• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Initial Impressions-March FFP

SSSamurai

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2010
Snohomish, Wa.
This isn't intended to be a review, just a little teaser and a few pics and comments to satisfy those who are waiting for theirs.
First off, Ian and the crew at Kelbly's are great. I had a very good experience dealing with them and wanted to make sure that gets mentioned.
I wish I had a good camera, but all I had was my phone. I took as many pictures as I could and sorted out the decent ones. I attempted to take reticle pictures but they would give you all headaches if I posted them. Sorry.
IMG00446-20110512-1756.jpg

IMG00434-20110512-1715.jpg

IMG00436-20110512-1716.jpg

IMG00443-20110512-1743.jpg

IMG00445-20110512-1744.jpg

I shouldn't have been surprised at the size and weight, but I was. It's the size of a Leupy MK4 10X, and about the same weight. The similarities end there though.
The low-profile knobs have 10 mils per turn, with a total travel of 27 mils in this particular scope. There are markings under the knobs that you can use to count revolutions, but it also has a very simple zero stop. You can set it with a coin, just screw it down until it stops and you're set. Knobs are marked every mil, 0 through 9. Turning the knob feels almost exactly like my S&B single turn knob. Clicks are tactile, positive and audible, but not loud or unusually stiff.
The reticle is just like the IOR MP-8 dot, but I like the changes they've made. Increasingly thicker lines as you zoom out makes it easy for the eye to automatically center the reticle, even though the center is very fine. The even numbered mils are marked, should be easy to keep track of.
If there are any optical shortcomings, they are beyond my ability to discern. I was comparing this to an S&B and an IOR, with all of them at 10X, and the only difference I could see was in the tone. The March is a little colder, I guess you could say. The resolution was amazing, and continued to be amazing all the way up to 24X. Everything is sharp and well-defined.

The bummer is I have to work all weekend, so I don't get to play with it for a bit. I have a rifle on the way, should be getting it all set up around the middle of next week. I intend to run the crap out of this scope, hopefully shooting matches, so I will report back on the reliability. I know there are a lot of questions about that.
Anyhow, those are my first impressions.
Jason

Re: Initial Impressions-March FFP

Very nice, that is the perfect scope for my M1a but no way I could afford it.

Please post some thoughts on the low light ability of the scope when you get a chance to use it. I love the lower weight on these but the small exit pupil would make me think the low light ability at higher mags is probably a little lacking. I feel this way about my IOR on 18 power with 42 mm obj. also.

The non-illuminated was $2230, I believe the illuminated is 2830. That's without shipping.

I know it is a personal preference, and intended use, but do you feel the illumination is needed?

It's pure personal preferance.

I personally think Illumination is just a waste of money, I can use the regular black reticle in low light w/o a problem.

But alot of people need/like it.

Have a look throught a scope with it and one w/o and see if you can constitute the extra $$ for it.

BTW nice piece of glass you got there

Is illumination that pricey in other scopes? $600?

On edit a look over at uso shows $185 extra for illumination

2200 w/o makes it seem very well priced. The different illumination brightness modules are only $150 for these scopes. Wonder where the other 450 comes from?

I was kinda curious about the price difference due to illumination as well... I'm currently looking at this scope or another S&B so I appreciate the pics & insight SSSamurai.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: problemchild</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The different illumination brightness modules are only $150 for these scopes. Wonder where the other 450 comes from?</div></div>

The "module" appears to be basically just the battery cover and switch and a bit of electronics, not the actual illumination hardware.

i know of one that is in use and the owner says it is a good scope. really likes the size, says the clicks are positive with zero back lash. Can't wait to get one

Looks good I hope it works out for you. I'd like to see it next to a premier or USO.

What was the time span from order to delivery?

Does it tunnel? If so, at what power does the tunneling start?

If you are looking at this scope , then you have already made up your mind , that you want a trim/compact scope , and as such , the non-Illuminated model has a much more compact and trim Para knob , by NOT having the Illumination add on , the para Knob .

Me I would take it with out .

I would like to knnow IF they ever intend to make CW direction knobs for the European market etc .

As all my S&B PMIIs are CW .

Later Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was the time span from order to delivery?</div></div>

Not really relevant because right now the very first production batch to arrive in the US is shipping. Most of the people getting a scope from this batch preordered months ago. If you want to know how long it will take to get one if you order now, call Kelbly's. They are the sole importer and distributor in the US.

I couldn't justify the extra 600 for illumination. I just don't use it that often. It's totally my opinion, but I think illumination is overrated. At least for civilians.
There is no tunneling, which I was amazed to see. As previously mentioned, I had an IOR and S&B to compare to, so I'm used to tunneling. I may be meeting up with some guys next weekend who have other S&B and Premier scopes, we will try to take some notes. I should be shooting with this scope by then, so I will try to add more to the 'review'.
Kelbly's is awesome, the day they get your scope, they will ship it out to you. As mentioned above, the timespan will depend entirely on where you fall on the list, as they come into the country.

I just got my Butler Creek caps in for this scope, 14 eye and 33 obj fits perfect.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you are looking at this scope , then you have already made up your mind , that you want a trim/compact scope , and as such , the non-Illuminated model has a much more compact and trim Para knob , by NOT having the Illumination add on , the para Knob .</div></div>

Just got mine and been playing with it. The illumination module appears to add 7mm to how far the parallax knob sticks out. It's not exactly going to turn the scope into a boat anchor.
smile.gif

The scope is awesome. I will post some photos and impressions in a new thread in a day or two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSSamurai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got my Butler Creek caps in for this scope, 14 eye and 33 obj fits perfect. </div></div>

Could you measure the objective diameter with the #33 cap on for us?

Just got the call today, mine is in and getting ready for shipping.

Without including the hinge or the tabs I get 2.22" diameter with the cap on. I just got the mount to put it on my new (to me) rifle, check it out...
IMG00451-20110520-1949.jpg

IMG00449-20110520-1947.jpg

IMG00454-20110520-1950.jpg

IF the March weighs similar to Leupold Mark 4 10x, then it IS The Default BEST OPTION going.

Most of the "best optics" scopes weigh as much as a boat anchor. Guys denigrate Leupold for lack of quality or other nonsense, but most of the heavy-assed "best glass" instruments are sitting on 17 to 22 lb rifles. Might as well be shooting an Unlimited benchrest gun for "precision" once you get over 15lbs.

Great Glass and lightweight is an incredible engineering feat! Congratulations March/Kelby!

Gonna hammer nails with your scope?

I favor the Leupold variables and fixed mk4s and the 24mm NXS scopes because of their weight advantage. Easily half the weight of the full-size Nightforce, IOR, S&B, etc. Very Nice to also see that the ocular lens is fairly short rather than the long-assed affair so many, particularly like IOR. Had an IOR that was so long in occular lens and magnifying ring that it couldn't be mounted on a Sako TRG-42 unless using the full-length factory rail, and then it just barely fit.

The ergonomics of sniperscope design are not typically considered. A scope that can't mount on a Picatinny rail w/o some extension and needs a monolithic rail to work in the AR-platform is just pathetic. Why? A scope is a sight and not a spotting scope or observational telescope.

I find that the weight of most rifles touted for tactical/sniping/precision makes them impractical and overengineered for task. A 19lb AR-10, and that is what one weighs when setup with magpul sniper stock, USO, IOR, Premier, S&B, Hensoldt "tactical scope" and a full 20rd magazine plus all the crap guys hang on the extra rails and saddlebag on the offside rifle butt, is useful only as a crew-served weapon. Most are .308win and that limits them to an 850yd actual viability.

Guy says he wants a March for his M1a... It's a Free Country, but... Before you invest this kind of money in an optic, try an Armalite AR-10 and get a 1/2moa capable rifle that has no scope mounting issues, then see what your needs are.

Lightweight Great Glass optic is a real 21st Century accomplishment, but if you have a Field Rifle, one that is a real-world intended shooting machine, you likely won't benefit from a "Great Glass" optic.

Lightweight rifle optimized ammunition and rugged simple scopesight that weighs maybe 12 or 12.5lbs is about the upper-limit for a field weapon.

I love mine. I'm using it for a hunting scope. I think it's pretty hard to beat for a hunting scope. Light as hell and zero stops, and one of the best reticules out there IMO