed for many common bullets.
29n85ef.jpg

Another updated feature is the Inclination angle can now be inputted as a positive or negative angle.

Also the Gun Loader software is really smooth and no error screens ;)
wksaog.jpg

I'll keep playing with this model and will be validating it Tuesday out to 1610 meters.

Will the cable connection enable all the same functions as would be available through Bluetooth?
Skip

Are the hours BT kestrel owners going to get an update as well?

Any OS X Support?

Thanks

Both of your questions were answered by a Kestrel rep in a previous thread. The answer to both is yes. The update will require you to send it in and it won't be an expensive upgrade, but if won't be free either.

Man, I really wish that a product like this with blue tooth could be upgraded at home. That's a big downer for something that costs as much as an ipad.

What kinda price we go an be looking at? Does the Bluetooth really help or would one without Bluetooth be the same? I still haven't gotten into useing Bluetooth so I'm just asking.

Do I understand correctly that the non-bluetooth model can be connected to a computer using a cable?

Applied Ballistics Updates:
There have been quite a few major improvements made to the PC Loader Application:
• 175+ Custom Drag Curves by Bryan Litz now Accessible through the bullet library
• User interface improvements to allow for more rapid and reliable construction and uploading of profiles
• Improved feedback to the user on the status of data transfers
• Stability improvements
Speed, usability, and accuracy improvements have been made to the Kestrel itself:
• Muzzle velocity and Drop Scale Factor Truing speed increased by a factor of 5x
• Automatic updating of Drop Scale Factor table when muzzle velocity truing is performed
• New management of guns allow for easy editing and deletion of guns

One of the advanced features of the Kestrel AB is the usage of bullet length to more accurately calculate the spin drift of the round. When using the PC loader software and selecting a bullet from the library, the bullet length is automatically populated. However, if not using the PC loader application, it is possible to approximate the bullet length to still provide an accurate spin drift calculation. We are working on another software fix for this, but for now, we recommend the following bullet lengths for the listed calibers.
• 0.223" caliber = 0.9"
• 0.308" caliber = 1.3"
• 0.338" caliber = 1.4"

Are we still looking at a June release for the preorders??? I hope so as I was hoping to get mine back in April.

I'm sorry if this had been asked, I did do a search for my question. I have a 4500nv BT can the AB program be added to my Kestrel?

Sorry it cannot be added. It's a different processor.

Shipping update. If you preordered the AB then your looking at June. If you plan on buying it now or later then July for that.

Thank you for the reply.

Right on for the shipping update! I hope it makes it on this prediction. We are all looking forward to its awesomeness, and I'm sure "the wait" will have been well worth it.